Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Renting a motorcycle from a private party

Re: Renting a motorcycle from a private party

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I have a coworker who wrecked his friends VFR. It was a slow speed, parking lot wreck, but the coworker got hurt - requiring medical attention. According to him, the whole thing was a colossal mess - insurance wise - and in the end, it cost him a small fortune. The medical bills exceeded $100k, and *nobody's* insurance would cover the bills - not the bike owners insurance co., not his own health insurance co., nobody. It took years of wrangling for him to finally get it settled, but to this day, he will not touch another person's vehicle - car, bike, etc.. Over the years, the stress of the threat of financial ruin took its toll on his family. This accident occurred over 10 years ago, but it is scary story to hear.
    He is now very well versed in insurance coverage and rules. Apparently, there is an insurance rider that must be purchased (in MA) to cover loaning your bike out to friends... Without speaking to your insurance agent, it is a risky proposition. That is all I can offer here.

Loaning your bike out is definitely one of those cases when, what you don't know, *can* hurt you.
    What I want to know, how could this have been a slow speed crash in a parking lot with hospital bills over $100k??? My best friend crashed into a metal traffic barrier, at an angle going at 50 mph. Walked away with just a bruise. What the hell did that dude do? Wear flip flops and a bandana? I just can't imagine that much damage from a small parking lot stint. What is he not telling you/us?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You need to help yourself first before you can help anyone else.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R [Haku]
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 [Kiku]

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by luukasama View Post
    What I want to know, how could this have been a slow speed crash in a parking lot with hospital bills over $100k??? My best friend crashed into a metal traffic barrier, at an angle going at 50 mph. Walked away with just a bruise. What the hell did that dude do? Wear flip flops and a bandana? I just can't imagine that much damage from a small parking lot stint. What is he not telling you/us?
    Naw - The guy is a straight shooter, Eagle scout, ex-military, etc. - but he did have sneakers and jeans on. I forgot what he told me about the bike, but he ended up paying the guy out-of-pocket for the damage, and, worst of all - he felt horrible about it. His friend got dragged into the mess as well, and it was a huge, lengthy PITA for everybody concerned.
    $100k is easily racked up these days with muscle and cartilage damage in the knee and ankle, physical therapy, meds, etc.. I asked him why he didn't report the injury as something else (ie - mountain bike?) - he replied that was kind of hard to do after the ambulance showed up...
    These days, it does not take much at all to cross the $100k mark with medical bills.
    All I am saying is - if you could hear his story, you would never loan your bike out again, and you would think twice before riding somebody else's. Things can get *really bad*, really quickly. Insurance companies are really difficult to deal with during these types of incidents.

Last edited by gregp; 08-19-13 at 12:23 PM.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

http://www.eaglerider.com/

has a Foxboro pickup

here is the list of bikes

http://www.eaglerider.com/vehicle-list.aspx

154 for a Wing...

then you can add AMA discount for even less

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

you can easily hit your head real good at 10mph and spend a day or a year in a coma. each night in the hospital adds up real quick. I spent about 4-5 hours in the hospital when I broke my collarbone. I think it was billed as $3000 to the insurance company and all I brought home were some scrubs, a sling and cd with x-ray on it. each additional trip to the doctor was $1000. I think there were 4 of them and each was in and out in less than 5 minutes. plus x-rays each time and the ambulance ride which I had to pay for and it was about $8000 all totaled. that was an easy and cheap one.

I cut my thumb in the basement one night. Sprayed it withbSaline solition to rinse it out, covered it. Waited until the next morning to go to the doctor's office instead of the emergency room. The cut required three stitches.

$2,200.

Welcome to the American health care system.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-19-13 at 06:29 PM.

I whacked myself with a hatchet in the shin. I think I payed a $15 co pay for 2 stitches at the office. I think insurance was billed $150.

Then again, my wife got hospitalized with pneumonia they could see on the x-ray $15k.

If you don't like your medical bill, first you thank a lawyer and then you thank your locally elected representative.

Lifer

I think that the key to safely renting a motorcycle, or any vehicle is *Insurance*. The places and companies that do rent out bikes have researched and purchased to optimum coverage, or at least enough to cover themselves. They can then leave the rest up to the customer - much like rental car companies. They have *their* insurance, and you can purchase yours - or not. The last time I was with a person who was renting a car, I was surprised to watch him decline the optional insurance. These days they will nail you for every ding and scratch in the vehicle, although your own vehicle insurance may cover you in a rental to some extent - I am not sure... These are all things that a person should know in advance of renting. A quick call to your insurance company can give you some answers, although without having it in writing, I am not sure that I would want to trust a phone conversation...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12