Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Range Rover runs over biker(s)

Re: Range Rover kills biker(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Anyone else impressed by the Rover's "off road" ability?
    it did get some good air

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Not me.
    The more I read about this situation, the more I side with the SUV driver. Goes to show how my initial read of a situation is not always the most accurate.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Anyone else impressed by the Rover's "off road" ability?
    No. It's a rover

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    If I had been that driver, I think I'd have called 911 the second I hit that bike. Tell them you're surrounded by hundreds of bikers trying to kick your ass and you're afraid for your life. I wonder if that would have made much of a difference, though.
    Driver apparently did call 911, exactly when is not clear.

Big buzz on the NASIOC Off Topic forum, probably everywhere else!

The driver should have driven to a police station, plant the rover right in the front and watch all the cops come out like angry hornets who's nest just got swatted.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    If I had been that driver...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarine View Post
    The driver should have...
    Lots of Monday morning quarterbacking here. Unfortunately, I do not have the location of every police station in every community I drive through committed to memory. If this were to happen to me I would have no idea where to drive to, except the fuck out of there!

Although I would lock my doors.

This shit is blowing up so quick! It's everywhere on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    This. There's also a rumor going around that they beat the driver into a coma.
    I hope that part is not a rumor! he definitely deserved it!

LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I hope that part is not a rumor! he definitely deserved it!
    So you would have taken the beating on the highway, as opposed to making an attempt to get away after fearing for your life and the lives of any passengers you had with you in the vehicle? The riders made it quite clear, based on them stopping him on the highway and surrounding any escape route he had that some bad shit was about to happen.

Anyone who could try to say they would not have feared for their life and made any attempt necessary to get away at that first encounter is simply lying to themselves.

The terrifying ordeal erupted after Alexian Lien, 33 — who was driving his wife, Rosalyn Ng, and their 5-month-old child — became surrounded by a swarm of motorcycles on the highway near W. 125th St. shortly before 2 p.m., police sources said.

Sources said Lien stopped, but “feared for his safety” as several of the bickering bikers began to damage his SUV.

At one point, the motorcycles surround the SUV — which sources said had a slashed tire — and one of the bikers tries to open the door, but can’t grab Lien out of the seat before he drives away.

One biker takes off his helmet, which he uses to smash through the driver’s side window. Another man tries to punch through a window to the backseat, where Lien’s baby was in a carseat.
    The shocking footage suddenly cuts off — but police said the bikers beat the driver up and slashed his face and chest.

So from an actual article that APPEARS to have some actual information in it:

Large group of bikers, one involved with Range Rover on expressway(no details as to what led to it or how it happened). RR driver actually tries to stop and is then attacked as his vehicle takes damage from other riders. WIFE AND 5 MONTH OLD CHILD IN THE VEHICLE

RR driver attempts to get away as one rider OPENS THE DOOR AND TRIES TO PULL HIM FROM THE VEHICLE

In attempting to get away, he runs over 3 bikes and one rider who happened to be in his path.

He is then caught up to, drivers side window punched out and he is helmet-whipped in front of his wife and infant, while another rider attempts to smash out the rear window with the child on the other side.

-Can anyone here honestly say they would not have done the same thing if they were surrounded by a group of thugs on the highway trying to pull you from your own vehicle with your wife and child in the car? You think they were yanking him out to give him a stern talking to and then let him depart on his merry way?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Lots of Monday morning quarterbacking here. Unfortunately, I do not have the location of every police station in every community I drive through committed to memory. If this were to happen to me I would have no idea where to drive to, except the fuck out of there!

Although I would lock my doors.
    I'm sure that range rover has GPS and some kind of mapping/poi stuff. He had plenty of time to collect his thoughts. Locking doors, yep. But after he ran em over twice I dunno why he stopped. He could have just thrown it in reverse and tripled down when he saw the traffic.

And also, I can Monday Morning QB a life/death situation because I went to Iraq and went through a few of my own. And that's the same shit you're doing with the door locking comment.

And if I was in the same situation, I'd plow my SUV through those dickbags too. That guy on the bike that brake checked him is an idiot, but it's pack mentality. I'm sure the guy's wife was losing it and he was just trying to get his family out of there and if there were bikes in the way so be it. That's fight/flight and those morons DECIDED to pick a fight with a guy who's only way out was using his way larger vehicle.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

He had plenty of time to collect his thoughts.
    Unless his collected thoughts consisted of the word "fuck" repeated over and over again, I completely disagree.

Positively no way I am navigating the POI menu on my GPS under those circumstances. Instead I am standing on the accelerator and praying for daylight.

He had plenty of time to collect his thoughts
    Apparently not. Some people take a lot longer to re-center themselves than others, even moreso given the details (and added stress) of the wife and child being present in the vehicle.

That's great that you were in Iraq and all but until you (and everyone else) are in this exact situation, you don't know how you would react.

Having looked at the video a few times now, this is how I think it happened.

