Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ramps or hitch mounted carrier ?

Ramps or hitch mounted carrier ?

What do you guys prefer I’ve always loaded my stuff with ramps but thinking about a hitch mounted carrier for my CRF

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Ramps or hitch mounted carrier ?

uh...are you talking ramps in the bed of a pickup? I have an SUV and use a hitch carrier for most bikes under 600lbs.

i've used all three methods (carrier, ramps into bed, ramps onto trailer) over the years but for a dirt bike, hitch mount carriers are super handy as long as the vehicle isn't too tall and can handle the tounge weight ... the anti-wobble brackets also help quite a bit.

i've had my justhitchit.com carrier for ~13 years. we still use it every trip to the Berkshires on the back of my buddies full-size GMC. works great and leaves more room in the bed for all our crap with one bike in the bed and one on carrier.

Beta 200RR

Yes I meant loading into a truck bed

I personally don’t trust those hitch carriers, nor do I have storage for a trailer, so I ride my bike (like a man) onto a ramp, then drag the ramp behind a truck with a chain until the bike falls off and I get pulled over

Edit: oh you meant use the ramps to ride into a truck. Oh yeah, I do that...with a winch

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-11-19 at 04:44 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

I'd rather do ramps. Tried the hitch carrier once. Bike almost took out out the rear glass of my xterra when i was dentensioning the straps. In a truck no issue with that however.

I just feel more secure with ramps, bike in bed. But could see the benefits with the hitch, just a preference

hmmmm......

I have a ton of miles on my hitch carrier with no issues. Using the right tie-downs is essential.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have used my hitch carrier for my Vstrom, SV and ZX6 with my Silverado. I do have to say loading a bike on a hitch carrier is a walk in the park if the ramp has a chock in comparison to loading into a modern 1/2 ton truck. I trusted mine with an SV strapped in all the way down to Summit Point for a weekend with no worries.

The one con I had with my hitch carrier was how much it would resonate when you went over some North East highway bumps. It may be a different story with something smaller like a 250f on the back. If I didn’t get a free single rail trailer I would have kept mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ramps or hitch mounted carrier ?-7cbba87a-bab9-4ed7-af36-96980f5c31cb  

Last edited by Crconnor18; 02-11-19 at 08:44 PM.

I have the lightest weight all aluminum hitch mount carrier. Add-A-Bike hitch carrier without straps. AB HOME This thing is super light for one hand carry to the back of the SUV. I even bent one of the cross braces backing into a tree leaving an event. The add-a-bike owner sent me two cross braces in the mail and told me to learn how to drive (Seriously he wrote that on a 3m post it stuck to the brace when I took it out of the envelope). The unique design of that hook over the seat and the pin through the foot peg holds the bike better than you would think. It does sway and move around but the bike stays on even when I have caught a little air and blew my tire on a massive pot hole. (Thanks Rt2 Gardner)

Ramps or hitch mounted carrier ?-img_1199-jpg
    That said I bought a truck and now use ramps. It's a no brainer. The bike is out of the way and no worries about ground clearance pulling out some crazy pitched driveway or it somehow slapping the back of the SUV when a hauling mount gives way.

Still if I go back to an SUV I still have my no rust aluminum hitch carrier ready to be pressed back into action. I actually am quite fond of it. LOL

Send cash... I need a track day

With the hitch carrier we used set of add-on tail/brake lights, plugged into trailer harness. I’ve heard anecdotally of people being stopped or ticketed for obstructed lights.

I added a cheapie amazon 48" truck bed light strip with turn signals that came with the 4-pin trailer plug and I've never had an issue. It's pictured in my previous post.

I have a cheap hitch carrier for a dirt bike

Once I invented ratchet strapping the WHEELS down I have had no problems

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I much prefer using my hitch hauler or kendon trailer to loading bikes in the bed of my truck. I'm short. Loading dirtbikes in the bed is a drag. Also, two bikes never seem to stay secure in the bed. So, 1 bike, hitch hauler, 2 bikes, kendon. But in a pinch, truck bed.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I have a ton of miles on my hitch carrier with no issues. Using the right tie-downs is essential. [IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190211/011f52678e30c2785b1ac48922e47019.jpg[/IMG

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I like the width of your carrier, the one I have is much narrower. The first time you use a hitch ramp you're nervous as hell but I have a ton (ok not a full 2k lbs - would not ever try to haul my XDiavel..) of faith with mine. Just be sure to use a tensioner so it doesnt rock back and forth on the box receiver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ramps or hitch mounted carrier ?-20180516_190922-jpg   Ramps or hitch mounted carrier ?-20181222_090957-jpg  

Last edited by CMG241; 02-13-19 at 08:55 AM.

One of the guys on the Sprinter forum did something that’s now being copied.

He mounted 1-1/4” hitches to each side, and bolted receivers to the carrier. Much stronger, no see-sawing, but still comes right off.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I added a cheapie amazon 48" truck bed light strip with turn signals that came with the 4-pin trailer plug and I've never had an issue. It's pictured in my previous post.
    Who makes the carrier that you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

He mounted 1-1/4” hitches to each side, and bolted receivers to the carrier. Much stronger, no see-sawing, but still comes right off.
    I bet all you would need is one extra receiver about 2 feet apart from the center one. to make it easier to put the hauler on, I'd leave the extra spar an inch or 2 shorter.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    Who makes the carrier that you are using?
    I believe it is this one: https://www.discountramps.com/smc-60...QaApHtEALw_wcB

I also ditched the anti-wobble device that came with it and bought this which works great https://smile.amazon.com/StowAway-Ti...gateway&sr=8-6

I have been using one for a couple years now, big fan but the only variable that becomes an issue when you are loading/unloading a bike alone is the rake/length of your bike vs the height of your SUV/truck. Having the bottom hang up mid way down is a drag, ramps can always be longer than supplied.

I have used a hitch carrier but I don’t like the amount of tongue weight they use up.

Last edited by Jayspeed; 07-20-19 at 01:45 PM.
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

Lol I did this to a corolla LOL - I had two 2” receivers welded to a hitch, then bolted the hitch to the car. Sagged quite a bit, but super secure and convenient for quickie rips

I am thinking about going back to a carrier and using the bed of the truck (with a TruXedo) for storage. Throw the carrier, ramp, dirt bike gear and gas can in the truck bed (locked under a cover) all the time.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-21-19 at 05:08 PM.