Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RHINO Body Armor

RHINO Body Armor

Last night I got to bed at 12:15AM, the night before, and the night before that it was 2:15AM (I'm sure Bill was still wide awake : ) ). I've been up to my eyeballs in research and development, materials testing, lab analysis reports, trademark and licensing issues, web site development, as well as fielding dozens of questions from OEM manufacturers, distributors and suppliers.

For those that don't already know, I have recently decided to put forth a significant investment towards the development of body armor, specifically back and chest protectors (at least for now). Hip armor will follow soon. URL and trademark filings have been completed and we have chosen the name RHINO Body Armor. Armadillo was scrubbed after we got feedback from the mid-west that armadillos don't stand up well to cars...basically they get mushed and stink, so we didn't want to be known as road kill armor. lol. Rhino's are tough, durable, pretty indestructible and project a positive mental image of protection.

Product development is progressing as well as can be expected. Substrate selection has been completed and my influence and skillful negotiating prevailed since we will be able to deal directly with the manufacturer on our substrate rather than having to deal with a distributor. This way reformulations and sheet splitting can be handled quickly. In fact, they will even help us line up fabrication and full product manufacturing assembly if need be. Before I do that we'll need substantial demand.
    Polycarbonate selection was a bit involvolved. Several issues with impact testing specifically polycarb thickness relative to substrate density, fabrication and color selection. A few more tests were required and a final selection was made several days ago. Selection of an elastic manufacturer who will supply a tri-woven elastic (basically the best available) for a detachable waist belt. (This company manufactures the woven surgical elastic for Ortho knee, elbow, wrist braces). The back protector is being designed with removable waist and shoulder suspender belts. The chest protector will also feature a removable attachment belt. Hook and loop attachment testing is still being conducted as are extensive tests relative to adhesives. I have a development team (actually 2 of them) working out issues regarding plasticizer migration (technical term for chemical reaction that happens to various adhesives). 3M has several technical people sleeping on the tape / adhesive situation since we are bonding polycarb to a complex substrate. There were visual issues which made the polycarb selection difficult, but those have been resolved. Label samples have been ordered and so we are down to choice of 4 possible selections, although leaning towards one of 2. It's amazing how many choices there are when it comes to something as simple as a label.

I briefly contemplated considering a financing/merger with another armor company but there are a number of reasons why this does not seem to make sense, namely, product turnover and customer loyalty which would greatly skew book value determination -- not in our favor. Plus, book valuations are indeterminate, leaving no basis for exit strategy values. Complex, but pretty much that was my world before semi-retirement.

Anyway, that's the update as of now. I'll keep you posted as we progress.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

RHINO Body Armor

Hey chuck, if you need an average person to wear such protection on the street to report on its comfort, I would be willing to be the guinea pig. Being the average size sport rider 5'11" 165lb

I'm not going to do crash testing for you but I will report back on its comfort.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

RHINO Body Armor

Very specific ASTM impact tests have been done whereby we've had the armor substrate subjected to substantial shock and impact loads. The most convincing from an "ouch" perspective would be the 200lb. weight, 10' drop onto 4"x4" surface test. Basically an average man jumping off a house onto a 4x4 post. Do not try this at home. Without Rhino Body Armor, you tear your sternum and death occurs rapidly. With Rhino Body Armor you feel a good jolt but do not even break a rib. Unless the person was Lennox Lewis or hitting you with a sledgehammer, Mark, I don't think you'd have much to fear about a punch in the chest. lol.

Comfort will be as good as can be. The units will be custom sized. We will also be using a line of elastic belting made by the mfr's of Ortho's orthopedic knee, elbow, wrist braces. We're also going to introduce a "stretchable" velcro detachable belting system. This technology is very new and we'll be one of the first companies anywhere to spec it.

I'll keep you posted as to product intro. We are scheduled to have finished product to demonstrate next Thursday, June 27th and I'll probably bring it to MotoMarket. We'll begin taking orders then too.

2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
    2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - lemon - repurchased by Ducati
    2002 Ducati 998S Bostrom - sold

RHINO Body Armor

Hey Chuck!
    That wasn't me!!!
    We got another Tiller dood here now!

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

RHINO Body Armor

Originally posted by MotoMarket
    I would like to point out that there is no business relationship between Chuck's Rhino armor and Moto Market. There will be no Rhino business taking place on Moto Market property. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments.

