Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

recommended service

Question recommended service

For the newbs' second thread. I ask:
    Where do people get there bike serviced? Dealers, local shops... anyone know of good ones?

Now I know almost everyone here does work themselves, and I plan on as well. Especially with oil, plugs...blah blah. BUT. My 00 SV has 9K and I have no idea if any service has been done on it besides maybe and oil change. So I think it needs a good once over.. oil, plugs, carb sync, carb cleaning, fliuds, cables, etc. All which might be out my hands right now, and I dont want to have it sit for weeks because the weather is too nice.

It runs well, but just thinking ahead, and paraniod. Anyone?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

recommended service

buy a factory manual and check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

recommended service

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    buy a factory manual and check it out?
    got one! A Clymer and the owners manual. but like I like I said I can definitely see myself having it apart for like a week or so, even with McBiggies help. The carbs looking intimidating but I am sure I could handle it, but that takes time. Super busy this summer too, and I would like to be able to ride it, instead of looking at it in the garage and having no time to work on it.

recommended service

no i mean the factory manul..the one the suzuki tech's use...it steps through all the factory maint. schedule and what they do...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

recommended service

ya the Clymer pretty much walks you through everything that they do and then some, and references all the service intervals and what needs to be done and when. But i think for this first service, IF i can, gonna try to be, hate to say it, lazy about it. Just kinda want to get it done and back on the road.

Unless a couple local guys who like beer as much as I do , feel like shooting down to Dudley and drinking a few wobbley pops and workin on a bike for a while . I'm sure Biggles will show up too, to supervise

recommended service

I'd use Clymer as a second opinion.
    Nothing replaces the Factory Service Manual.

Yes take it in for service. I hate to say it but just know that far too
    frequently the person working on your bike has as much experience
    as you or me !
    What's called for in the 9K service anyway?

recommended service

What no one mentioned Blinker Fluid

The sun doesn't shine in Dudley?

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Like Rawlins and Spalding

recommended service

I would definitely bring it to service...you might be able to follow the whole service schedule and get it all done right, but only someone who spends 5 days a week in a bike engine is going to be able to spot other issues that might crop up. That doesn't mean they will catch anything, but give it at least one professional service before you start working the stuff yourself.

recommended service

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    What no one mentioned Blinker Fluid

The sun doesn't shine in Dudley?
    first thing i did was top of the blinker fluid

so now that we kind of established to bring it in for the first one... anyone know a decent place to go... tryin to search but came up with nothing

recommended service

9k miles.....Change the oil and go. How is it running? To me that sounds like it shouldnt need anything for another 6k miles. Its a Jap bike not a Harley. Wait till winter and then do some maintenance.

Bruce

It never got fast enough rebelpacket's Avatar

recommended service

I disagree. Depending on what manual you get, often times aftermarket manuals are leaps and bounds better than the original service manual. Haynes manuals simply can't be beaten in my opinon.

They should call Production Twins what it really is, Shitty McBikefest. Rules for Participation: If your bike runs lower laptimes than a lawnmower, you are not eligibile for Shitty McBikefest. -Darrell

Alex Pearsall #121 ESMRA / #512 LRRS

recommended service

Quote Originally Posted by keifa9 View Post
    Where do people get there bike serviced? Dealers, local shops... anyone know of good ones?

Now I know almost everyone here does work themselves, and I plan on as well. Especially with oil, plugs...blah blah. BUT. My 00 SV has 9K and I have no idea if any service has been done on it besides maybe and oil change. So I think it needs a good once over.. oil, plugs, carb sync, carb cleaning, fliuds, cables, etc. All which might be out my hands right now, and I dont want to have it sit for weeks because the weather is too nice.

bleed the brakes, change the oil, change the plugs.
    run it. 45 minutes of work.
    It ran fine when I rode it, the only thing you need is a set of straight handlebars.

recommended service

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    bleed the brakes, change the oil, change the plugs.
    run it. 45 minutes of work.
    It ran fine when I rode it, the only thing you need is a set of straight handlebars.
    If your going to bleed the brakes you might as well change the brake fluid while your messing around. BTW, most shops are going to hve it for a week right now too, so do it yourself

recommended service

If you don't have to ride with the choke on, carb work has already been done. I'd wait on the spark plugs till next year and flush the coolant at the same time as it's easier to get to the front plug when you drop the radiator.

recommended service

I have a Vaccum brake bleeder if you want to come out to Whitinsville to borrow it.

