Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Registering a dirtbike in VT or NH

Re: Registering a dirtbike in VT or NH

Lol looks like I evaded taxes here in Mass on my bike, oh well good thing I'm going back to NJ on the 15th and still have a NJ Drivers License with the Registation down there also.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Carl

07 Blue Ninja 650R (EX650)

ok, I think I am going to try and title it in NH... Not sure how to approach them with the "offroad only" on the certificate of origin.

You won't need the title just a bill of sale and the sheet from the MC shop.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    NH will not issue you a title. They just make you get it inspected at a MC shop so they can make sure you have a Tail/Brake light, left hand Mirror, and a Horn. When the guy asks for your left directional use your hand signal they taught you in drivers ed, same for the right. Once he signs off on this all you need is a bill of sale and go to the town office and viola your in.

I have done this with 3 bikes now.

KB
    So why aren't my CRF's registered yet?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

O would love a plate For my 250 So I can hit some of those class 5 roads KB is always on about.

Doc?

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Yes, nonresidents can register their vehicles in Vermont. My dad (who lives in Maryland) has his bike registered here.

The only problem is that technically you need to keep your yearly inspection up to date, which requires going to a Vermont inspection station.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Hi guys... new member here. I'm a NY resident. I've been researching VT registration and came across this thread. So Kitt, how did it go? Did you get your bike plated? Titled? I was going to use ITS (International Titling Service) but all they do is register it in VT and charge you fees so I think I'll just try it myself. Been looking at VT DMV website (it's so clear and user friendly... It's like they actually want you to accomplish your goal! NY should take lessons!) and it looks totally strait-forward. I'm planning to register my '83 RM125 just for kicks. As far as I can tell, I just fill out the forms and send them a check and they send me plates. Then I guess I can try to transfer the reg to NY, add lights and get it inspected like any other bike. If for some reason (VIN# draws a red flag, etc.) I can't transfer the reg, I'll just keep the VT plates. But, then I guess I'd have to take it up to VT once a year to renew the inspection. Right? Thanks for any tips from people who've done this!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    Hi guys... new member here. I'm a NY resident. I've been researching VT registration and came across this thread. So Kitt, how did it go? Did you get your bike plated? Titled? I was going to use ITS (International Titling Service) but all they do is register it in VT and charge you fees so I think I'll just try it myself. Been looking at VT DMV website (it's so clear and user friendly... It's like they actually want you to accomplish your goal! NY should take lessons!) and it looks totally strait-forward. I'm planning to register my '83 RM125 just for kicks. As far as I can tell, I just fill out the forms and send them a check and they send me plates. Then I guess I can try to transfer the reg to NY, add lights and get it inspected like any other bike. If for some reason (VIN# draws a red flag, etc.) I can't transfer the reg, I'll just keep the VT plates. But, then I guess I'd have to take it up to VT once a year to renew the inspection. Right? Thanks for any tips from people who've done this!
    I smell a rat...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I used to reg my jet ski in NH only and used in MA waters all the time no issues at all............I love being a border jumper well used to LOLOLOLOLOL

Lifer

Kitt, PM me with questions. I have done this many times, and I recently helped someone on this board with a WR.

Lifer

There are a lot of good, valid points in this thread. The key lies in what you really want to do with your machine. If you want to legitimately ride on the street in your state, running and out of state plate is *not* what you want to do. However, if you need a "Starting Point" for a paper trail, that is another thing.

This was a success (in NH then NY title). Now I live in VT so things are easier to begin with.

To Jonah, a your bike wont get a title issued in VT due to size and age. Not sure if a transferable reg will hold any weight in NY.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12