Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Recommendation for Bluetooth in-ear headphones?

rides bikes

Recommendation for Bluetooth in-ear headphones?

I currently use the wired Apple headphones while I'm riding (I know, I know - no lecture necessary) and actually really like them. But as anybody using newer Apple products can understand, I need to get on the Bluetooth bandwagon.

There are a zillion options available at any price point you can imagine; anybody have any favorites? My requirements are simple: fit under a tight helmet, and have reachable controls (ideally volume, play/pause/skip). I'll pay up for good ones, but most of the in-ear headphones I've tried (besides Apple) tend to fall out.

I'd like to jump to a Sena, but I switch between several helmets depending on the weather, bike, and ride, so that's a little too permanent for me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Recommendation for Bluetooth in-ear headphones?

I have Bose bluetooth, ones that are connected by a wire to each other. They are bulky, I can't imagine them under a helmet. Sound really good though.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Cat herder

Currently I use the Plugfones Liberate headset. Does a very good job of isolation, which is important to me. My helmet's lining has removable bits at the ears to make room for speakers and with those out, the headset does not impinge painfully on my ear. Can't speak to audio quality... decades of abuse has left me with crap hearing so I don't care about the nuances as long as I can hear stuff.

Controls and battery are contained in the usual collection of tiny boxes strung along the cord. Works well.

Another alternative is to just get a clip-on Bluetooth receiver and use your wired earbuds. This is what I did before I got the Plugfones. There are many... the one I have is the OT-Adapt from Outdoor Tech but there's nothing special about it. The pro is that you can continue to use your earbuds. The con is that finding a place for it can be a bit fiddly... depends on your gear and the bike you ride.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

i have problems with the over the ear bluetooth ear buds cause they are not really adjustable and my ears are small...like this pair that i use for at my desk at work...
    Amazon.com: Mpow Flame Bluetooth Headphones Waterproof IPX7, Wireless Earbuds Sport, Richer Bass HiFi Stereo in-Ear Earphones w/Mic, Case, 7-9 Hrs Playback Noise Cancelling Headsets (Comfy & Fast Pairing): Cell Phones & Accessories

i bought these and they stay put, are adjustable to different ears, seal very well, and the earbuds are magnetic so you can put them around your neck like a necklace when you don't want to listen to them...but they also may stick out too far for a helmet and the controls may interfere with the ear pads, not sure...
    Amazon.com: TaoTronics Bluetooth Headphones, Sweatproof Wireless in Ear Earbuds, Sports Magnetic Earphones with Built in Mic (IPX6 Waterproof, aptX Stereo, 7 Hours Playtime, CVC 6.0 Noise Cancelling Microphone): Cell Phones & Accessories

maybe you should look at the ones that have the neck band with the 2 wires up to your earbuds so the controls will be more accessible and maybe the earbud portion won't stick out so far

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 12-17-18 at 03:19 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

rides bikes

Thanks! I'm definitely assuming I'll get the ones that are corded together (as opposed to the really stupid Apple ones that are gaining popularity). That's mostly because I wanted the controls on the cord. Just looking at pictures, it seems like the controls are too close to the earbud on many of them. It'd be great if it was centered, or near center.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    Another alternative is to just get a clip-on Bluetooth receiver and use your wired earbuds. This is what I did before I got the Plugfones. There are many... the one I have is the OT-Adapt from Outdoor Tech but there's nothing special about it. The pro is that you can continue to use your earbuds. The con is that finding a place for it can be a bit fiddly... depends on your gear and the bike you ride.
    I actually bought one of these with really high hopes and it was DOA. I should re-evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    Thanks! I'm definitely assuming I'll get the ones that are corded together (as opposed to the really stupid Apple ones that are gaining popularity). That's mostly because I wanted the controls on the cord. Just looking at pictures, it seems like the controls are too close to the earbud on many of them. It'd be great if it was centered, or near center.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually bought one of these with really high hopes and it was DOA. I should re-evaluate.

i have this bluetooth receiver/transmitter which works well...didn't even think to suggest it...i put a 3.5mm splitter on my tv soundbar wire and use it as a transmitter from my tv to a pair of over the ear bluetooth headphones...works great...
    Amazon.com: TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, 2-in-1 Wireless 3.5mm Adapter (aptX Low Latency, 2 Devices Simultaneously, For TV/Home Sound System): Electronics

Last edited by Point37; 12-17-18 at 03:41 PM.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i have this bluetooth receiver/transmitter which works well...didn't even think to suggest it...i put a 3.5mm splitter on my tv soundbar wire and use it as a transmitter from my tv to a pair of over the ear bluetooth headphones...works great...
    Amazon.com: TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, 2-in-1 Wireless 3.5mm Adapter (aptX Low Latency, 2 Devices Simultaneously, For TV/Home Sound System): Electronics
    That's actually perfect for another application I need - my home sound system.

used these over the ear noise cancelling headphones...sound awesome considering they aren't anything expensive and high end like bose...yea i just pull that transmitter off when i want to use it for something else

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones, Over Ear Wireless Headset, Dual 40 mm Drivers with Powerful Bass (30 Hour Playtime, CVC 6.0 Noise-Cancelling Mic, High Clarity Sound): Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited by Point37; 12-17-18 at 03:57 PM.

Just bought Klipsch R6 neckband headphone on closeout. But my kids are giving them to me for Xmas so no reviews yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post

I'd like to jump to a Sena, but I switch between several helmets depending on the weather, bike, and ride, so that's a little too permanent for me.
    Sorry, going to be that guy...

I wear 3 different helmets and bought additional Sena mounts and just move the unit between them. The cost has been minimal when spread over the 6+ years I've been using my SMH10. I know this isn't what you're looking for but might be an option you haven't considered?

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Sorry, going to be that guy...

I wear 3 different helmets and bought additional Sena mounts and just move the unit between them. The cost has been minimal when spread over the 6+ years I've been using my SMH10. I know this isn't what you're looking for but might be an option you haven't considered?
    Don't apologize...I was looking at that before posting this. I might got that route. I have friends who absolutely swear by their Sena systems and I just don't have a ton of experience with them.

Being able to chat with friends while riding or communicate with a passenger in addition to listing to music/nav and receiving calls has been extremely worthwhile, regardless of price. I will say my dual-sport helmet doesn't have speaker pockets and positioning the speakers was a bit tricky.

I played the headphones game for years and was consistently let down. Maybe there's some better ones these days.

Lifer

The Sena is neat, but audio quality is no where near in-ear. I wear earplugs with my sena, and similar could be accomplished with just wearing in-ear bluetooth.

Finding a pair of in-ear that fit right is difficult, and only really going to be possible through some trial-n-error. Quite a few will come with different size rubber ear pieces so you can adjust to fit. But it's not a perfect system. To put a model out there, I was using the Skullcandy Method Wireless for a while. They fit my ear well, but they do seem to be a little more likely to come out compared to an earplug. I think this is an inherent problem with the wire running down the side of your head. It's slightly tugging, and the helmet is constantly moving against the wire.

I tried using headphones while riding my dirtbike, and the real problem seemed to be that once I started sweating, no in-ear plug was ever going to stay. Ever try to get a wet earplug to stay in? It doesn't work. A wet, waxy surface offers zero grip. Not really a typical use case for the road though unless it's really hot out or you sweat easily. I'm still watching for a company who makes a 'neckless' type headphone that has over-the-ear loops on the headphones. Far as I can tell, these don't exist.

Last edited by aldend123; 12-17-18 at 06:20 PM.
    nedirtriders.com