Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rebuilt Motorcycle Titles Question**n00b**

Hey whats up I’m new to the board, but I’ve lurked for a while.

I had a question about “rebuilt/reconstructed” titles for bikes. If the person selling has the rebuilt title what else is needed to register the bike?

Thanks,

-Rory

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I Dance With Will

is it an RSV?

"fuckit!"

no, its a 99 r6.

Does it have a polished frame?

Bikeless

Everybody to the limit!

Re: Rebuilt Motorcycle Titles Question**n00b**

Originally posted by Rory McConoghy
    If the person selling has the rebuilt title what else is needed to register the bike?
    A check

Originally posted by Sidewinder
    Does it have a polished frame?
    craigslist. probably gonna check it out this weekend.

http://boston.craigslist.org/mcy/102174150.html

Rebuilt title means it was deemed a "Total Loss" by an insurance company in the past from an accident or vandalism.
    The bike can be registerted, but some insurance companies may not offer you comprehensive or collission coverage.
    Some insurance companies will offer you the coverage, but they will value the bike for less because of its history of being totalled once already.
    You should have no problems registering it though.

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

Originally posted by Nazo
    Rebuilt title means it was deemed a "Total Loss" by an insurance company in the past from an accident or vandalism.
    The bike can be registerted, but some insurance companies may not offer you comprehensive or collission coverage.
    Some insurance companies will offer you the coverage, but they will value the bike for less because of its history of being totalled once already.
    thanks, See I didn’t know if I needed to have an inspection sticker and all that jazz with it.

This would be my first bike and I really don’t want to have to drop even more money just to get it road worthy before the winter.

Originally posted by Nazo

No.

A "Reconstructed" title in MA means that you have brought the bike back to the point that it is insurable for collission, by Commonwealth statute.

With a reconstructed title, the ins. co. have to insure you for collision. They must!

The inspection process by the State LEO is relatively succinct in that they require the bike to be insurable for collision in order to pass the inspection, even if you have no intention to insure for collision.

BMW R1200GS

Originally posted by babo
    No.

A "Reconstructed" title in MA means that you have brought the bike back to the point that it is insurable for collission, by Commonwealth statute.

With a reconstructed title, the ins. co. have to insure you for collision. They must!

The inspection process by the State LEO is relatively succinct in that they require the bike to be insurable for collision in order to pass the inspection, even if you have no intention to insure for collision.
    +1

I've taken a previous bike from a clean title to salvage title and then to reconstructed title. I have full coverage on it with the reconstructed title. I sold it to a friend and he also had full coverage on it for the book value of the bike. Sad to say he dumped and totaled the bike again. This time is was not worth fixing.

G/L
    V

Originally posted by babo
    No.

+1

I've taken a previous bike from a clean title to salvage title and then to reconstructed title. I had full coverage on it with the reconstructed title. I sold it to a friend and he also had full coverage on it for the book value of the bike. Sad to say he dumped and totaled the bike again. This time is was not worth fixing.

G/L
    V

Originally posted by vaa
    +1

I've taken a previous bike from a clean title to salvage title and then to reconstructed title. I had full coverage on it with the reconstructed title. I sold it to a friend and he also had full coverage on it for the book value of the bike. Sad to say he dumped and totaled the bike again. This time is was not worth fixing.

G/L
    V
    When you went to have it insured did you have to have all your receipts for all of the parts? Also to be insured do the fairings have to be flawless or can they still be scuffed? Ive tried calling the RMV but I was put on hold for a long time and I couldn’t just sit on hold at work, well i oculd, but thats a whole other store.

Thanks again.

There are two types of titles in this regard:

1. Salvage
    2. Reconstructed or Recoverd Theft

It it has a Salvage title, then it needs to be inspected by the RMV/State Police before they will issue a Rebuilt title and alow you to register and insure it. This process involves showing them all your reciepts to prove the parts you used are yours and legit.

If it has a Reconstructed title, then somebody has already gone through the above process and you don't need to do anything else. You can register and insure it like any other vehicle. The title just has a big Rebuilt spamped on it in red to alert owners and potential buyers that there is a history to the vehicle.

In MA ONLY dealers can sell Salvage vehicles. A private party must either apply for a new title before selling it or go through the reconsruction process first.

here is the RMV form for inspections with good info on it. The RMV site has tons of other details as well....

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/20541.pdf

dave w

Rory - If the bike already has a Reconstructed Title, you would register and insure it the same way as a "clean" titled bike. You don’t need any of the receipts for the insurance company. The heavy lifting has already been done.

Unless the bike is brand new, the insurance Co. will require a pre- inspection (the same for cars) which entails a very quick inspection of the bike, and a couple of photos.

You have something like one week after you get insurance to do this inspection.

This is the same process whether the bike has a Reconstructed title or a clean title.

If the bike is rashed, the insured value of the bike will be less, i.e. if a fairing shows visible scars, the inspector will note that during the inspection, and maybe take a photo of the damage.

Should you put a claim in, the insurance co. will pull that inspection to see if there was any pre-existing damage.

BMW R1200GS

thanks again to everyone for all their help i really appreciate it!