Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Registering NY titled bike in MA

Registering NY titled bike in MA

Okay,

So I don't want to go to the RMV more than once, but I'd love to get my bike on the road for tomorrow.

So apparently in NY, you can have a lien on the bike, but they still let you hold the title of it, it just says that there is a lien on it. I bought the bike, the original lien is paid off, but I am waiting for a new title to be issued that says no lien is on the bike. I have a lien on the bike myself though.

The person I bought it from says I can register it with that title, but that it will become inactive once the new one is issued. He has bought and sold a lot of bikes, but never to someone in MA.

Will this work? If not, no big deal, but tomorrow is supposed to be really nice out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: Registering NY titled bike in MA

I know you can't register one in NY with a lein on the title.

I also haven't heard of a new title being issued (seems fishy). It's an extra title fee for nothing. Usually a letter of lein release, or notarized lein release is all you need to accompany that title.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I know you can't register one in NY with a lein on the title.

I also haven't heard of a new title being issued (seems fishy). It's an extra title fee for nothing. Usually a letter of lein release, or notarized lein release is all you need to accompany that title.
    Hm, so a letter of lien release is what they will be sending me then? I bought this from one of my best friends father, whos a total motorcycle/ducati fanatic with a whole bunch of bikes, so I'm not worried about getting screwed out of something, just wanna get this on the road.

You will need the letter of release. I think they can fax it too.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

from what I understand and have experienced with my two bike purchases is this...

1. the owner of the bike pays it off and gets a title made with him as the owner or has a letter of lien release saying the lien has been payed off.

2. he signs that title over to you

3. you take that title to the insurance company and they write up the insurance for you and give you the stamped document saying you have insurance on the bike (can't register with out insurance in Ma.)

4. go to the registry with that insurance doc and the title and register your bike, pay taxes and a title fee...

5. You go get the bike inspected in 7 days and the registry then sends the new title to your lien holder till you pay it off unless you payed in full without a loan in which the title is sent to you instead of the lien holder

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 04-20-10 at 10:00 AM.

I just registered my RC, which I bought from a guy in NY. The title he gave me had a lein right on it, and I also recieved a release of lein letter. The lady at the RMV said no dice until I gave her the release of lein letter. Once I remembered to give it to her we were all set.

2002 RVT1000R
    1998 VFR800Fi
    2002 CR80RB

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    from what I understand and have experienced with my two bike purchases is this...

1. the owner of the bike pays it off and gets a title made with him as the owner or has a letter of lien release saying the lien has been payed off.

2. he signs that title over to you

3. you take that title to the insurance company and they write up the insurance for you and give you the stamped document saying you have insurance on the bike (can't register with out insurance in Ma.)

4. go to the registry with that insurance doc and the title and register your bike, pay taxes and a title fee...

5. You go get the bike inspected in 7 days and the registry then sends the new title to your lien holder till you pay it off unless you payed in full without a loan in which the title is sent to you instead of the lien holder
    Already have insurance, you can do that with just a Vin. But the rest of it sounds about right. This is the first time I've bought something with a lien on it, so I just wanna get it right, especially since going to the RMV means time from work.

Quote Originally Posted by JalopySiR View Post
    I just registered my RC, which I bought from a guy in NY. The title he gave me had a lein right on it, and I also recieved a release of lein letter. The lady at the RMV said no dice until I gave her the release of lein letter. Once I remembered to give it to her we were all set.
    Cool, exactly my situation.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I HATE THE REGISTRY.. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    I HATE THE REGISTRY.. good luck
    Yeah, I hate the fact I gotta take a half day from work to go. If the Boston one wasn't such a mess, I could do it at lunch, but Its absurd there. I wanna say when I went to renew my license last year it was like 112 people in front of me. I left and went to one outside the city instead.

Keep in mind they don't take credit card to register vehicles or do title transfers. They only take cash or check.

A title transfer alone is like $70 and the registration is $15? $20? Just FYI...

Quote Originally Posted by civstyle View Post
    Keep in mind they don't take credit card to register vehicles or do title transfers. They only take cash or check.

A title transfer alone is like $70 and the registration is $15? $20? Just FYI...
    Yup, I've been there before...luckily I always have a check book in my car.

I have the same issue right now. I would like to purchase a bike in Rochester, NY, but want to know how to approach this because I do not want to mess up since this would be an expensive purchase.

Here is the situation:

Seller has the title on hand but there is lien on it. What are my options to bring the bike home? Can I go there, pay it off, ride it home with the Title and Bill of Sale? How do I approach the insurance situation. Can I get it insured using the VIN and then ride it home until I can go to the RMV and register it with the title? Man, I am so confused because this is an out of state purchase. Please help because I need to probably put a deposit on the bike by tomorrow morning if I want to have the bike. Thanks!

Well first of all the owner needs to pay off the bike and get the release of lien. If you do not have the release of lien you cannot register/get a title in your name. So basically the bike needs to be paid off. Also the RMV will NOT accept faxed copies. It needs to be an original with a notary stamp on it. If the owner has some way to get the release of lien on the bike for when you get out there you should be able to ride it home once you call your INS comp and but ins on it over the phone.

Do you have a bike now? What you can do is the the plate off of a current bike in your possesion and put it on the bike you are buying, the insurance from the other bike will transfer over also, but only for a period of 7 days. Its called the 7 day transfer law.

Cliffnotes: Need a release of lien to register bike, no way around it.

Bike: 04 SV1K
    Cage: 06 Mini cooper s, 200whp

Quote Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post
    Well first of all the owner needs to pay off the bike and get the release of lien. If you do not have the release of lien you cannot register/get a title in your name. So basically the bike needs to be paid off. Also the RMV will NOT accept faxed copies. It needs to be an original with a notary stamp on it. If the owner has some way to get the release of lien on the bike for when you get out there you should be able to ride it home once you call your INS comp and but ins on it over the phone.

Do you have a bike now? What you can do is the the plate off of a current bike in your possesion and put it on the bike you are buying, the insurance from the other bike will transfer over also, but only for a period of 7 days. Its called the 7 day transfer law.

Cliffnotes: Need a release of lien to register bike, no way around it.
    Well, I think we will work something out where the seller will bring the bike down to me and we do the transaction at my bike where they can pay off the loan by connecting with the seller's bank. I think that would work, but I need to talk to my bank tomorrow. Hopefully it works and I will have a new to me bike by Thursday.