Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Out of state registration

Out of state registration

I'm looking at being able to potentially purchase a Ninja 250 from TN. I'm headed to The Gap with the BF at the end of June and the bike is located about an hour away from where we are staying with friends. A friend who lives near the bike is willing to go check it out and take it for a test drive in order to let the seller know if we are definitely going for it.

The seller states the bike is not currently registered, which means I won't be able to ride it while in TN and I was hoping to be able to ride with everyone while down there. Any one know any ways to get the bike registered in TN for a non-resident for a period of a couple weeks so I don't have to be a passenger the entire time we are down there?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

Re: Out of state registration

If it does end up being a good deal you want to go for, you should be able to buy it and get the title mailed up here, then do all the necessary paperwork and register it. Then when you go down, bring the plate with you, throw it on, and ride. This all takes time though and it may take a while to get the title transferred to be able to register it, depending on if the seller has it readily available. Not an easy situation but can be done. Other than that, I don't see a solution for you being able to ride it while there.

That might work with a temp reg from MA. But if it's a private sale, wouldn't an in-state LEO, or someone from the RMV, have to verify the VIN and check it to actually reg the bike? But even if you did it now, the temp reg should still cover it while down there. Would suck to get home and find out it's hot.

Why there are no ninja 250's 1300 miles closer is the real question

Lifer

You can't register it with a purchase and sales agreement in mass then go buy it?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    That might work with a temp reg from MA.
    Temporary MA registration? I am under the understanding that there is no such thing. MA doesn't do temp plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    That might work with a temp reg from MA. But if it's a private sale, wouldn't an in-state LEO, or someone from the RMV, have to verify the VIN and check it to actually reg the bike? But even if you did it now, the temp reg should still cover it while down there. Would suck to get home and find out it's hot.

Why there are no ninja 250's 1300 miles closer is the real question

I have actually been looking closer to home and responded to multiple adds via email (no phone listed) and have no replies The Ninja in TN is someone who knows the guy my BF sold his old FZ1 to years ago. BF and the buyer had stayed in contact via a bike forum so when BF posted what we were looking for this guy let us know he knew a guy and got us the info. If we weren't going to TN and weren't going to only be an hour away from the bike then it would be out the window. But because we are going to be there then we are looking into it and hoping it works out since I am having no luck here.

If you know of any though that would be awesome! I've been able to bring my budget up to 2.5k, looking Ninja 250 2008 or newer.

Thanks for the thoughts on the registration. I guess I should see if MA will let me do a purchase and sale agreement with the VIN number to get plates before leaving. If not, my only thought is to have my BF's friend put in his name in TN, register it, and then we "buy" it back from him when we leave TN so I can register in MA upon getting home.

2016 Ninja 650

There is a few on craigs....

see: http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/3854061744.html

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
    I have actually been looking closer to home and responded to multiple adds via email (no phone listed) and have no replies The Ninja in TN is someone who knows the guy my BF sold his old FZ1 to years ago. BF and the buyer had stayed in contact via a bike forum so when BF posted what we were looking for this guy let us know he knew a guy and got us the info. If we weren't going to TN and weren't going to only be an hour away from the bike then it would be out the window. But because we are going to be there then we are looking into it and hoping it works out since I am having no luck here.

If you know of any though that would be awesome! I've been able to bring my budget up to 2.5k, looking Ninja 250 2008 or newer.

Thanks for the thoughts on the registration. I guess I should see if MA will let me do a purchase and sale agreement with the VIN number to get plates before leaving. If not, my only thought is to have my BF's friend put in his name in TN, register it, and then we "buy" it back from him when we leave TN so I can register in MA upon getting home.
    Ma should allow you to reg with a purchase and sales, that's how every dealership registers a car for you before you show up to pay for it. An alternate would be if you have a good friend in NH that really trusts you, that would get you a 20 day plate for it with the purchase and sales agreement. I'm 100% certain NH does it, I'm 99.9% certain Ma does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Find me a great deal on a supersport on craigstlist, and sell my SV on there. Thanks. Let me know when everything is done.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by aprilb View Post

You'll need the signed title to get plates in MA. Can't just do a P&S.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The BF lives in NH, so maybe we will try to go through them if we can get a 20 day temp plate! Thanks!

Thanks for the Craig's list adds, I'm going to see if the first one has any wiggle room in price as 2.5k is my top range.

2016 Ninja 650

Yea....NP any time

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    You'll need the signed title to get plates in MA. Can't just do a P&S.
    That .1 mutherfuckin' percent got me huh?

yea MA Blows no temp plates and you have to be a NH resident or have a NH drivers license to get temps in NH...

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    That .1 mutherfuckin' percent got me huh?
    Not unless you are a dealer!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/vehicle/ge...ppermits.shtml

TN FAQ: http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titlereg.shtml

This might help?
    TEMPORARY PLATE APPLICATION FORM
    Tennessee Code Ann. § 55-4-221(c)(4) allows temporary operation plates to be issued to motor vehicle dealers for use in cases where dealer plates cannot be issued. These plates allow owners a thirty-day (30) period in which official registration may be obtained for the vehicle. No person may operate a motor vehicle for more than sixty (60) days with a temporary plate. Additionally, temporary plates may not be assigned to truck or truck tractors being used or tested under load conditions over the streets and highways in Tennessee.
    Cost: $5.50. But seems to require issue from a dealer.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-07-13 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks Garandman! I will check it out and see if there is anything related to private sales. Our friends have lots of connections in TN around the The Gap so maybe one of them could direct us to a way to get temp TN plates if there is a loophole or something for private sales. Must continue digging! Thanks for the replies all

2016 Ninja 650

Lifer

Just get the nh 20 day and be done. It's $20 and takes 5 minutes.