Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RC8R tested

RC8R tested

I got to do a full session at Thunderbolt on the RC8R and here are my thoughts:

I'm not a liter bike guy, but I've ridden a few on track. If the RC8R could be summed up in one statement it would be "easy to ride". Ergos were good, turn in was neutral, throttle response was smooth, and the power curve was very linear and predictable. I could lap comfortably on it in just one session.

For me the reach to the bars was a little long, but the tank shape was good, so I didn't feel awkward. I could hang off pretty far and my elbow rested naturally on the tank. The seat was high, but not precarious feeling.

I knew from previous experiences that if you try to putt putt around a track on a superbike they feel lurchy and ill handling. So I just started out at a decent pace, and everyhting felt natural and smooth. From turn in to throttle application, to getting the power down. Zero funkiness. The bike was extremely fast on the front straight, and scrubbed the speed just as easily. The rear end didn't try to pass the front or anything. Just a gentle wag on the third downshift, but totally controlled feeling.

I liked riding the bike, and I loved looking at the thing. Very unique and cool bike. I have read some criticism of it, but it seems unfounded to me. Is it as good as the established superbikes? Only race results will tell that tale.

Huge thanks to Jerry from valley motorsports for making this thing available at our days. Very cool of him!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 06-30-10 at 08:42 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Re: RC8R tested

My .02: I rode the street version at Loudon and it had a horrible amount of throttle abruptness. The R was much better sorted in this regard, so that I was able to get a good test of how the whole package worked. I would concur with what Paul said about the bike, but will add one thing: the suspension felt loose once I got it wicked up. I suspect it was because of Jerry's settings and the fact that he raised both front and rear to help to not drag the sidestand. For whatever reason, it wasn't to my liking.

Otherwise it was powerful and it fit me well. Thanks Jerry! Valley Motorsports, Northampton, MA

Jerry told me he had firmed it up a bit before I rode it. I never got it to wallow. I'm pretty light though...

Paul_E_D

How does the RC8R compare to the S1000RR??

Can't wait to get my hands on the KTM's at Mid-Ohio in a few weeks....

I rode both bikes and the BMW is a more familiar package with a refined inline 4 motor and conventional supersport ergonomics.

To me the KTM felt different with a narrow profile and a seat that is carved "into" the tall tail section. The RC8 felt sort of like a cross between a motard and a liter bike.

The BMW has SICK power whereas the KTM was less dramatic. Both powerbands were tractable.

I haven't ridden the s1000rr yet. I should have tried Joe's though. I followed a bunch of em, including Nate Kern's factory bike. Acceleration on those is cruise missile like! It also has lean angle sensitive traction control, where as the KTM has none. I don't think they are really in the same category...

Paul_E_D

Thanks for sharing your insights/feedback Paul & Ken.

Boston --> San Diego