Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rebuilt bikes in MASS

Rebuilt bikes in MASS

Hey , I was just wondering what rebuilt bikes in MASS have to go through to get the rebuilt title ? Is it hard or really easy to pass ? Because I'm thinking of buying a rebuilt bike that this dude has ridden for 1 year (98 Katana 600). He says hes getting married so he needs the money that is why his selling it , So I dunno anyone know if i should tag the bike and buy it or just foreget about it because its rebuilt ? He says it was in a front collision and he replaced the forks and fairing and stuff. Dunno what do you guys think , and what should I look for when I go see the bike ? Also you just register a rebuilt bike like any other bike right ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Gangsta SV; 02-27-03 at 11:42 PM.

Rebuilt bikes in MASS

There are a pile of clean, straight Katana's out there that won't be a headache in waiting. I would walk on this one. The salvage title will follow this bike forever.

You have to make an appt. and get the bike inspected by the State Police. After learning how the bike was damaged, the cop will want reciepts for all the new parts. If the parts are used, he may want VIN numbers of the donor bikes.

A lot depends on the cop. An old roommate of mine did this for a little while but gave it up. Too much grief, and there are plenty of straight title bikes out there.

Sean Bradley is selling a clean 600 Kat for $1200.00. A screaming deal. I would start right here.

Good luck!

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Rebuilt bikes in MASS

Sorry dave the kat has a new home already............

the 2000 zx7r is still for sale $5000 takes it.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Rebuilt bikes in MASS

forget about it. If you didn't live in MA, then maybe, but I thought about doing the same thing, and after a little bit of research I found out it was going to be an ENORMOUS pain in the ass. Mass is EXTREMELY hard to do that sort of thing in. Just for example, I bought a bike in conn. with no title and no proof of prior registration (long story) but basically, in order to get a MA title, I had to sell it to my cousins in NH (and get the VIN "verified" there), get them to register it, buy it back, and go to the RMV with the cancelled registration. What a hassle that was. You would think they could have just ran the VIN here and been done with it, but the staties said go to the local cops, the locals said go to the RMV and the RMV said "we can't do that". So imagine what it's gonna be like trying to prove that all the necessary repairs were done.... I say forget it.

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

I Dance With Will

Question i also have ???

if the title is clean and registered in RI, will I have problem registering in MA?

"fuckit!"

Rebuilt bikes in MASS

Hmmm , I found a 98 Katana 750 for about the same price of the salvage 98 600 . . . Anyone know if the Katana 750 is any good ? I can't find any reviews of it online ,its like noone likes this bike or something ?

Kham I think you should have no problem registering it .

Rebuilt bikes in MASS

Both the Katana 600 and 750 is a good bike. Any years. Very reliable, parts are plentiful and cheap.

Valve adjustmenst can be a pain, but otherwise a good machine.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Rebuilt bikes in MASS

I dunno about the more recent models, but older (like up to 95 or so) katanas are really just de-tuned, softer suspended, more upright riding gixxers. The clymer manual I have for my 93 gixxer also covers several years of katana, and there are only like 10 pages that are different in the whole thing. So basically, yeah, katanas are great bikes if you want a more practical, comfortable version of the gixxer. I personally think they're kinda ugly though

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80