Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

rearsets and bent frames

rearsets and bent frames

just got a ducati 1198sp and can't wait for spring!

i'm looking at rearsets and have gotten some conflicting advice. one school of thought seems to be that rigid, meaty pegs - like on a woodcraft, protect the bike acting like frame sliders.

another school of thought suggests that rigid, meaty pegs can actually bend the frame in a simple low side.

so... which is it?

and... marry xmas to all!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: rearsets and bent frames

Both...

Paul_E_D

Woodcraft rearsets will work fine. The brackets will bend bend way before the frame will bend. Not so sure on the frame slider application though. I would recommend that you buy some sliders while buying the rearsets.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I've heard plenty of stories of rigid rearsets bending the flimsy rearset tabs. Your insurance company will consider those part of the frame and a bent frame is a total loss. IMO, rigid pegs have no place on a street bike for various minor reasons that all add up. Track bike - yes.

And no frame sliders on a Ducati. Plenty of cracked cases out there.

the problem with the 1198 (or1098/848) is the rear set mounts on the frame are very weak. so a tip over at a couple mph and they wanna bend or break. I've heard of people boxing them in but haven't seen them first hand to know exactly what they mean.

I will say when I slammed my bike and myself into the ground in September and broke my collarbone, the only damage to the rear sets were the mounts on the rear set for the rear brake master cylinder bent. I kicked it back in and its good. Woodcraft stuff can take a huge beating.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE
    the problem with the 1198 (or1098/848) is the rear set mounts on the frame are very weak. so a tip over at a couple mph and they wanna bend or break. I've heard of people boxing them in but haven't seen them first hand to know exactly what they mean.

I will say when I slammed my bike and myself into the ground in September and broke my collarbone, the only damage to the rear sets were the mounts on the rear set for the rear brake master cylinder bent. I kicked it back in and its good. Woodcraft stuff can take a huge beating.
    Always bringing up that broken collarbone. Poor Brett. Sounds like you need a vacation to southern California.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    Woodcraft stuff can take a huge beating.
    Not mine. Two lowsides and two completely destroyed rearsets on my 2nd Gen SV. They are always available around here though so they are the right choice for track duty. Otherwise...

Woodcraft rearsets and drill a hole through the peg so it will break and have a lesser chance of damaging the frame.

If/when you can, have the brackets boxed in as mentioned. You'll have to remove the frame/motor to do it.

Someone else already said the frame slider will crack the cases. I have a axljak water pump cover and it works great. There are spacers that crush which help absorb some of the energy. Woodcraft clutch cover on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Always bringing up that broken collarbone. Poor Brett. Sounds like you need a vacation to southern California.

I was just trying to say it was a pretty damn hard hit. I should be in San Diego the end of July

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    Not mine. Two lowsides and two completely destroyed rearsets on my 2nd Gen SV. They are always available around here though so they are the right choice for track duty. Otherwise...
    hmm you must just have bad luck. If I remember correctly mine had been down before I bought the bike and I put it on the ground twice this year. The Satos on my old bike bent from a highside and I have a set for my racebike that came with it that are also bent. they look better than Woodcraft but are nowhere near as sturdy.

but really every crash is different and things can always go wacky no matter what you have on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I was just trying to say it was a pretty damn hard hit. I should be in San Diego the end of July

Keep us posted....