Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Track Day with plugged tire - who's done it?

OK, this weekend started off kinda piss poor because I went out to the bike only to find the rear tire totally flat with a nail in it. I musta picked it up on the ride home from work on Friday. In any case, its plugged now (second plug in this tire). I do remember some discussion a while back about doing track days with a plugged tire, and I am just curious if anyone actually went ahead and just did the trackday on a plugged tire. I am not necessarily going to do it, but I might not be able to afford a new rear tire before the 14th... so, who knows.

So who's done a trackday with a plugged tire?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

I Dance With Will

ill let you use my rear tire if you loan me a front stand. it's a dunlop 208, i think, size 180. it's on the bike and been sitting in the garage for about a yr.

Last edited by Kham; 09-05-04 at 06:52 PM.
    "fuckit!"

I would not suggest riding the track with a plug. Find yourself a set of race take off cheap or replace the rear and save the plugged for a spare, or burn it off!!!

I have ridden hard on the street with a plug, but would never do it on the track where the tire will see a lot of heat all day long with lots of high tire pressures!!!

BTW Nice ta see ya Thursday @ MM.

Mike

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

I would not..

"its plugged now (second plug in this tire). "

I had the same problem as you before the last trackday...found my tire with a hole..plugged it...and thought about the upcoming Trackday.....my feelings..1 plug is borderline..2 plugs..I would not.....

Order your tire from a cheap source online..(Dave @ Motorace)..and take it to Jim P. (see Tire Changing thread) to mount on your way to the track...that is what I did....cheapest way unless you do it yourself.

Lyle

Last edited by Pearldog; 09-06-04 at 07:57 AM.

i would never ride a plugged tire on the track, or for that matter ride it at any high speed. the results of the tire plug flying out at 100+ miles an hour would be a disaster. you would wreck BAD.

Ridden on a plug to about 178 MPH, no leak, done track day on a plug, no leak. Oh yeah a friends also done a trackday on a plug, no leak! But if you can come up with about $70 you can get a rear takeoff mounted and balanced, so it's up to you, if you have the $$ I'd do it, better safe that sorry! I'd give you a takeoff but I'm guessing it would be a bit too wide unless your on a 12.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Originally posted by FOX
    i would never ride a plugged tire on the track, or for that matter ride it at any high speed. the results of the tire plug flying out at 100+ miles an hour would be a disaster. you would wreck BAD.
    I don't understand, if the plug comes out at 100 mph, why will you wreck? I think you would be more likley to say ... hmmm my tire feels soft, I'd better pull into the pits on the next lap and check my air pressure"

the only people who crash from flat tires are people who panic when something feels different.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

I did a track day earlier this year w/ a plugged rear.

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

It is just a possiblity that it can come out. Some people have done it with no problem. But if you lose the plug right before you enter the curve and it goes flat as you enter the curve you are done.

LRRS/CCS #669

Originally posted by bemused
    I did a track day earlier this year w/ a plugged rear.
    Eh Jeff I think they are talking about tires not body parts

eat me

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

I found a nail in the rear just before the track day I attended, replaced the tire, ran it in at the track. Saved the other tire for a street spare.

Worth the money not to have the thought in the back of head "is this plug going to fail" when your out there getting ready to brake in the front straight at about 120 mph heading for turn 1.

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

Originally posted by jersey_devil_68
    It is just a possiblity that it can come out. Some people have done it with no problem. But if you lose the plug right before you enter the curve and it goes flat as you enter the curve you are done.

Why are you done ? I don't get it where to fuck do people get the idea that is you loose a little air out of your tire, even a lot of air out of your tire, that the tire immediatly blows apart and rips to shreds leaving you trying to continue on thru the corner on a rim.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

no kidding, if the plug comes out then the air comes out, it not likr the plug is holding the threads together??? If you run a bit with no air the tire tire will fal off(bread break) but the would be 1/2 mile or more....

Thanks for the responses guys. I 'might' have enough cash come track day to pick up set of race take offs for the day, but as of right now, with all the money I have spent to make sure I have the proper gear, that doesn't seem too terribly likely...

Also given that this is my first track day, I doubt that on the top of my list of nagging doubts will be "will this tire hold", its more likely to be "am i insane?!?"

Good to know a few of you have gone ahead and done the trackday on a plugged tire. I beat the piss out of the tire around a certain rotary for about 15 minutes and it held up fine... If I have the cash come trackday i'll get the new tire, but I think I'll just ride on it.

I've had enough tires go on me at high speed to know what it feels like, so that doesn't worry me so much... Especially since this is my first track day and I am unlikely to be taking turns and scraping body parts,. In other words I highly doubt I will be pushing vastly harder or longer than I do when I ride on the street.

Thanks,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Originally posted by hohum
    Especially since this is my first track day and I am unlikely to be taking turns and scraping body parts,. In other words I highly doubt I will be pushing vastly harder or longer than I do when I ride on the street.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Not to highjack the thread, but you'll be surprised how far and hard you push it even with it being the first track day.

Now back to our regularly scheduled debate........

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

There's air in the garages, and I'll have plugs! Just in case!

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200