Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody REEEEALLY into Suzuki Bandits?

rides bikes

Anybody REEEEALLY into Suzuki Bandits?

So, I'm always on the hunt for weird, rare, cool and random bikes. I recently had one of my favorite scores; a 2002 Bandit 1200S. On the surface, not that amazing. BUT - it's got 24 original miles, was never sold, never titled, never registered, and never really ridden. I got it from an older woman who helped her dad close up his dealership 10+ years ago. He never sold it, and it ended up sitting in this woman's garage. She was sick of looking at it, and fortunately enough people know I'm a motorcycle hoarder and I got the call. She was smart enough to store it on stands, and start it once in a while. By the time I got it, all I had to do was squirt a little starting fluid in it and put the jump box on. I've since drained the gas and put in a new battery and it runs flawlessly. I've had a few of these bikes (and a bunch of their motors swapped into old GSXRs) and none have run this nice. I'm pumped!

Anybody else find this cool? I'm not delusional, I know not everyone loves these oil cooled Bandits as much as I do. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it though. I'm going to start the process of getting it titled (only came with a certificate of origin) and I'll likely be selling it. For now I'm just kind of enjoying owning a weird little creampuff. I took it for a short ride (it only had 22 miles when I got it), but I don't want to rack up miles on it.

Anybody REEEEALLY into Suzuki Bandits?-img_4745-jpgAnybody REEEEALLY into Suzuki Bandits?-img_4747-jpgAnybody REEEEALLY into Suzuki Bandits?-img_4750-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Re: Anybody REEEEALLY into Suzuki Bandits?

Amazing story. Great bike. Very under-rated. Congrats on the barn find!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Is there a suzuki museum stateside? They need that bike

Badass! Maybe some Leno-type collector will pick it up for good money, but part of me hopes a real Bandit enthusiast finds it and has the pleasure of racking up some miles. Either one is better than collecting dust somewhere! Whatever happens, that's a cool find.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Very cool - barn finds of any type are exciting. Ebay will tell you if anyone is into barn find Bandits.

Lifer

I had an '01 naked. Probably the one bike I've owned that I never really loved and do not miss much at all. Mine burned oil and the carbs always seemed to need attention.

Wild story. Cannot imagine a 15+ year old machine in that condition, untitled like that. The Bandits did not really sell that well though. So I suppose that plays into it.

Those engine guards though.. those are not factory, are they? My '01 definitely did not have those.

rides bikes

They’re great bikes. If you’re looking at VFRs or other sport touring bikes, it’s worth a look.

They’re definitely not too popular around here, but over in the UK and EU they’re everywhere. They fall into that “practical sportbike” category.

I haven’t seen the engine guards either. I assume that was a dealer add-on.

Lifer

That’s awesome, and the 1250s is still on my short list for when I decide to step up from riding a rat bike.

Your park avenue leads to..

I could be into bandits, if'n they had 2 less cylinders. Otherwise, they seem like a totally practical bike, and look just like a pair of dad shoes (just like my current garage ornament).

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I went from my B12 => that DL650 you have. The DL is better for everyday life in almost every respect. The only thing the B12 really did better was destroy rear tires and wheelie. Very not dad-like activities.

Ironically all my non-motorcycle friends thought the DL was "much bigger".

I almost moved to a Bandit 600 off my 1980 CM200T but then spied a 1984 Honda VF1100S in the back of the shop and decided that would be a much smarter trade... I used to hate inline fours, now I have two in my stable?!

Very cool find. One of my favorite underrated bandits was the 400. I knew a guy that had one and what a blast to ride. Rev that thing to the moon and flying around the streets. Always wanted to try it on track.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    That’s awesome, and the 1250s is still on my short list for when I decide to step up from riding a rat bike.

Never stop riding rat bikes! My buddy built a badass hard tail chopper using a bandit 1200 motor. I think it ran low 11’s at the track.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I could be into bandits, if'n they had 2 less cylinders. Otherwise, they seem like a totally practical bike, and look just like a pair of dad shoes (just like my current garage ornament).
    I’ll admit, style isn’t their strong suit.

Banned

When Boston Moto had our shop in Bellingham, we had one in for storage one winter. It took for ever to warm up and just didnt seem to carburate properly. The owner said "it's always been like that" but gave me the ok to whip the carbs out and give them a look over.

Not one of the carbs was set up correctly. It had air jet springs and o rings missing, clogged pilots and was way out of balance. I put 4 carb rebuild kits on it and set it to factory setting on the mixture screws and jets. I took it for a test ride and it absolutely flew. That's no joke of a motor.

When the guy came and picked it up he was blown away when it started and idled perfectly instantly and he came back 10 minutes after picking it up to tell us how it lifted the front with ease and he had no idea how much power it could have. I think he had owned it for years with it not running right and never really known.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mgiossi View Post
    Very cool find. One of my favorite underrated bandits was the 400. I knew a guy that had one and what a blast to ride. Rev that thing to the moon and flying around the streets. Always wanted to try it on track.
    My wife had one of those. I loved taking it out. Sold it to someone from here many years ago. It was different than other Bandits in that it was liquid cooled.

the only thing to really be concerned with that generation of bandit is the oil/smoker issue. There was a weird situation where oil would get past the rings and burn up in the cylinder causing issues eventually.

I still have my 01 bandit with 20k+ on it. I'm leaning towards making it my winter project and get it fully running again.

Great find, good luck with it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    My wife had one of those. I loved taking it out. Sold it to someone from here many years ago. It was different than other Bandits in that it was liquid cooled.
    Are you sure it didnt just have an oil cooler?

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

I had a bandit of that vintage and it burned oil quite nicely, as they are known to do. I enjoyed the grunt of the engine for 2 up riding and even did a few track days with it. These are Suzuki's swiss army bike. Cool find!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ctbandit View Post
    I had a bandit of that vintage and it burned oil quite nicely, as they are known to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by noxin View Post
    the only thing to really be concerned with that generation of bandit is the oil/smoker issue. There was a weird situation where oil would get past the rings and burn up in the cylinder causing issues eventually.

Yep. Manufacturing screwup where the oil passages were drilled too high on the piston, basically in the piston ring grooves, as I remember. Mine also drank oil from almost immediately after break-in on. Although not quite at the pace some reported.

Great find .

Think they were about 7299 new back then .

You selling her ?

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

Those bandit 400s were liquid cooled. From what the internetz said it was basically the Japanese gsxr400 modded to be more of a sport touring bike for the US

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Great find .

Think they were about 7299 new back then .

You selling her ?
    Let me guess... You have $1,400 to spare.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

Positive. It was a neat little engine, pretty much built like a miniature first generation Ninja engine. Had screw and locknut valve lash adjustment. Easy to work on.

Banned

yeah. I didnt see the bit about it being a 400. my bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast