Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Registering an out of state bike in VT?

So I'm in possession of a bike that is registered (and owned by my frined) in PA. I'm sending him a check this week for the bike, so we have to do the DMV crap. Anybody done this before? I'm trying to save an extra trip to the DMV. Will there have to be signatures in front of a notary with both of us present, or can we do it all through the mail?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God invented fast motorcycles, Bubba..." - Hunter S. Thompson

I've experienced very favorable results when communicating directly with the VT DMV via email. They even used smilie faces in the exchange.

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Littering and........

Assuming that he sends you the title and a bill of sale, there is no need for a notary.

You will need to take the bike to either a police station or to the DMV to have the VIN # verified. They will also base your tax on whatever the bike books for, so I'd recommend getting an appraisal form and having a bike shop do an appraisal on it (it usually comes out less than the book value, and a nice bike shop owner will under-value it.)

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    Assuming that he sends you the title and a bill of sale, there is no need for a notary.

You will need to take the bike to either a police station or to the DMV to have the VIN # verified. They will also base your tax on whatever the bike books for, so I'd recommend getting an appraisal form and having a bike shop do an appraisal on it (it usually comes out less than the book value, and a nice bike shop owner will under-value it.)
    Nice! Is the appraisal form a DMV document or just something generic from the shop?

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God invented fast motorcycles, Bubba..." - Hunter S. Thompson

just stop by your local police station and pick up a registration form (most police stations have these in their lobby, some town halls also provide them)and odometer disclosure form/ bill of sale form, etc. then you can have all your paperwork ready when you get to the dmv. I really recommend going early in the morning with all of your forms filled out already, it will really shorten your wait time, if you get there right when they open. they have super early hours a couple days of the week...

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by newbob View Post
    Nice! Is the appraisal form a DMV document or just something generic from the shop?
    You can get it at any police station.

also you can get a tax credit if you sold a bike recently (previous 90 days)

that took a nice big chunk out of my gixxer 1k tax. Sold my 01 750 and turned in the plate when I reg'd the 1k. I'm not sure if transferring a reg from one bike to another saves you any $