Paul Conley
    Moto Market Protective Gear
    978-635-1095
    This is entirely fuckin' rediculous already. I don't remember any one even implying that you were backing him. Not that any one gives a rat's ass either. Hard to believe you'd regi on the board just to get across some dumbass point that didn't even apparently need to be mentioned...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

RHINO Body Armor

First, thanks to everyone for the kind words, friendship and encouragement. I embarked on this endeavor based on seeing first hand, a significant number of fatalities and paralysis injuries. I did not approach Paul or Suzanne with Rhino Body Armor for several reasons (none of them bad): First, because it is unlikely that a dealer or distributor would seek to stock a product that did not have an established, proven following; second, initial sales of the products are going to be done at an introductory "discount" price, thus negating "suggested retail" pricing.

Aside from my usual straightforwardness I honestly did not finance this venture with the intent of receiving substantial income from it, rather to try to offer motorcyclists and others a professional, industrial grade body armor that would perhaps reduce or eliminate their injuries. I think we have come a long way in that regard as those that have followed the progress have repeatedly told me.

Paul and Suzanne have always been cordial and professional, so my response should be no less. I certainly did not intend to in any way hurt their business and, in fact, spoke with the Tucker Rocky rep. that supplies their store with many products, about Rhino's line of body armor. Since I know Paul and Suzanne (and have since nearly the day their store opened), it would make more sense to deal directly with them, but for reasons stated above, I have held back doing that. I am somewhat surprised, (albeit very little really surprises me anymore), that Paul posted here rather than speak with or call me about this, especially since Suzanne called me about 2 weeks ago regarding a product inquiry I had. Nonetheless, I hold no ill will towards anyone. That being said, I will honor Paul's wishes not to conduct business at Motomarket and certainly understand his position. Within 2 weeks we will have a website detailing Rhino Body Armor products in complete detail. Regarding product testing, we have focused more stringently on this that any other body armor company. ANSI serves to establish standards in industry, they do not conduct specific product testing and evaluation. We have spoken with ANSI regarding membership, which is similar to joining any trade organization. There are literally dozens of safety organizations. In fact, ASTM sets the most stringent standards regarding impact protection and yes, I have spoken directly to the board director who oversees the standard most applicable to our products. As it turns out, he works for the substrate manufacturer and this was one reason we selected this particular substrate. ISO 9001 is another good standard, specifying material quality, although it too is fairly generic. All Rhino Body Armor materials have received ISO 9001 acceptance. Anyway, not to knock competitors, but none of them even so much as provides one line of material data. We will dedicate a section of our website to materials testing and technical data. You can judge for yourself what you want to wear. Prior to selling through any dealer or distributor the body armor will be offered at a discount to any club member. I have already allocated financial resources for product advertising, marketing and public relations and will continue to do so regardless of cost. Thanks again to everyone for all of your support. I hope I can make your riding safer and will continually strive to provide the most technologically advanced products possible.

Last edited by Chuck; 06-26-02 at 10:55 PM.
    2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
    2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - lemon - repurchased by Ducati
    2002 Ducati 998S Bostrom - sold

RHINO Body Armor

It irritates the shit outta me too! But if he DIDN'T register JUST for that one post, why not post here to clarify to everyone here why he posted that? Nor has he replied to or taken part in any other thread or topic. I'm sure if he actually took the time to explain to the members here, he wouldn't be in jeopardy now of losing so much business...

No matter how you slice it, Chuck has gotten a lot of people to go over there. How many rides has he lead from there? And how much $$ have people spent there that he alone has introduced to MM? I woulda thought that being the business man he is, Paul woulda recognized this and tackled this whole issue a bit more tactfully...

I understand Paul's desire to make sure that no one steps on his supplier's toes. And I have no quables with that. I just think he coulda handled it better. Paul?

Re: Re: Rhino armor

Originally posted by silent1
    And we all know how powerful the word of mouth can be.
    As well as an internet presence...

RHINO Body Armor

Paul Conely has every right to distance his business from Chuck's. And in light of Chuck's propensity for litigious games, it may not be all that bad of an idea for Paul to set some ground rules.

RHINO Body Armor

Hmmm...registered for 3 months, and NOW you find it the right time to post. Yeah, okay...

As I said (two posts above yours)...I understand Paul's desire to make sure that no one steps on his supplier's toes. And I have no quables with that. I just think he coulda handled it better.

And...No matter how you slice it, Chuck has gotten a lot of people to go over there. How many rides has he lead from there? And how much $$ have people spent there that he alone has introduced to MM? I woulda thought that being the business man he is, Paul woulda recognized this and tackled this whole issue a bit more tactfully...

RHINO Body Armor

Hmmm...registered for 3 months, and NOW you find it the right time to post. Yeah, okay...