Bruce

recommended service

Where do you pick up the aftermarket manuals?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

recommended service

if you are going to "eventually" do work on your own bike then the best way to get to know it is to work on it ragardless of time. if you think its gonna take a week then do it a little at a time. change the cables (an hour) and put it back together. change the oil (15min) put it back together.change plugs (1 hr) put it back together. just buy everything and then when its wet out go out and work on it for a little while but dont start something big you cant finish in one day or 2 if youve got the time. small steps. if its running good now then i wouldnt worry about it. i did valve clearances 2 seasons ago and who knows haow many miles are my bike . things that you cant (carb sync) either take to a dealer or (most likely) someone on here will help you out.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

recommended service

sweet. Me and doctor Bigs will probably just get after a few things such as oil, plugs, brakes (bleeder would be nice too thanks Bruce), and I should prob clean and lube the chain.
    Hell if its running good I prob should just take that as a good sign and leave well enough alone til the winter when I can really have at it.... and yes Mike, straight bars will be ordered...

So no one brings their bikes to anyone huh? It seems as though there is a lack of quality places that people trust around MA..or are people just missing this other question?

recommended service

I used to trust Chips in Northbridge. It was a little pricey but he did good work. But after a couple of slow winters he went out of buisness. I guess the snowmobiles wernt keeping him busy enough. I think his high labor hurt him too. I brought tires there off the bike before and he wanted 40 a piece. They were mad I didnt buy from them.

Bruce

recommended service

I would trust peter kates to work on my bike. thats if you really wanted to have some one else do it.

if you want to do it yourself i am not a mechanic by trade but i do it for fun. you can search "my winter project" and see what i did over the winter to my bike.and have been a mechanic by nissesity for years

im in woosta and could help you with brake fluid change (i got i mighty vac) oil change cable lube (i have the adapter that helps shoot it down the cable) and spark plugs. i could even help set your sag. i know how to sinc the carbs but i don't have the tool.

and o yeah i like beer

let me know

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

recommended service

Quote Originally Posted by keifa9 View Post

are you related to firefy??

hmmmm......

recommended service

9000 miles on '00? Change the oil & filter and ride the piss outta it. Take care of the other shit over the winter. It'll give you some 'bike time' when normally you wouldn't have any. You can take your time with it then and spend a little extra time 'getting to know' it while your in there...

Shouldn't really need anything else other than brake fluid change. But that's a quick one too...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

recommended service

I have a problem too..I noticed the camshafts that went back into the engine, didn't have the compression release thingies on them, now it cranks funny, and idles rougher than before. I did notice it wants to spin the rear wheel, and wheelie the same time when I clutchless shift it into 3rd gear.....It also makes a louder noise.... This isn't what my bike used to do....I also got some more wiring sticking out of things that didn't have it before, and my coils make wicked big sparks! I think I need it looked at.....

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

High maintenance priss

recommended service

Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan View Post
    I have a problem too..I noticed the camshafts that went back into the engine, didn't have the compression release thingies on them, now it cranks funny, and idles rougher than before. I did notice it wants to spin the rear wheel, and wheelie the same time when I clutchless shift it into 3rd gear.....It also makes a louder noise.... This isn't what my bike used to do....I also got some more wiring sticking out of things that didn't have it before, and my coils make wicked big sparks! I think I need it looked at.....
    I don't remember working on your bike...