Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Early Ride: 2008 Buell 1125R

Being very fortunate I was able to spend a day on the track riding the 2008 Buell 1125R.

Buell has put together a new Track Day program and travelling around the country allowing anyone to show up with any bike and participate in track days at some of the best tracks in the country. For 150 bucks you get a Track Day with a fleet of Demo Buells to ride if you like, lunch, free photos riding coaches [free] and, as of the last 2 Track Days [entitled Inside Pass] the only bike they have been bringing to ride are the pre production 1125R's!

My impression: Find the cash. I do not consider myself a brilliant rider but I think this bike is an awsome platform. For years Buell has given us incredible new technologies including and until most importantly a suspension that almost knows where you want to put it. The same holds true for the 1125 but this year they finally got a motor that can perform.

- The torque gets to about 77 by 4000 rpms and stays pretty much flat from there and peaking at I believe it was 82 ft#'s around 8k. This translated really well on the track where on corner exits a light flick of the wrist shot me into the next hard and fast.

- Braking as with past Buells is phenominal. The ZTL2 system has been updated with 8 piston calipers used on the track only XBRR. IN the bike rundown before I got on it they advised me to use 2 fingers only. I heeded this advice - glad I did because the brakes are hurculean.

- 5.6 gallon tank, The ergos are friendly, The pedals are adjustable both up and down and forward and back, Dry Weight 424 lbs., and alarm system standard, Onboard Diagnostics, beefy 47mm Showa forks, Pirelli dual compopund tires standard - which I rode hard all day and they never let me down [Corsa III I believe]

Like I said. Buy one. I work in American Manufacturing and wanted to buy an American bike for a while. This is the one I've waited for. I still need to figure out how to put together that much cash but it has become a goal for me. I'm not a motorcycling god. Frankly I'm pretty average. There were people not attached to buell riding japanese bikes who to a man said they love the bike.

If you have any questions I'll do what I can to answer them. Once I figure out how to download pictures from my phone I'll post the.

Kev

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

i think i'll 100% love it when there's a naked version. the faired version is too funky looking.

Thats awesome you actually got to ride one! I'm sure you're not the only one thats been waiting for a competitive American sportbike, I know I sure have, not that ill be able to afford one anytime soon.

Whats that about a stock alarm?

I like Buells

CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Quote Originally Posted by bump909 View Post
    i think i'll 100% love it when there's a naked version. the faired version is too funky looking.

Big problem there. The two big 'ole cowls are actually aerodynamically tuned radiator housings. They are integral to the bike functioning properly. Aerodynamically and cooling wise that is

Last edited by nixoid; 09-17-07 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Add more specific info. [to clearify]

Quote Originally Posted by elwood206 View Post
    Thats awesome you actually got to ride one! I'm sure you're not the only one thats been waiting for a competitive American sportbike, I know I sure have, not that ill be able to afford one anytime soon.

Whats that about a stock alarm?

Dude... anyone who goes to their track days can ride them. chec out the Inside Pass link in my first post.

By stoc alarm I mean it has an alarm system built in. I don't know more than that other than there are 3 settings. Off, On every time you turn off the bike, or every time you shut it off you have the option to arm or not. They had the buikes set up for the track so most of the instruments were covered [except the tach]

sweet

CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Pics as promised

Shot with a camera phone... not great.

i don't like how the upper fairing sticks forward so much, and the side scoop things look like they are passenger compartments

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

Kevin you coming out to VIR, Willow Springs, Mid-Ohio, or Laguna for that? I'll be at 3 of 4 of those.

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Kevin you coming out to VIR, Willow Springs, Mid-Ohio, or Laguna for that? I'll be at 3 of 4 of those.
    I was at the VIR one last week. Was hoping to run into you there. Was a good time. I know Ducati owns your a$$ and you can't but you will love the 1125R.

I am trying to get to the other ones. There has been some talk of the Streets of Willow but I doubt I'll make it in the long run. I'll PM you if that happens though.

K$

ps: are you near any of those tracks? Would you be able to put me up for any of them? It may help get me there.

Last edited by nixoid; 09-18-07 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Forgot a question.

Damn VIR already happened? Goes to show the black hole I've been living in with our Dealer Meeting (which just ended.. yay!!).

Nah I look forward to trying the new Buell, gotta see what the competition is up too

Boston --> San Diego

Yeah I heard they shut down the track very early with all the dealers wadding up their bikes....

Maybe PTT should have run that gig. You should suggest them for the next rollout.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

yeah, I will be looking into of of these as well as other twins for my next bike in the spring.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

You do realize a certain buell afficianado would have you killed if you bought one of these?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by nixoid View Post
    Yeah I heard they shut down the track very early with all the dealers wadding up their bikes....

Maybe PTT should have run that gig. You should suggest them for the next rollout.

They? No me. I shut it down about 35 minutes early. We got behind schedule and I wanted to keep everyone even.

The dealers only binned 4 bikes, 3 of them easy lowsides, which isn't bad due to it being Laguna Seca.

Boston --> San Diego

They are in this months Motorcyclist magazine.

Been getting rave reviews everywhere.

I am going to wait till the kinks are out and maybe consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by nixoid View Post
    Shot with a camera phone... not great.
    I heard that once the tour of demo rides is over they're all headed for the crusher

Quote Originally Posted by CMG41 View Post
    I heard that once the tour of demo rides is over they're all headed for the crusher
    Had a chat with the Engineer who runs the testing department over at Buell and he confirmed that most of them will end up being crushed. one or two will be put in the archives and a few will be reconfigured for further testing...

Seems a shame. The treated me quite well.