Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ride routes & travel times to Montreal (from RI or N. Woodstock NH)

I am planning to make a trip on 5/18 or 5/19 up to Montreal for my brother's bachelor party. I figured rather than riding in a van full of puking guys I could make a motorcycle trip out of it.

Probably would slab up from RI the night beofre then leave in AM out of N. Woostock NH as the ride would be shorter (rearsets + achey knees = ouch)

Any suggestions for a route & travel times would be appreciated. Looking for something fun, but would like to be able to leave by 9AM and arrive by 3PM (from NH that is)

Any suggestions for good places to hit during a bachelor party would also be appreciated

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

If you are interested, I'd suggest you leave RI and head towards NY state, to go across the Adirondack Mountains Park. It is gorgeous. Route 87 will bring you straight to Montreal.

Website where you can get plenty of infos for Montreal nightlife including hotels, restaurants, night clubs, sports events (races, etc.) : Montreal Nightlife VIP Montreal Bachelor Party - Montreal VIP

Bachelor party....go here --> Chez Parée
    It's one of the #1 rated Gentlemen Club in Montreal. Dress appropriately, or they won't let you in. (meaning, dress nicely...ties & jackets/blazers are not necessary, but don't go there wearing a t-shirt with jeans either)

This one could be very interesting and out of the ordinary as far as strip club: Kingdom Gentleman's Club (right downtown Mtl too!)

Last edited by MissTwisties; 05-02-07 at 03:35 PM.
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

from North Woodstock, quickest route is I-93 to I-91 I recommend getting off 91 and going thru downtown Derby Line crossing rather than the one on the highway, while you never know what they will detain you for, it seems that the downtown crossing is less of a hassle .

once across the frontier, get back on the highway autoroute 55 and take that north to Magog, then take autoroute 10 west to Montréal

Can't tell you the hot spots anymore, it's been 35 years or more since I used to go there for nightlife (my college days) but there was a club on Redpath, but I don't remember the name

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    from North Woodstock, quickest route is I-93 to I-91 I recommend getting off 91 and going thru downtown Derby Line crossing rather than the one on the highway, while you never know what they will detain you for, it seems that the downtown crossing is less of a hassle .

once across the frontier, get back on the highway autoroute 55 and take that north to Magog, then take autoroute 10 west to Montréal

Can't tell you the hot spots anymore, it's been 35 years or more since I used to go there for nightlife (my college days) but there was a club on Redpath, but I don't remember the name
    Randy - is this route pure highway? I am looking to have some backroads fun, but not sure if it's one of those all highway or all backroads type of situations....?

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Quote Originally Posted by ancosta View Post
    Randy - is this route pure highway? I am looking to have some backroads fun, but not sure if it's one of those all highway or all backroads type of situations....?
    yep, it's pure highway

you won't find many good roads north of the border, Quebec's eastern township roads are straight as an arrow, prolly best roads you will find are in Vermont, maybe zig along Rt 100 and take in the notches as you work your way back south

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Send me a PM, I have some good routes for you that I can send you when I get home-- Be prepared though, once you get north of the boarder, back roads suck!

--HBerry

LRRS# 285 - Retired
    04 ZX-6R
    88 EX500 - Broke

What a great time...!

The trip was great....

Trucked it up from RI to N. Woodstock given the weather was iffy and I was not down for 10 roundtrip hours of backroad rain riding. Given the chances were at least 50/50 of beating the major rain, I opted to and make a go of it on 2 wheels.

My route was:
    112 to 118
    118 to 25, onto 25c/25
    Picked up 302 off 25 into Barre VT
    slab ride up 89 through Burlington
    Picked up route 2 through the islands of Lake Champlain
    Bang a left in Alburg, into NY
    Picked up 15 at the border and highway into downtown Montreal

There are so many natural and man-made oddities on Route 25 that was worth the ride alone (lime green pimped 70's chevette on 13's anyone? A house with 300+ birdhouses in the front yard, gigantic iron sculptures made out of junk, a rotten, toppling grain silo with a 'silo for sale' sign on it)

Best feeling: Taking a right (away from highway and towards twisties) to go to another country...and making it there using directions written on a Post-it note

Worst feeling: My first crash. Don't let them fool you, the garage floor at Novotel in Montreal is in fact semi polished concrete and quite dusty to boot. I forget if I went down with the bike, or if I wobbled off it as it went down. It happens *that* fast at 3mph. I need to work on picking up my bike, it was more work to right it then it was to wrong it.

Montreal is an amazing city. It felt like I rode to Europe once I got there. The people were nice, the food was good, the clubs were great, the women...the women! Bringing the bike was perfect as it was a great way to get around and take in the city sights during the day.

The weather was deceptively nice for the whole trip, if not a bit nipply. The final 40 miles of backroads going home were quite rainy though. Riding in a downpour up and down twisty mountain roads with 3" sand filled cracks and frost heaves is one definition of 'riding smooth'.

Now to wash the SV...its starting to look like I went to Montreal via Southwick...!

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Shoulda hit me up.................

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    Shoulda hit me up.................
    I will next time...! I hope to go back to Montreal very soon, perhaps with my better half on a rented 'wing.

Other than that I am totally down for a day's riding heading out to VT from N. Woodstock.

Kind of has me thinking - why bother having my bike in RI/MA, I would be better served to leave it up there and actually RIDE vs. loaf through traffic. If I can get this old 250 Yamaha going, I may do just that and leave the junker here to putt around on.

Amazing how 5h of twisties and my knees hurt less than 70 minutes of crouched over slabbing on I95 between RI and Salem.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650