Some of us choose not to blather incessantly with thousands of posts.

As I said (two posts above yours)...I understand Paul's desire to make sure that no one steps on his supplier's toes. And I have no quables with that. I just think he coulda handled it better.

Rhino Armor took this public forum to announce the release of their product and that is was going to be done at MM, I see no reason why Paul shouldn't have used this forum to set the record straight that he is in no way affiliated with Rhino. And for christsake don't you think it was pretty ballsy of Chuck to set up shop right in MM parking lot?

RHINO Body Armor

Whoa and pass the midol, please.

RHINO Body Armor

Originally posted by Stoneman
    I understand Paul's desire to make sure that no one steps on his supplier's toes. And I have no quables with that. I just think he coulda handled it better. Paul?
    Just in case I haven't been clear...

RHINO Body Armor

Here's my two cents,

You all sound like a bunch of whining children. First of all there is already protective gear available for professional riders that protect them in the event of a crash. But then again, the PROFESSIONALS do it where they are suppose to.........on a track. They don’t have to worry about gravel, sand, innocent by standers, or slamming into a tree. Chucks body armor does nothing for another human life if they encounter a person traveling at the rate that Chuck seems to enjoy on public.......yes I said PUBLIC roads. Think about it.

Many of the products at MM and other distributors offer adequate protection for typical Sportbike riding.

Chuck forgot one important piece of the body. YOUR HEAD! Significant head trauma still occurs even though one is still utilizing DOT-SNELL approved headgear. The body is no good without the brain. If you have any doubts, check out the "bad news" thread at SRNE in the upcoming rides and events. I had the pleasure of riding with Mike.

The truth sucks I know. So flame away.

FireBallF4i

RHINO Body Armor

Is there a point to that post?

RHINO Body Armor

Yep, there is a point to my post.

Later man.

Last edited by Wayne-o; 06-29-02 at 08:21 PM.

Post wow its a compliment

these fuckers r advertising on your fucking site congrats jc & stoneman. i dont care what there selling as far as that goes ?????? is it any good ?????? stick it up your ass good things wont hurt you . cheap bastage i got old feetball shit i use freebees i'll take tho ;-))) bawaha fucking charge um if they got no freebees tighter then me bastages lmfao

Last edited by beet; 06-29-02 at 08:38 PM.
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

RHINO Body Armor

Would someone translate the above post to English or French or Spanish for me?

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

RHINO Body Armor

Originally posted by FireBallF4i
    Yep, there is a point to my post.

Later man.
    Hey, shithead. Bringing Mike's tragic event into a thread that is introducing a new SAFETY product for motorcyclists is assinine and pointless...

And for those who STILL don't get it. No one here begrudges Paul for what he's saying. Even though we've been saying that, morons like you still don't seem to understand that. It coulda been handled much more tactfully than it was...

Not that it needs saying anyway. But this issue has been resolved with Paul privately. Which makes you sound like even a bigger idiot...

RHINO Body Armor

Stoneman,

I expected you to respond in the manner you did. Your intellect shines ever so brightly. The level of conversation at this web site is one of the reasons I don’t come here so often.

FireBallF4i

....................... PinHead's Avatar

RHINO Body Armor

So, why come?

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

RHINO Body Armor

Originally posted by PinHead
    So, why come?
    I have faith in the fact that there is always hope for the hopeless.

RHINO Body Armor

Originally posted by FireBallF4i
    Stoneman,

I expected you to respond in the manner you did. Your intellect shines ever so brightly. The level of conversation at this web site is one of the reasons I don’t come here so often.

FireBallF4i
    That's it! I'm tellin' my mom...

....................... PinHead's Avatar

RHINO Body Armor

I have faith in the fact that there is always hope for the hopeless.
    Is this the hope you are looking for?

Well back to the original point of this post.

I myself have never worn any riding pants and knowone here has given' me too much shit about it. But I have seen the scars on Stonemans pants from when he did a bit of pavement sliding. You could say that seeing is beliving and I have been looking into getting myself a pair of pants since. I would like to see the finished product that Chuck is involved in and posibly purchace a pair for myself.
    Ed

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

RHINO Body Armor

I don't believe they're pants, or clothing really. It's more like body armor, I believe. Something to wear under your gear. There are similar products out there already, Chuck just reinvented the wheel I guess...

I'm definitely interested in checking this out once they're available. If ya need a place to debut them Chuck, I'll offer up The Crib. Just about everyone here knows how to get here, and I'm sure you could muster up quite the crowd given the recent activities with this thread...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast