Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

My Recount of Yesterday (LONG)

My Recount of Yesterday (LONG)

I had my physical license less than two days before my first crash yesterday.

I was with Pete. I just wanted to practice on a Saturday morning where there were fewer cars on the road. Things were going well and I was feeling more comfortable than my first street ride this past Tuesday.

We went down a road in Boxford and it had a few turns, all of which went smoothly. Then we decided to turn around and come back the way we came to try going the opposite direction. Everything was fine, and Pete said "there's a stop sign coming up ahead", and then proceeded to coach me through the turn we were entering. I was going maybe 20 mph entering the turn (curve in the road, really). As I'm leaned over going through the turn, I see the stop sign literally right at the end of the turn. I'm coming up on it way too fast, I won't have enough time to stop once I finish turning. I panic, and grab the front brake. The bike goes down to my right and before I even know what has happened I'm rolling across the pavement.

I manage to roll over to the side of the road, which is where my bike slides anyhow, and I'm screaming for Pete to call 911. I know I'm going to be okay, but I just saw my knee bone where the skin has torn completely across. The pain is unbearable and I keep pleading with Pete to call 911, and to call my mom. A mailman comes up shortly after I've gone down, and Pete asks him to call 911. Pete calls my mom and tells her I "took a spill" and that I'm ok, but she can hear me screaming in the background.

Finally adrenaline kicks in and the pain in my knee subsides. The ambulance comes, they finally take me to the hospital, and give me 4-5 rounds of morphine while I'm there. Jamie stops in and brings coffee and soda for Pete and my mom (so nice of him, thank you again!). Alex comes to the hospital with my purse (and health insurance card). He also went to Boxford to pick up mine and Pete's bikes and assures me the ninja isn't in bad shape.

I have a cat scan of my stomach, where I have minor road rash, and an xray of my knee. Nothing is broken or fractured. The doctor is concerned, though, that the gash on my knee may have run into the joint. An orthopedist comes in and they poke and prod at it (painful), but the orthopedist concludes that my joint is fine, so the massive gash can just be washed out and stitched up. I also attracted the interest of many other professional staff at the hospital, because my gash was so "impressive." They denied my request to charge a cover fee, unfortunately. Pete also has several pictures of it for those weird people with ridiculously strong stomachs who think its "awesome."

Pete holds my hand throughout the entire washing/stitching procedure, which isn't too painful after multiple rounds of lidocaine injections. They get me some crutches, a Vicodin prescription, and send me home.

Pete ends up taking the entire night off from work. Comes over bringing pizza for my mom, step father, himself, and me. He goes upstairs to get stuff from my room, brings food/water to me, and helps me move around when needed. Finally it's time for bed and he helps me up the stairs and makes sure both my Vicodin and antibiotics as well as a full glass of water are right beside my bed. He also throws in a package of crackers, apparently incase I get hungry for a midnight snack? Lol. Pete was great, the entire day and night. I'm lucky to have had him there with me.

I apologized profusely to my mother, because I know she wasn't wild on the bike idea for this reason. She tells me it's okay, to heal up, and "get back on the horse." I was shocked to hear her say that.

I'm very weary of it, though, to be honest. That was scary as hell and I've slept maybe three hours tonight because the Vicodin isn't keeping the pain out for more than 2 hours at a time. I can't imagine what my knee is going to look like after the stitches are out, and I'm bummed because I have (had?) pretty nice legs.

Upon hearing the news many NESR'ians have offered to help in whatever ways they can, including free replacement parts for the bike. I know everyone on here is great and always willing to lend a hand, but I'm still in awe at the kindness I was shown yesterday. Lots of people have already encouraged me not to let this incident spook me, and that now that I've gotten this out of the way I should be good. I'm not making any promises, but we'll see how I'm feeling once my knee heals. Regardless, I'm still going to make frequent appearances at the track, bike nights, TTT's, etc. Thank you to everyone I know on here for being a great friend to me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Legally Jackie; 04-15-13 at 03:44 PM.

Re: My Recount of Yesterday (LONG)

So... You didn't have a baby.

This is A: not as fun as a baby.
    B: just something that happens to people that ride motorbikes.

You got your first one out the way pretty quickly. I DO hope you end up back on that horse, and continue to learn the right way to do things from that seat. Heal quick, stroke that goatee, and enjoy the Vic's.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

It's not the time, but there are a couple of lines in that write up that are pure gold.

Glad to hear you will live through this. Also glad it hasn't put you off. Heal up quickly.

