Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

progress...

progress...

well, over the past 2 nights I managed to pull and replace the clutch, as well as upgrade the radiator fan, clean all the crap out of the radiator fins, and drain/flush/refill the cooling system. I took the bike out for a quick test ride today, and it runs like a champ

Now I'm waiting on new spark plug wires, galfer SS front brake lines and front pads (all of that is in the mail).

I'm also thinking about replacing the exhaust system, 'cause it's starting to rattle and disintegrate. I saw dennis kirk has kerker k45 setups for REALLY cheap, so I'm thinking about going that route. I know kerker isn't the absolute best out there, but it's within my limited budget, and it's gotta be better than my falling apart stocker.

I was also thinking about replacing the cam chain tensioner with a manual one (I hear the automatic one on my bike is prone to sucking, and the bike DOES make a pretty noticeable cam chain noise)

Any of you guys know how hard it is to replace the tensioner? I haven't really looked into it much yet, so I mean, is it like a split-the-cases style internal job, or just clear some space and bolt/unbolt some stuff?

Also, any opinons on the kerker? I suppose I could get a supertrapp for about the same price...

Well, I guess that's all for now... I'm thinkning hard about a large chunk of my pending tax return to get the suspension back up to snuff... I have no real desire to increase the horsepower of my bike (all the stuff did/am doing is more geared to getting the bike back into tip-top condition for general riding).

It's kinda like my car. My car wil never be very fast, but it CAN be made to handle like you wouldn't believe possible (and it does, and will continue to improve. THe bike is kinda the same/opposite, IE, I have NO desire to make it FASTER (it's PLENTY fast for my riding level right now), but I would like it to handle with scalpel-like precision (or as close to that as I can afford)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

RSVMILLE661

progress...

Matt sounds good man. So when are you gonna break down and saftey wire it and go racing?

RSVMILLE661

progress...

Oh and Kerker and Supertrapp are the same company so go with a Hindle or D&D if you are looking for low cost ok sound. If not go with a Yosh or a Leovinci

progress...

heh, it's like fate wants me to take the bike to the track, somebody who owned it in the past must have spent some time on the track, 'cause it's all drilled, I'd just need to wire it up. I dont' really know what needs to be wired though, is there somewhere I could go to find out? Or shit, maybe one of you racer-type guys could help me do it while the bike's all apart... Maybe sunday? The bike will probably be apart in the garage at least till next weekend (the long one) so maybe then would work for one of you?

Either way...

also, I got the front lines all off, and the calipers as well. at first glance, they look ok, so I don't think I'm gonna rebuild them, just put in the new lines and pads, when they get here. And on goes the search for a decent budget pipe...

Any suggestions on other stuff I should do while I have the time and the inclination?

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

RSVMILLE661

progress...

I have to work the Bike show at the rockingham mall in Salem NH this weekend with Seacoast Sport Cycle Aprilia. But next weekend should be ok if you wanna try to wire some of it up. Acton Mass is right over the border no?

progress...

Acton Mass is right over the border no?
    uh, not really... it's down about as far south as boston, at the corner of rt. 495 and 2. if your still willing I'll try to make sure I have the requisite free time. When is/would be best for you?

Also, no hard feelings or anything if you don't want to drive all the way down here.

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

progress...

I was also thinking about replacing the cam chain tensioner with a manual one (I hear the automatic one on my bike is prone to sucking, and the bike DOES make a pretty noticeable cam chain noise)
    Your bike has the cam chain mounted between cylinders 2 and 3. It should be in the center of the block just below the carbs. It's held in place with two bolts and has a gasket beytween it and the block. I believe it is a ratchet type adjuster so you could either pull the end bolt out and give the center plunger a light push to advance it one tooth, or replace the spring which should be seperately orderable. If it's not a ratchet type adjuster, it has a jack screw. With a jack screw adjuster you can add a turn or two of preload to the spring to offset weakness caused by age, heat and fatigue. One bit of advice: If you remove the adjuster, you must ensure it is reset all the way back out before putting it back in. Otherwise you may do some expensive damage to your bike.

progress...

ah, I'll take a look at that tonight, I think. Thanks :nrgreen:

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

progress...

oh, I ordered a kerker k45 today, SS headers and aluminum can (which is all I was really looking for, something that will last for a while) for the whopping sum of like $145ish shipped from DK.

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

RSVMILLE661

progress...

Matt I have to go pick up my Mille' at GMD computrack in Bellingham and have to go right past were you are so perhaps I could help out then. Lemme get the exact schedule squared away and I'll let ya know.

progress...

Cool

Here's a pic of my baby in her current state of dissasembly:

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

progress...

How'd ya like all the crap on top of the motor when you pulled the tank off? What a mess, or, at least mine was.
    Ahhh, the old perimeter frame Gixxers, a sportbike icon
    Cheers, Lee S.

I know i'm slow, you don't have to rub it in.
    Why, Yes! I do think you're a Wanker!

progress...

well, mine's been apart a number of times, so it's pretty clean in there, but it's still a bit of a pain to get at everything, there';s so much stacked on top of the engine between the frame rails in there... but I can hradly complain, working on these things is an absolute dream compared to working on modern cars, and besides, it never sees much rain, let alone salty roads and snow, so I don't have nearly nteh nightmares that getting big rusted bolts of the car always gives me

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

progress...

oh, scott, I'm gonna be out of town this weekend. Maybe once the season gets going I'll do the wires. Thanks for the offer though

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

RSVMILLE661

progress...

No problem Matt. Lemme know when and we'll be there to help provided we are not racing. You said that she is drilled already so it shouldn't take long at all.

progress...

well, the bike's starting to come back together, the clutch is in, new plugs and wires, new exhaust is boletd up (had a bit of trouble getting the #2 header clamp to fit right, but hte dremel solved that), new radiator fan is on, and the cooling system is refilled, and the brake lines are on. All that's left is the pads (waiting for some penetrating oil to release the pin that the pads hang off of) and bleed the brake system. (not to mention putting all the plastic and stuff back on). Things are going quite well, and I'm really pleased, so far. I got the bike up to operating temp and revved it up just to hear the new exhaust, and it sounds pretty sweet, not to mention that it no longer rattles at idle and part throttle, which is nice. I can't wait for the weather to come around so I can take it out and put everything through it's paces...

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

progress...

Sport rider had some info about wiring.. dunno if it'd help out any..

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0002_hand/

-Feirax

progress...

Got the bike more or less back together last night (minus plastics) and took it out for a test ride. Man, it rides like a f'ing dream Revs up smoothly thru the RPMs, really starts to blast above 7-8k... The clutch grips beautifully, and the brakes are MUCH easier to modulate smoothly. I'm not even gonna mention the exhaust note... well, ok, maybe I will it sounds SOOOO much better than it used to, no more rattling crap at idle, and it really roars thru 7K and absolutely screams above that. All in all I'm very pleased with how it all went, now I just gotta ride it around for a while to make sure everything stays together

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80