1. Group of bikes was overtaking traffic, with the camera bike near the front of the group.
    2. They overtake RR, in center lane. He maintains speed and bikes pull up on both sides, close behind, and in front.
    3. Squids probably wanted him to slow down, pull over and let them by. His lack of reaction is taken as a sign of disrespect by one rider, who swerves around him from the left, slows and then stops.
    4. Bike go boom. Squids assemble around car. I doubt they were telling him "Welcome to New York."
    5. RR driver, concerned for his family, bolts, riding over bike, because RR. Did you know a Range Rover has a fording depth of 700mm? An owner told me. We were in a mall parking lot.
    6. Bikes take off after him. They have no communication with each other: some did not even see what happened.

Somewhere along the line the driver does call 911. My lawyer told me once: "When in doubt, the one who wins the race to the police station wins."

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said cops were trying to identify some of the bikers, but most of the motorcycles captured in the footage didn’t have license plates on the vehicles. Kelly said police were monitoring the ride — which is loosely organized by the group Hollywood Stuntz. He said the group caused chaos in Times Square when they suddenly showed up and disrupted traffic. The driver, described only as being in his 30s, received stitches to his face after the attack.

Police arrested 15 bikers during Sunday’s event, Kelly said, and several others were issued summonses. Investigators were reviewing nearby surveillance cameras and social media to try and track down the people who attacked Lien, Kelly said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2gPMe6YZN
    Another report says the driver had already called 911, to complain bikers were in front of him and were not responding to his horn.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-30-13 at 03:07 PM.

Biker got was was coming to him. You don't pick a fight with a guy holding a gun and you don't stop in front of a very distracted (by your shithead friends) SUV driver.

Lesson of the day? You need a plow on your SUV in the summer too.

This thread has win already. Parental AND military chest puffing!

MAN I WOULDA MOWED DOWN EVERYONE IN AN SUV OR BIKE THAT DAY FO'SHO I'M BADASS LIKE DAT

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by rg500 View Post
    I wonder how many of those bikes, that had no plates, were stolen?
    I definitely would have called the cops and stayed on the highway until they showed up. I am sure most of the bikers would have quickly disappeared.
    Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said cops were trying to identify some of the bikers, but most of the motorcycles captured in the footage didn’t have license plates on the vehicles. Kelly said police were monitoring the ride — which is loosely organized by the group Hollywood Stuntz. He said the group caused chaos in Times Square when they suddenly showed up and disrupted traffic. The driver, described only as being in his 30s, received stitches to his face after the attack.

Police arrested 15 bikers during Sunday’s event, Kelly said, and several others were issued summonses. Investigators were reviewing nearby surveillance cameras and social media to try and track down the people who attacked Lien, Kelly said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2gPMe6YZN

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Apparently not. Some people take a lot longer to re-center themselves than others, even moreso given the details (and added stress) of the wife and child being present in the vehicle.

That's great that you were in Iraq and all but until you (and everyone else) are in this exact situation, you don't know how you would react.
    I'm glad you think it's great I was in Iraq. You dick.

My take on this...

large pack come up on range rover and are in process of passing the vehicle. the white gsxr notices something and decides to have a chat with him. Possibilities of topic discussed:

Gsxr admired his car and asked about his "dubs"
    The Range Rover left his blinker on and the gsxr was politely letting him know

Most Likely: GSXR saw the Range Rover's driver on his cell phone and got pissed knowing the dangers of being on the phone with such a large group (Mind you the driver could have been calling the police to warn them about the menacing group of riders). The white gxsr was driving parallel for a while then purposely slid over to address the driver before brake checking him.

I'm assuming that swerving to take out as many of the riders would have been a bad thing getting the driver in more trouble and no longer self defense. Like a man breaking into your house and you unloading two clips of rounds into him when he's already down. Nonetheless the drivers has the right to defend himself and I would buy him a beer.

The word on other forums is that the Bikers were vandalizing his vehicle and managed to slash his tire (explains why he would get off the freeway and into the city where he would get boxed in again) when he ran em over. FYI the white gsxr got bumped but could be seen riding off immediately after.

Curious if the dude in the Range Rover suddenly decided he'd had enough and started plowing left and right into bikers as they chased him if he'd have gotten in any trouble. If you're fearing for your life running from hundreds of angry motorcyclists and you have no chance of escape, no police in sight, are you justified in trying to take them out with your car? How much would you do to avoid the serious beating you know you had coming, and to protect your family in that situation?

Open season, pray for the best, or take the beating and hope you or your family doesn't get killed in the process?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I'm glad you think it's great I was in Iraq. You dick.
    Name calling?

Look in the mirror right about now.

Your gratuitous assumptions about this situation aside, I'm not the one posting my life/ death situations on the internet like it's some kind of merit badge as to how I would react to a situation I was not in. You may wanna go back and look at your own words before you take one sentence of mine and twist it into something it isn't.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My rumor to start is Range Rover driven by Taliban

Until I had a CLEAR understanding of what happened before the brake check I will not condemn, baby shmaby I doubt he was super concerned until he provoked a response.

They are stupid though as we all know kicking in his door while passing is the approved response

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Welcome back Paul! Where ya been...!?!?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    My rumor to start is Range Rover driven by Taliban//
    33yo tech wienie with his wife and five month old daughter.