..and Pete, I bet you feel terrible also man. Chin up, move on. We are here for you guys if you need anything.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Degsy; 04-14-13 at 06:30 AM.

Glad to hear you are alright.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

Once you heal up get back on the bike. Dont let one incident scare you off. If I did that I would have quit long ago. While you are healing up take some time to look around for some gear so if it happens again its just bike repair instead of body repair

James

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    So... You didn't have a baby.

This is A: not as fun as a baby.
    Lol NO, I did not have a baby. A woman actually came into the ER screaming because she was in labor and I thought "ok, at least I'm not going through THAT." Also the doctor sewing me up told me he hadn't seen a gash as "impressive" as mine since his residency, and that the weirdest thing he's ever stitched up was a penis. I can't speak with personal knowledge here, but I'd say that slicing your knee open is preferable to that guy's situation. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

It's not the time, but there are a couple of lines in that write up that are pure gold.
    Haha it's ok, Degsy. We haven't met yet (though I've heard a lot about you (nothing bad)), but I have a sense of humor, I promise.

Welcome to the club...you are no longer the first kind of rider.

I hope you keep riding if you have a fire in the belly to ride. (That's the only good reason to get on a motorcycle...!)

Heal up kiddo!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Wow! Heal well, heal soon, and stay out of Boxford. ;-).

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Sorry to hear about your situation . Glad you're ok.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your crash, but thanks for the write-up. Glad you are OK. I don't know you but I have enjoyed reading about your progress over the last few weeks.

Please buy some riding pants, you now know just how useless jeans (I assume that's what you were wearing) are when sliding... A $100 pair of riding pants would have likely turned that accident into a minor low-side without any need for doctor's care.

Glad to hear you're ok and that Pete is doing a good job at taking care of you.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

So sorry to hear you went down. But very happy that's the worst of your injuries. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Glad your going to be okay. First is always scary. Now that you have the first under your belt, I am sure that you will only get become a better rider. I am glad you have Pete by your side to help you through it.

Vicki

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Really sucks you went down but def glad that you are 'alright' now you know what happens when you grab a fistful of front brake whilst leaned over. you got the first down outta the way early and its all gravy from now. heal up

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Glad you're OK Jackie, sounds nasty hon. naturally, everyone who reads this gets a free time travel trip back to our first slides. Mine was a long time ago on a really heavy kawi, thought I'd never ride again. I spent a little time cleaning the bike up (to sell it) and then fell in love with it all over again. Nothing beats good riding gear though.

speedy recovery!

-dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

Heal up soon!

Will you be making it up to the track next weekend?Also I think I know where this was in boxford and if I do, that section is a blast going the opposite way.

Lifer

+1 to all above.

If there's anything I can do..

Heal well, kiddo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    You got your first one out the way pretty quickly.
    Here'a dry New England wit at it's finest.

Heal up fast, and definitely get back on the horse that threw you. This was a learning experience, and now you know, hard braking in a turn = bad things happening. My first group ride, I took a corner faster than I was ready for, and ended up halfway in the next lane over. I was super lucky that there wasn't a car coming, but I took some time to calm my nerves and learn from it.

Overpants are a really good idea for preventing knee gashes, btw, and most zip to jackets so you don't have to worry about the jacket riding up and rashing your stomach. If you don't find a place that has any ins tock, you are welcome to try mine on and see what size you'd need to order.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Jackie - sorry to hear about your mishap but glad that you're OK! I hope you heal quickly and are feeling better soon!

the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

You're a tough cookie kid. The bike should be fine. It fired up and ran better than Pete's lol.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

this is very similar to the accident I had that I alluded to on fb. I didn't go down but the jersey barrier put a nice gas in my knee. ruined my nice leg too. now I have a dark scar and the bottom bone sticks out a little for some odd reason even though there was nothing more than a scratch on the bone.

glad you aren't too bad though.

welcome to the group. consider yourself blessed and lucky that was all the "damage" on you and that you have so many people in your life who care and are there for you!
    those motorcycle crashes make good stories in the future
    heal quick

Glad you are okay and no surgery required. Stitches suck, but at least you'll be healed up in 2 weeks.

Let's see some pictures of the before and after!!

Legally, I'm so glad you are going to be fine and don't worry about your scar. You will always have a good story to tell. I had a crash early in my riding career and you definitely will carry that with you as you ride into the future. I remember thinking as I was flying through the air how easy it was to lay the bike down. I'm more careful now.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast