Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

State of RI ruins a road

State of RI ruins a road

Arcadia Road. Not a long road (hey its RI), but a very good couple miles of bike riding. Well the state tar snaked a road that we didn't feel had any need for filling. The snakes are new so squirmy and I can handle that but the basically made it look like spider web. I had to ride a corner the other day with my foot on the ground as the bike was sliding around so much. Oh and that was at about 20 mph. I think I was holding up car traffic. Thing I will reach out to my AMA rep on this or the state. At least put up a sign warning riders.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Re: State of RI ruins a road

Same kinda thing happened to Oak Hill Rd in Concord, NH. Was one of my fun routes home... still a good time, but the amount of tar snake patches kinda ruined it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Is that rt165?

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

Off 165 near route 3. Talked to detail cop there today. He said even car was squirming in the corner. I struggled to be stable at 17 mph this morning.

Hypertarded

I was so fucking pissed when I ran into them doing the 1st section of the road last week, I was trying to come up with ways to sabotage the process They have really fucked the whole road up, the amount & thickness of the snakes they put down is asinine, no way to even pick a clean line. Never mind how bad it is on the bike, my car goes thumping down the road wiggling back & forth

As an aside, i'm curious what this costs the state as I was watching them work, there were 4 guys "pretending" to move cones around as they acted out what I assume were football moves from the weekends games, doing absolutely ZERO work.

SO FUCKING PISSED!!!!! As you may have assumed I drive this road daily

It is one of the best parts of my commute. The 90 degree or so right hander at KG Ranch road is a death sentence. A riding friend of mine lives on KG and he said that road is a mess and here they are tar snaking this road as you said with such thickness and all over the place.

Yeah one guy using a blower, a couple moving cones, and one putting in the goop. IMHO it is more treacherous than when they mill the pavement at least that pavement doesn't move around under your tires.

2013 ZX6R-636

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

The pixie dust they usually sprinkle over the tar snakes to keep them from sticking to peoples tires is deadly on a bike. They did the tar snakes in the lot at work and even walking on the pixie dust was treacherous.

Official answer from state:

Government Affairs has reviewed Mr. Bishop’s email and met with the RIDOT Construction Management Office. Recently, 5.2 miles of Arcadia Road was inspected and sealed where necessary, as part of the Statewide Crack Sealing contract. This roadway is in our TIP 10-year plan for a complete repaving job; but it is still several years out. It is important to remember that all cities and towns can review their plan yearly, and work with Statewide and RIDOT Planning if they feel changes should be made.

This is the first time we have been contacted regarding the issue of motorcycle safety and crack sealing. The immediate resolution is to have the RIDOT Resident Engineer contact the contractor and request the placement of signs stating: Motor Cycles Use Caution at each end of the project area. It will take approximately one week to order and place signs.

In closing, we thank you for bringing your constituent’s concern to RIDOT’s attention. Often, it is from our friends’, family and neighbors’ experiences on our roadways that we learn valuable lessons and use them to make our roadways safer for all who travel them. Please let me know if you will share this information with Mr. Bishop; or prefer that we contact him. Thank you and have a nice day.

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    It is one of the best parts of my commute. The 90 degree or so right hander at KG Ranch road is a death sentence. A riding friend of mine lives on KG and he said that road is a mess and here they are tar snaking this road as you said with such thickness and all over the place.

Yeah one guy using a blower, a couple moving cones, and one putting in the goop. IMHO it is more treacherous than when they mill the pavement at least that pavement doesn't move around under your tires.
    It previously made the start & end of every ride a "good" ride! Used to be able to duck under the bush on the 90 KG ranch turn, tonight was practically 90 degrees upright going thru at 1/2 normal pace KG ranch SUCKS, I only ride 100 feet of KG, from Cherry hill to get to the dirt road that cuts thru to Rt3 on my KTM. Does your friend ride a BMW SS1K?? I walk my dogs on the dirt road and a guy with a SS1K live across the street from where I park, I wave to him all the time but still have yet to actually meet/talk to him We live so close we need to get out for a ride some time

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Official answer from state:

Government Affairs has reviewed Mr. Bishop’s email and met with the RIDOT Construction Management Office. Recently, 5.2 miles of Arcadia Road was inspected and sealed where necessary, as part of the Statewide Crack Sealing contract. This roadway is in our TIP 10-year plan for a complete repaving job; but it is still several years out. It is important to remember that all cities and towns can review their plan yearly, and work with Statewide and RIDOT Planning if they feel changes should be made.

This is the first time we have been contacted regarding the issue of motorcycle safety and crack sealing. The immediate resolution is to have the RIDOT Resident Engineer contact the contractor and request the placement of signs stating: Motor Cycles Use Caution at each end of the project area. It will take approximately one week to order and place signs.

In closing, we thank you for bringing your constituent’s concern to RIDOT’s attention. Often, it is from our friends’, family and neighbors’ experiences on our roadways that we learn valuable lessons and use them to make our roadways safer for all who travel them. Please let me know if you will share this information with Mr. Bishop; or prefer that we contact him. Thank you and have a nice day.
    Nice work!

^^ the white and blue s1000rr on KG is my friend Keith. He almost lost the front there. My friend Bill doesn't live around there but he ran wide into the grass on his S1000xr. Keith's a good guy. He mountain bikes around there too.

It will get worse before it gets better. They did the same thing to 94 in Foster, and 12 in Scituate. After the crack sealing sets for a couple weeks, they come back and top coat the entire road with oil and stone.

After living on dirt roads for the past 10 years, I'd welcome any improvement at all, even if there was a short term inconvenience.

Yamaha

Well we have signs now warning motorcyclists. Road is still horrible in the corners but at least it warns those who are unsuspecting.

2013 ZX6R-636

Rhode Island tends to ruin all kinds of roads. I hit up 165 the other day before the signs were up and literally slid from near the yellow almost all the way to the shoulder. Was in a lean, but thankfully wasn't going all that fast. I was pissed. Another place they do this is Most of the major roads in general. I road cycle and rt. 1a was one of my favorite roads to ride on in the summer, as well as parts of 2, but they insist on using pellet gravel to fill pot holes with. Of course the natural place for those pellets to go is directly into the "bike lane" but before they do that, it stays soft, so it's just as dangerous for our motos.

Coming from Maine/NH, the road quality here leaves a LOT to be desired.

Sorry for the rant, but it feels good to get that off my chest to people that get it.

Hypertarded

They tar snaked the hell out of Rte 102 in Exeter/NK from Rte3 down to Rte2 last week/this week. Not that fun of a riding road(heavy cop patrols, staties), but still sucks. Got stuck behind the trucks Monday in the car, smokey & stinky, magic dust spraying up all over the car