Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Reflectors

Reflectors

How many of you run into problems not having reflectors on the bike? Anyone know where I can find something like this(pic attached)? Just eliminated the fender so I lost the all rear reflectors. Not too worried about it but this is just in case I get denied the inspection sticker next year or get a fix-it ticket.

Reflectors-vetrina-8-2-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2009 XB12SCG Lightning

Re: Reflectors

They are not a necessary item to pass inspection in MA or NH....

My last 3 bikes had no reflectors and I've had zero problems.

I was hassled for missing reflectors during a traffic stop a couple of years ago, which I though was ridiculous since my whole tank is wrapped in reflective tape. But, the cop also gave me crap for "inoperative running lights"--meaning he though my turn signals should have been on with the bike running, so I'm not so sure he was interpreting the laws quite correctly.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

every time I get an inspection i get warned about not having reflectors.

In Mass I believe as part of the law you're suppose to have them but I'm sure it's not enforced unless you have a dickhead cop picking apart everything on your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by WokDisWey View Post
    Reflectors-vetrina-8-2-jpg
    And I don't think this reflector will suffice..

IN THE REAR : You need two red reflectors, one on each side facing them out to the side (not facing to the rear) {{edit: you might need a third facing the rear too....}}

IN THE FRONT : you need two yellow reflectors, one on each side facing the sides (not facing forward)

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 07-01-15 at 10:05 AM.

Looking at the responses, it looks like it depends on who does the inspection or if the officer is having a good/bad day. I can reuse the factory side reflectors but I would need something for the rear facing reflector. Seems like mounting one to the plate would be easiest. Are the circle bolt reflectors good enough? I really don't want to use them but if in a pinch, I won't complain.

2009 XB12SCG Lightning

My local MA motorcycle inspection station has a hardon about reflectors; they got penalized by the RMV for passing a bike without them before, they say. They sell stick-on ones right at the station for 2 bucks a piece, or you can get the same thing at any hardware store. If they look horrid and you dont want them on your bike, rip them off right after you get the sticker. Side reflectors need to be yellow up front and red in the rear, I believe.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I bought some el cheapo reflectors at Harbor Freight. Pull them off the wall, stick em on the forks, pass inspection, back on wall. I have some black tape reflectors that make their heads explode....

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I bought some el cheapo reflectors at Harbor Freight. Pull them off the wall, stick em on the forks, pass inspection, back on wall. I have some black tape reflectors that make their heads explode....
    I assume black reflective tape does not pass inspection? This was something I considered because my bike is all black and it wouldn't be noticeable. I want to be seen but not with all them ugly reflectors hanging around on the back. I have the amber reflectors on the front, though I would like to change them to clear reflectors.

2009 XB12SCG Lightning

Haven't had reflectors on my bikes for the last 10 years..... Never had an issue getting an inspection sticker because of that.

I guess I will find out what type of shop I go to the next time I go for an inspection. First 2 times I got mine inspected, reflectors were on.

2009 XB12SCG Lightning

My recommendation is to go to a Harley Shop. I don't know why but every time I've gone to a place that specialize in sportbikes, they nitpick my bike apart. Go to a Harley place, they usually just check the lights, turn signal and horn. Done.

Scooters, ditto.

I assume black reflective tape does not pass inspection? This was something I considered because my bike is all black and it wouldn't be noticeable. I want to be seen but not with all them ugly reflectors hanging around on the back. I have the amber reflectors on the front, though I would like to change them to clear reflectors.
    Black reflective tape won't legally pass, but the bike still might pass anyway. Like you said earlier, it depends on who's doing the inspection. Red retro-reflective tape might be legal, but probably not. I've used it as the only reflector on the tail tidy of my CBR for years with no problems. If the tape is marked DOT-Cx (where x is 1, 2, or 3) and it's the appropriate dimensions, you could argue it's legal to replace the reflex reflector. If the DOT-C label is visible on the tape, you'd win the argument unless you ran into someone really knew the legal code. If there's no DOT-C stamp, you lose if they want to be bitches about it.

The image below shows DOT-C2 tape, but the DOT-C2 label is only on the white part of the tape.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by oVTo; 07-01-15 at 07:09 PM. Reason: bored
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

My Dad bought his FJR brand new from a shop. Rode it home after the inspection bay had closed for the day.

Went back the next day to get it inspected, they tried to sell him $5 reflectors to get it to pass. He gently reminded them that they had just sold him a brand new bike that won't pass inspection.

Needless to say, we never take our bikes to get inspected at Cycle Design anymore. That was a few years back. I tried just for shits and grins again this year, same bullshit about reflectors on my completely stock bike. No wonder the place is a ghost town.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Haven't had reflectors on my bikes for the last 10 years..... Never had an issue getting an inspection sticker because of that.
    I guess I will find out what type of shop I go to the next time I go for an inspection. First 2 times I got mine inspected, reflectors were on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    My recommendation is to go to a Harley Shop. I don't know why but every time I've gone to a place that specialize in sportbikes, they nitpick my bike apart. Go to a Harley place, they usually just check the lights, turn signal and horn. Done.
    Just because your bike passes inspection doesn't mean you wont get pulled over and get a ticket for it....

I got a ticket for my lights once... I had all the proper lights I needed to have on the bike but they were all LED and done custom by me and they were not DOT compliant.

Bike had passed inspection 4 years in a row with no issues but when I got pulled over I got the ticket for them and had to change everything back to DOT compliant lights. it was a pain in the ass and cost me around $200 bucks because I had to buy a new fender eliminator that would hold the net DOT compliant lights.

Lifer

Somewhere on the MA RMV site is the actual inspection requirements in PDF if anyone wants to read it and remove a bit of the mystery to the requirements. Of course, that doesn't mean an inspection person or police officer might have interpreted or remembered differently.

nedirtriders.com