Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Renting a motorcycle from a private party

Renting a motorcycle from a private party

I don't currently own a motorcycle and due to the storage issues I can't buy right now. But I miss riding and want to occasionally rent a motorcycle. The problem is that nobody rents motorcycles around Boston, the closest is about an hour drive from where I live which is not worth it for me. Does anybody know if it's legal to rent from a private owner? Where can I find somebody willing to rent their bike for a day? I want to pay $50-70 per day and I live in Arlington, MA (pretty close to Boston).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Renting a motorcycle from a private party

Boston Harely Davidson in Everett rents bikes.

Insurance is problematic for a private owner.

Unfortunately, Boston Harley Davidson stopped renting. They have another location in NH but it's really far.

Lifer

Mom's south in foxboro?

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Good luck at $50-$70

You will be looking in the $200 per day range MINIMUM to rent a bike, with a large deposit and your own insurance.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

My brother rents harley's from someplace close to boston. He just did one last week. As a matter of fact he does it every few weeks so i know its gotta be close to the city. It aint cheap though. Think he says its about $150 everytime. Then you gotta rent gear if you dont have any.
    I can ask him if next time i talk to him but its certainly not in your price range. There is a kid out in springfield that rents out his ninja on craigslist. Ive had a few friends use him when they need a bike so he is legit. I dont know if he is still doing it though.

Hypertarded

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/factory-store/rentals

also about an hour away from you, but your pretty limited in choices so it's at least another option, between $110 - $180 per day less if you do 3-4 days at a time.

sounds like a long shot, so to answer your original question, I'd say "no"

but anything is possible on craigslist

no friends?

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

I probably would rent mine... but I definitely would have to figure out insurance coverage and liability... then again the bike I own now is old and not worth as much, I probably wouldn't on some of my previous rides that were more pristine.

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

I probably would rent mine... but I definitely would have to figure out insurance coverage and liability... then again the bike I own now is old and not worth as much, I probably wouldn't on some of my previous rides that were more pristine.

Lifer

http://www.momsouth.com/eaglerider.htm

Here's the link to rentals at Mom's South.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Good luck at $50-$70

You will be looking in the $200 per day range MINIMUM to rent a bike, with a large deposit and your own insurance.
    I rented a 2013 Harley from a dealership in Dartmouth, it was $100 / day.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    no friends?
    Rather no friends with bikes. Weird, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    Wirelessly posted

I'll PM you, maybe we can make it happen! I don't care if the bike is old, just want to ride sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by london View Post
    Rather no friends with bikes. Weird, right?
    that is, by far, the cheapest and easiest way to do it. takes care of insurance and ownership (and rental cost) issues

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-18-13 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    that is, by far, the cheapest and easiest way to do it. takes care of insurance and ownership (and rental cost) issues
    Doesn't insurance on a bike only cover the owner and not friends? Do you know if it's legal to let your friends ride your motorcycle just like it's legal to let friends drive your car?

actually, that's the one thing I was unclear on...technically the insurance of the driver covers the cost of an at-fault accident

however, you do have insurance as a driver for a car, right?

you might want to call them to ensure you have coverage if rode someone else's bike

Lifer

might want to make sure they have an actual motorcycle license endorsement too.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by london
    Wirelessly posted

Good luck at $50-$70

I rented a 2013 Harley from a dealership in Dartmouth, it was $100 / day.
    You did good. When i worked at minuteman, their rates were higher than that.

problem with renting from a person is the person doesn't know you. so good luck finding someone to just hand you their bike for $75.

Wirelessly posted

Monday to Thursday are cheaper than Friday - Sunday.

I know people that have rented there and had a bad experience. Hell, everyone I have ever spoken to that worked or shopped there had a bad experience.

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Lifer

I have a coworker who wrecked his friends VFR. It was a slow speed, parking lot wreck, but the coworker got hurt - requiring medical attention. According to him, the whole thing was a colossal mess - insurance wise - and in the end, it cost him a small fortune. The medical bills exceeded $100k, and *nobody's* insurance would cover the bills - not the bike owners insurance co., not his own health insurance co., nobody. It took years of wrangling for him to finally get it settled, but to this day, he will not touch another person's vehicle - car, bike, etc.. Over the years, the stress of the threat of financial ruin took its toll on his family. This accident occurred over 10 years ago, but it is scary story to hear.
    He is now very well versed in insurance coverage and rules. Apparently, there is an insurance rider that must be purchased (in MA) to cover loaning your bike out to friends... Without speaking to your insurance agent, it is a risky proposition. That is all I can offer here.

Loaning your bike out is definitely one of those cases when, what you don't know, *can* hurt you.

Last edited by gregp; 08-18-13 at 09:36 PM.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynnus
    Wirelessly posted

Monday to Thursday are cheaper than Friday - Sunday.

I know people that have rented there and had a bad experience. Hell, everyone I have ever spoken to that worked or shopped there had a bad experience.
    True dat.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I have a coworker who wrecked his friends VFR. It was a slow speed, parking lot wreck, but the coworker got hurt - requiring medical attention. According to him, the whole thing was a colossal mess - insurance wise - and in the end, it cost him a small fortune. The medical bills exceeded $100k, and *nobody's* insurance would cover the bills - not the bike owners insurance co., not his own health insurance co., nobody. It took years of wrangling for him to finally get it settled, but to this day, he will not touch another person's vehicle - car, bike, etc.. Over the years, the stress of the threat of financial ruin took its toll on his family. This accident occurred over 10 years ago, but it is scary story to hear.
    He is now very well versed in insurance coverage and rules. Apparently, there is an insurance rider that must be purchased (in MA) to cover loaning your bike out to friends... Without speaking to your insurance agent, it is a risky proposition. That is all I can offer here.

Loaning your bike out is definitely one of those cases when, what you don't know, *can* hurt you.
    whoa crap! my Dad never let any of our friends try the dirtbikes we bought and rode at our house for this reason...I figured the rider's medical insurance should cover something like this, but buyer beware...

i called my insurance (progressive) a while back to ask the same question. Not if it was rented but if a friend was riding it. They said as long as said person rides it less than 12 times per year, they are covered the same as if I was riding it.

YMMV with a 'rental' though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast