Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I want to ride some bikes

I want to ride some bikes

Taking a page directly out of Stoneman's book, I am looking to ride some of you guys' bikes. We have been looking for a new bike for Rob, and in the meantime he has been commuting occasionally on my SV. I have toyed with getting a new bike for a few years, but haven't found anything I like enough to justify replacing her. But, he suggested we try to get me a new bike, and he ride the SV until he gets a new one. It is my turn for a new bike after all

Anyway, problem stands that I don't know what I want. So I want to test ride a bunch of yours. I am not completely writing off I-4s, but I really like my V-Twin for power distribution and slenderness of machine (I am 5'6" with a 31" inseam, so the narrower the bike, the more comfy I tend to be). I am also intrigued by triples, as I think they might be a good compromise between the torquey feel that I like and the smoothness of an I-4 (but I really don't know, as I have never ridden one). I'd prefer something faired, but am open to streetfighter-style nakeds (I really don't like the round cruiser-style headlight of the SV-N). I like the seating position of my SV, and also the mid 2000s GSXRs, and I found myself pretty comfortable on the new Kawi 636. I am not a fan of true "standards" (SV-N, FZ6, etc) as they hurt my lower back after a while. We are trying to keep costs down, so we're not looking to buy new, probably 5-10 years old.

I'm open to suggestions (and offers), but want to try:

Triumph Speed Triple/Daytona 675
    GSXR 750
    Kawi ZX6 and/or ZX10
    Kawi Z1000
    Aprilia Tuono/RSV4
    Suzuki TL1000R
    Bennelli Cafe Racer (ha, if someone has this and is willing to let me ride it, you might not get it back)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Re: I want to ride some bikes

You should try a Rex.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

ive got a crossplane r1 that you sounds like is right up your alley. they can be had for pretty cheap but may not be cheap enough for you. i also have an 01 gsxr 750 you can try out too.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Your welcome to try out my 09. Just bear in mind you break you buy obviously lol. That said the place it really shines is turns. Leaned over it soaks up bumps like nothing and just tracks true. Its pretty new and totally stock other than a slip on so it should be a good representation for you. And they can be had for the 5 to 6 range if your patient.

What are you looking for? Track toy, fun street, commuter? I deffinately find I ride less with this bike over my 95, its just not as comfortable. Although I think a seat would fix that.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 08-08-13 at 08:38 AM.
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

How about a bunch of suggestions on bikes you'd NEVER be remotely interested in?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    What are you looking for? Track toy, fun street, commuter? I definitely find I ride less with this bike over my 95, its just not as comfortable. Although I think a seat would fix that.
    Yes. Primarily a streetbike (50-200 mile rides are most likely to happen). I don't commute much due to being on daycare duty 4 out of 5 days per week, and I would probably end up taking it to the track next year. Basically, I'm looking for the perfect bike. I found it in my SV, and I'm hoping to get lucky enough to find another bike I love for 8 years.

Clayton, tell me more about this Rex you speak of.

I should probably also mention that, like Stoneman, I don't want to travel far to try these, so if we could meet somewhere, or you come to me, that would be perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    How about a bunch of suggestions on bikes you'd NEVER be remotely interested in?
    Perfect!

All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!

I have a TL-R you can try, if you're interested shoot me a PM.

07 S4RS

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...mph-Speed-Four

(Despite what the ad says, you could ride it, but it is in Southwick)

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...mph-Speed-Four

(Despite what the ad says, you could ride it, but it is in Southwick)
    interesting....how does the speed 4 compare to the 3? it also looks pretty upright. is that the angle of the shot, or is it a standard?

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Id be willing to let you try out my 07 ZX6

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

I've had my Rex going on 9 years now. Still makes me smile.

I'm 10 minutes from where you work, so you can come to me. Try that out, the Vmax, and the Wee just for shits and grins

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I don't own a bike on your wish list but let me know if you have a dock that needs repair or trees that need to be cut down.

It's not on your list but you can try my BMW FS800 ST anytime you want. I love it. comparable bikes listed at 2wind are about $8000.00

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

you are always welcomed to ride my GSXR 1000

You can ride my bike anytime

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    interesting....how does the speed 4 compare to the 3? it also looks pretty upright. is that the angle of the shot, or is it a standard?
    The upright look is kindof a combination of the angle of the shot and the bar conversion kit that is on the bike in that pic...it has the stock (lower, cliponish) bars on it now. I will try to post a picture of how it looks now below (need to change devices to where the pic is). It IS nice to be able to swap back and forth between the two fairly different riding positions easily. That bar conversion kit from LSL cost me $300 and is included. Takes less than an hour to swap between the two, using same cables.

