Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Recommended maintenance?

Recommended maintenance?

Back story - Have a 2000 GSXR 600 that has been sitting in my fathers garage for about 1 year more or less unridden. It has been started sporadically but I just recently attempted to and the battery is dead.

I am taking it to a shop to have it checked out and put back in good shape and want to know what you guys recommend for this.

Definitely needs new tires and obviously a battery charge but what else should I have them check out and possibly do? Last time I ran the bike it was running great but its been a bit now and I want to get it in great running shape again for the little bit of fall left and then before it goes back into the garage for winter.

I wish I knew about all of the mechanical fixes and whatnot but I know nada. Help is needed and appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Re: Recommended maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    Back story - Have a 2000 GSXR 600 that has been sitting in my fathers garage for about 1 year more or less unridden. It has been started sporadically but I just recently attempted to and the battery is dead.

I am taking it to a shop to have it checked out and put back in good shape and want to know what you guys recommend for this.

Definitely needs new tires and obviously a battery charge but what else should I have them check out and possibly do? Last time I ran the bike it was running great but its been a bit now and I want to get it in great running shape again for the little bit of fall left and then before it goes back into the garage for winter.

I wish I knew about all of the mechanical fixes and whatnot but I know nada. Help is needed and appreciated.
    I wouldn't worry about the rings or any other internal motor stuff, a year isn't a super long time for it to sit.

I would get the battery charged/get a new battery and try to start it. If the battery froze with no charge then it is done forever. Don't rev it like crazy if it does start, just let it idle for a bit and then change the oil. If it doesn't start, begin with fresh gas (if the fuel tank is pretty empty, get some new gas in there anyway before you try it and that will dilute the old shitty gas).

You might need a carb clean out (if it isn't injected). Get uit started before you take it to the dealers or they will charge you up the ass for all kinds of shit to get it going, then rape you for tires.

Here's an idea, get the bike to NJMP on Monday and we can mount some new Pirellis for you AND get it running.

Its not injected and I think a carb clean is going to be needed. I know that might cost me a penny which sucks but what can you do. The battery isnt completely dead, it still turns the headlight on minimally just nothing close to actually turning on the bike. The gas tank is full and has been. I am debating whether to get the bike in the back of my truck to take it to the shop or go get a battery tender and try to start it.

Whats the deal with jumping it or push starting if I wanted to go that route? I know I obviously can't jump it from my truck but what are my options here?

I would love to bring it down to NJMP on monday and meet you guys and get some help but this whole "work" thing and NJMP being over 2 hours is prohibiting me right now.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

If you can hold off on the carb stuff, give TLRMan (Mark) a shout. He's straightened out more member's fuel systems on here than Denno has crashed at the track. (and that's a lot)

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

or you could sell that piece of junk to me for cheap change & see how nice it looks after I fix it up

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft