Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rattle can paint job

Rattle can paint job

I have a small tail section that was sent to me with black gel coat on the rear portion. I'd like to paint it to match the rest of my project. I don't have any experience painting other than just coating bare metal to prevent rust. Never attempted anything with a clear coat that I want to look nice. Is it possible to get a decent looking paint job if I put the time and effort in? I was thinking about ordering an oem paint kit for the bike from Color Rite that includes primer, paint and clear. Is it easier to just bring it somewhere and have it painted?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Rattle can paint job

I did some fairing and tank touch up in my garage using color matched paint from PPG and a Preval sprayer. It actually came out pretty good. My only issue was the clear coat went on too thick (held the sprayer too close) and I had to sand/wetsand it to smooth it out. Overall easy enough to do. Preparation is key, make sure the piece is CLEAN, dirt/grease/etc will all screw up your finish.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I have a small tail section that was sent to me with black gel coat on the rear portion. I'd like to paint it to match the rest of my project. I don't have any experience painting other than just coating bare metal to prevent rust. Never attempted anything with a clear coat that I want to look nice. Is it possible to get a decent looking paint job if I put the time and effort in? I was thinking about ordering an oem paint kit for the bike from Color Rite that includes primer, paint and clear. Is it easier to just bring it somewhere and have it painted?
    I'm in a similar boat ... I have never really done much "metal" painting and I am planning on painting my new primed Armour Bodies kit for my R6. I have all the pieces to do and my plan is to use my new HVLP sprayer ( purchase off Amazon ) when the weather gets warmer. Most of the advice I got was to go with a single stage paint, meaning a base/clear combination that goes on during one spray session, of course multiple coats to make it cover right. I got the paint at a local paint shop and will do some test runs on cardboard and old plastics, before I head over to the bodywork.

It's for a track-only bike so perfection is not necessary since I will likely toss it down the track more than once I am going with black like tarmack , yah!

Just get cheap paint at walmart, but order the Spraymax 2X clearcoat. Easy peasy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Just did my whole racebike that way. For the track i don't bother wetsanding and polishing the clear. A little orange peel actually makes it more scratch resistant

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

I painted a portion of the tank on my SV650 several years ago

took the tank off, and brought to to one of my local automotive paint suppliers, they analyzed the color, with sunfade & all, and mixed me up a can of paint, and put it in an aerosol rattle can.

I painted the rub marks on the tank, matched perfectly

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Sorry shoukd have clarified this is for a street bike so I'd like it to look good and be relatively durable. I have a Napa paint store near by. Is a single stage paint still recommend? It's a small area so wet sanding and polishing to achieve a good finish aren't an issue.

Sometimes a single won't give you the depth of a clear coat finish. It will be cheaper to do, and obviously less time. Just be careful, take a part with you and ask the paint guys. They usually are pretty good at their trade.

One bike I touched up was an old RF900R. That bike had a three layer paint, base of gold for the sparkle, red overlay for color, and then a clear over that. To do the touch ups in that manner was going to be $$$ for three layers of that type of paint. The guy at the paint store set me up with a two part, base/clear and matched almost perfect. Sun hitting just right and you could see the difference. I'm just a garage hack so that I'm sure had to do more with it than anything.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Rattle can paint job-2c12b90c-87ab-4d25-91f0-8f92717fec92
    Rattle can all around

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Sorry shoukd have clarified this is for a street bike so I'd like it to look good and be relatively durable. I have a Napa paint store near by. Is a single stage paint still recommend? It's a small area so wet sanding and polishing to achieve a good finish aren't an issue.
    alegedly the oem paint on my SV was 3 stage, base red, pearl, then clear, I got my rattle can mixed at Sanel, and as I said, I matched perfectly, the specrograph picks up any pearl or metalic and the final product has the same depth as a clear coat

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    alegedly the oem paint on my SV was 3 stage, base red, pearl, then clear, I got my rattle can mixed at Sanel, and as I said, I matched perfectly, the specrograph picks up any pearl or metalic and the final product has the same depth as a clear coat
    Awesome thanks. I'm pretty sure the Napa paints store is affiliated with 3M so I'll try there.