Comparing the speed 4 to the SPEED triple is a huge difference...modern speed triples are 1050cc vs 600 in the speed four. The STREET triple though, is a 675, and closer in performance and feel. I rode one recently and was actually surprised at how similar it felt to the speed four. Street triple has more low end grunt and some more power overall; speed four is pleasant and predictable for cruising around, and will scream/fly like all inline 4 600s at much higher rpms.

Good points about the speed four: I haven't seen another one on the road since I've owned it, and it seems to spark a lot of conversations when parked because not too many people have seen one; its suitable for occasional trackday use, and I did two trackdays on it when I was in red group (then I bought a dedicated track bike because I didn't want to risk the speed four. It has never been down); its a lot cheaper to buy than a used street triple; insurance rates are very low; its light and easy to maneuver; handling, for a stock bike, is extremely good; and best of all, I think it has probably depreciated most of what it ever will...in other words, if you don't crash it, you may be able to sell it down the road for what you paid for it. I like "free multi year leases" like that. The one I have is a 2006, the last year they were made.

If you notice, I haven't bumped the ad in a while...I have a bunch of bikes (7), and every time I take the speed four out, I think I will kick myself if someone grabs it, so I was just gonna hold onto it indefinitely. But I saw your post and it seemed to fit into your request for suggestions, so I threw it out there. You are welcome to ride it, even if for tire kicking/comparison purposes, if you are around the Southwick area and I still have it (only because I know your reputation from trackday/race people who have dealt with you; for anyone else I don't know, the "Mayhem" limitation still applies! (LOL))

Last edited by Imbeek; 08-08-13 at 11:39 AM.

Street Triple R with the bug eye headlights and fly screen. if you don't like the relatively high bars you can always change them. I hear there's this local company that makes clip ons and risers. you might know them.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Yes. Primarily a streetbike (50-200 mile rides are most likely to happen). I don't commute much due to being on daycare duty 4 out of 5 days per week, and I would probably end up taking it to the track next year. Basically, I'm looking for the perfect bike. I found it in my SV, and I'm hoping to get lucky enough to find another bike I love for 8 years.
    Gezus.. just keep the SV. Hard to imagine a better bike for your needs and wants..

stock bars currently on the Speed Four. It has the twin round headlights like a lot of Triumphs, and the flyscreen.

Last edited by Imbeek; 08-08-13 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Gezus.. just keep the SV. Hard to imagine a better bike for your needs and wants..
    You know how I know you're old and boring?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

if you set it up right you could make a loop through the local states and try every bike on your list. its a rare opportunity and probably worth it. other owners may want to swap bikes too.
    sounds like a good meetup idea. bunch of owners from one area can meet up and let you take your pick.

Basically everyone on this forum who has wanted to ride an SV has been offered mine, so if a trade-off is what you're after i'm sure i can accommodate. i have no qualms about loaning her out, and subscribe to the you break it you fix it philosophy. I really appreciate all the offers. I am really liking the look of that speed 4....it is different and looks super comfy. i am old enough now that i like the idea of a conversation starter, as long as it can do what i want it to. i am never near southwick, though....

bubba, i know the sv is perfect for what i want, but after 8 years it really is time to change...or at least look. this is not a set in stone deal, just curious as to what's out there that could respark my interest. i am by no means selling her.

clayton, i will be visiting you to wreak havoc in your stable soon, i'm sure. like i said, i'm on daycare duty most days, so it will take a day or so to plan with rob.

god 50 to 200 miles? lol I was complaining about comfort because I can't do the 400 days I used to. With a better seat the 6r is very doable as long as your body is in shape and used to a leaned forward stance. Also for a 600 it has a lot of low end, and I still get about 35 to 40mpg.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

A Ducati streetfighter seems like it would fit your needs. As well as a monster. The S2r and s4r are quite sporty.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    A Ducati streetfighter seems like it would fit your needs. As well as a monster. The S2r and s4r are quite sporty.
    I do like the streetfighter, just afraid I couldn't afford it. The ones I have seen for sale are more than I am willing to spend. I'm really not a fan of the monsters. Just don't like how they look. And if I don't like looking at it, I won't get it.

50-200 miles only because my daughter is 4 and I have approximately 2 free days a year. I used to do 400+mile days with regularity pre-kiddo. Just can't justify losing time with her when I have so little of it lately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast