Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Another random insurance question

Another random insurance question

I got rear-ended in Boston on Sunday while on the bike, very little damage to the bike itself but the exhaust took the biggest hit and it's not bent upwards. How do insurance companies go about paying out for the damages? I contacted the drivers insurance company and they're supposed to send an appraiser out this week, but i'm more curious as to if they'll cover aftermarket equipment to it's value or are they just going to pay for the OEM exhaust replacement?

Sorry, never had a situation like this happen to me so I'm slightly lost on the process. I also do not have receipts for the exhaust or anything

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Another random insurance question

In MA its 100% the other dirvers fault if the rear-end you. And in some cases the OEM or stocker is worth a lot more to replace than an aftermarket so I wouldn't worry about it. Just be honest with the guy.....they see you trying to make a buck and will give you the bottom dollar at most.. my 2 cents

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    In MA its 100% the other dirvers fault if the rear-end you. And in some cases the OEM or stocker is worth a lot more to replace than an aftermarket so I wouldn't worry about it. Just be honest with the guy.....they see you trying to make a buck and will give you the bottom dollar at most.. my 2 cents
    +1

Those motorcycle adjusters know their shit, and the two I have met have ridden dozens of bikes. Guy once told me he had a kid scuff his fairings with a brick because he was trying to get it totaled. I asked him how he knew and he responded with "when you lowside a bike the scrapes typically aren't in three difference directions pointing towards the same area..."

Bottom line, they ride, they share your pain, you should be fine. Do a little research to back up how much your can is worth. You should get that + labor to fix. Then do it yourself.

Perfect, that's what i needed to know. Also anyone know what I should do when i get an angry phone call at 11:30pm from the other driver really pissed off about me going through insurance instead of just through him? lol, he said he would settle everything out of insurance, i gave him a chance and called him the next morning after the accident with no response for 24 hours so i contacted his insurance company. 3 days after the accident he finds out and calls me all pissed off saying he was out on business and saying how he's going to dispute the claim and that he "has witnesses" to the accident etc and started throwing in some racial slurs... not sure if I should contact the cops at this point or just let it go? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by FZR View Post
    Perfect, that's what i needed to know. Also anyone know what I should do when i get an angry phone call at 11:30pm from the other driver really pissed off about me going through insurance instead of just through him? lol, he said he would settle everything out of insurance, i gave him a chance and called him the next morning after the accident with no response for 24 hours so i contacted his insurance company. 3 days after the accident he finds out and calls me all pissed off saying he was out on business and saying how he's going to dispute the claim and that he "has witnesses" to the accident etc and started throwing in some racial slurs... not sure if I should contact the cops at this point or just let it go? o.O
    You cant prove any of that. Except that he called you late.

voicemail and also

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrode...77L/story.html

this guy is the one who hit me

*edit*
    I just decided to google him to see what his "business" was since he told me that he was a father, fellow motorcycle rider, business owner, etc etc and he wasn't about to screw me out of payment for the damages to the bike... i'm kinda glad i contacted the insurance company, I actually felt bad and didn't want to call the cops for such a small matter but now after getting some sketchy phone call at 11:20pm and seeing all this sketchyyy stuff i think i mgiht want to contact the cops

Last edited by FZR; 05-24-12 at 12:29 AM.

Wirelessly posted (Tilt)

I have literally caught shoplifters with 30+ prior convictions and one for murder 2 (way back when) who stole felony amounts for the cops to not give a damn. Just think to yourself, do you have enough information to entertain the Guy who is going to have to choose whether to care or not.

A voicemail where he says his name, social security,etc, number and then a slew of racial slurs followed by a deaththreat made premeditated. Maybe you got something there.

Otherwise get your money from this creeps insurance and smile all the way to the bank.

If you really want to go to the cops go down to your local station and file a report saying he harassed you. I don't think you need any proof to do that. That way its on the books.

Last edited by WordTooYoMamma; 05-24-12 at 08:43 AM.

Equal Opportunity Asshole DroFiveOh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WordTooYoMamma View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt)

I have literally caught shoplifters with 30+ prior convictions and one for murder 2 (way back when) who stole felony amounts for the cops to not give a damn. Just think to yourself, do you have enough information to entertain the Guy who is going to have to choose whether to care or not.

A voicemail where he says his name, social security,etc, number and then a slew of racial slurs followed by a deaththreat made premeditated. Maybe you got something there.

Otherwise get your money from this creeps insurance and smile all the way to the bank.

If you really want to go to the cops go down to your local station and file a report saying he harassed you. I don't think you need any proof to do that. That way its on the books.
    If you don't give a damn, we don't give a fuck!

49 states do it one way, and Massachusetts does it their own way.