Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rearset Adjustment

2WT

Rearset Adjustment

Ok guys I have been riding my bike long enough now to think that my position is off. When I ride and I grip with my knees they are generally around the frame area which tends to get hot. I know your knees are supposed to be on the lower part of the tank so do I need to raise my rear sets to make it so my knees are on the tank? Do I just need to grow, am I just sitting improperly on the bike?

I was thinking about getting tank grips but then thought how much would they help if my knees were holding onto the frame.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Rearset Adjustment

ok, Im short 5'6" and have the same issue. Historically I have always gone up on my toes when I ride aggressively. I do now have adjustable rearsets on my bike which is a first and it helps a little but I still like to go up on my toes when it gets aggresive, mostly habit now. On my RC51 I had the heat issue and actually mounted black mousepads to the frame with 3M mounting tape to save my inner thighs from the blistering frame heat (they actually looked ok once they were cut to shape on the frame).

I'll give you my experience with adjustable rearsets. I'm 5'10" 145 on a 2003 zx6r and was having trouble with body position on track especially in turn 9. I wore the paint of the right side of the frame and decided to experiment with my rearsets. Moving them forward and down totally helped and I really felt more "hooked on" the bike did already have stomp grip on the tank but I was only able to utilize it when I adjusted the pegs. I say move them forward and if you don't like it move them back.

Last edited by G21forme; 06-20-12 at 04:26 PM.

2WT

well my rear sets are not adjustable as they are stock, asking this was more of a should I buy a set that would adjust if it would solve my problem.

Hard to say, rearsets are made to be higher and further back but I may be mistaken though I was under the impression you might be able to adjust them to stock position with the ability to adjust them back and up, I can tell you mine can't be adjusted to stock only further back and higher.

Last edited by G21forme; 06-20-12 at 04:48 PM.

i believe vortex rearsets have the most adjustibility as far as going further back & up? just measure your stock rear sets position from the peg to the ground now and when/ if u replace with an aftermarket and dont like the position u can always put it back to stock position.

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    i believe vortex rearsets have the most adjustibility as far as going further back & up? just measure your stock rear sets position from the peg to the ground now and when/ if u replace with an aftermarket and dont like the position u can always put it back to stock position.
    That is incorrect as it's typically a bike to bike between the adjustability between manufacturers. I think the op it trying to move the pegs forward.

2WT

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    That is incorrect as it's typically a bike to bike between the adjustability between manufacturers. I think the op it trying to move the pegs forward.
    I am not entirely sure they need to go forward or backward, however I think going up might help keep my knee on the tank and not the frame. Guess I will have to look at aftermarket rear sets.

Thanks for the information.

Do you ride on your toes? If so I would say your pegs need to go up and forward or maybe just one our the other just from having the same problem you have described but ymmv.

2WT

yea if i go up on my toes my knees are against the tank, as I go up I probably do go forward a bit too.

get some riding pants with knee armor. heat issue solved.

I thought the new gsxrs had adjustable rear sets stock?

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    yea if i go up on my toes my knees are against the tank, as I go up I probably do go forward a bit too.
    Well there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    I thought the new gsxrs had adjustable rear sets stock?
    If my memory serves me right my 06 gsxr had 3 holes for the base of the rear set. Not much adjustment but more then my kawi now that's for sure

This is what you need........i have to fix my left side and could pull mine off and see if they bolt up to yours

http://proluxracing.com