Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New Rider From Newton/Parking In Downtown Boston

New Rider From Newton/Parking In Downtown Boston

I took the MSF Rider Course in late April and purchased a 2012 BMW F800R the first week in May. 600 miles later I'm more confident on the highway in addition to neighborhood streets, parking lots, the ever recurring Dunkin Donuts, etc. First motorcycling/first bike. Really enjoying the experience. Learned a lot on forums like this one, YouTube and practicing (and practicing...)

Now I'm thinking of commuting to work (Summer Street close to South Station.) Should I use wheel locks in the city? I've seen a few in use, and one rider (One Financial Center) told me they slow thieves down. Made sense. People also tell me BMWs aren't high theft bikes, but it's still my bike, and I would rather error on the side of caution in a situation like this one.

Cheers,

Greg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 BMW F800R

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

Re: New Rider From Newton/Parking In Downtown Boston

Hey, welcome to riding. Fun, eh?

Lifer

Fellow Newton rider. Best way to get better is to ride daily. Nice choice of bike. I don't use any locks. I don't think bike theft here is as much of an issue as it is in Europe. Also, make sure your insurance covers accessories. I agree - I don't think an F800R is a bike someone will want to steal...not much of a black market for used parts I would say

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Welcome! Bikes do get stolen every so often, but if you're parking downtown and only during they day, you'll probably be fine. Wheel locks are fairly useless, unless you're locking it TO something, as they're easily defeated/circumvented. I generally park in the South End with steering head lock and a cover and haven't had any issues (besides tickets...)

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Quote Originally Posted by Father Ribs View Post
    Hey, welcome to riding. Fun, eh?
    Thanks - Unreal fun...years wasted driving only cars and bicycles (although the bicycle riding made me a little more aware of cars and the like.) I haven't been a 100% novice at anything in a long time (as I was at this when I went to MSF BRC.) The learning on the road and through YouTube, books, and forums like this one is great, too.

2012 BMW F800R

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Fellow Newton rider. Best way to get better is to ride daily. Nice choice of bike. I don't use any locks. I don't think bike theft here is as much of an issue as it is in Europe. Also, make sure your insurance covers accessories. I agree - I don't think an F800R is a bike someone will want to steal...not much of a black market for used parts I would say
    Thanks - very fortunate to be on this bike. I've been riding 3-4 days a week and plan to increase to 5 at least. Appreciate the pointer re insurance and accessories. Will check that tonight. The motorcycling community is definitely more supportive than the cycling community (potential for another thread...) I was told the same thing re theft, but I also don't want to make it an easy poach. I'm more concerned about some cage driver backing into it while posting on Facebook and spilling their herbal tea. I see too many cars playing touch-them-to-park-me in Boston.

2012 BMW F800R

Quote Originally Posted by SVenpointsixtwo View Post
    Welcome! Bikes do get stolen every so often, but if you're parking downtown and only during they day, you'll probably be fine. Wheel locks are fairly useless, unless you're locking it TO something, as they're easily defeated/circumvented. I generally park in the South End with steering head lock and a cover and haven't had any issues (besides tickets...)
    Thanks for the pointers re parking and locking. I see 1 out of 4 bikes covered here (around South Station) and assumed that they had accessories on them that invite touching. I read somewhere that a covered bike is less likely to be ticketed (but I also read somewhere that being in downtown Boston you get a sea breeze in the summer, too.)

2012 BMW F800R

Welcome to the shit hole

2004 Yahama RX-Z
    2004 Yamaha 125-Z
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR, bitch is SOLD

Castrol R30

Welcome and that's a great commuter / all-arounder.

I've lived in Boston since '98 and like most places, sport bikes and dirt bikes are the primary theft targets. Covers are rather common on bikes in the city. Lately it's rumored that meter maids have been lifting them and writing tickets so cinch it down if possible. Dowco makes a battery powered cover alarm for $20.

Yankee Beemers is a primarily MA-based, really active BMW club - I belong even though I don't own one and recommend them. You get a discount card when you join ($30 a year) and most of the dealers will give you a discount on parts and service so well worth it to you BMW owners, for whom service is best performed by Germans in white lab coats.

Consider taking more training - MSF ARC or Lee Parks Total Control - and by then the rest of the dudes here will have you signed up for the track....

You will find delegations leaving various areas to go to the Tuesday bike nights in Lowell, and sometimes the Thursday night European Bike Night at Moto Market in Acton.

My favorite city-riding accessories are:
    - White helmet.
    - Hi-viz jacket Though it is not an "invincibility cloak" people generally assume you are a cop or firefighter and give you some extra notice.
    - Stebel Nautilus air horns. When a finger just won't do.
    - A tank bag and Twisted Throttle double-ended dry bag. A mf'ing genius designed that.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Welcome and that's a great commuter / all-arounder.

I've lived in Boston since '98 and like most places, sport bikes and dirt bikes are the primary theft targets. Covers are rather common on bikes in the city. Lately it's rumored that meter maids have been lifting them and writing tickets so cinch it down if possible. Dowco makes a battery powered cover alarm for $20.

Yankee Beemers is a primarily MA-based, really active BMW club - I belong even though I don't own one and recommend them. You get a discount card when you join ($30 a year) and most of the dealers will give you a discount on parts and service so well worth it to you BMW owners, for whom service is best performed by Germans in white lab coats.

Consider taking more training - MSF ARC or Lee Parks Total Control - and by then the rest of the dudes here will have you signed up for the track....

You will find delegations leaving various areas to go to the Tuesday bike nights in Lowell, and sometimes the Thursday night European Bike Night at Moto Market in Acton.

My favorite city-riding accessories are:
    - White helmet.
    - Hi-viz jacket Though it is not an "invincibility cloak" people generally assume you are a cop or firefighter and give you some extra notice.
    - Stebel Nautilus air horns. When a finger just won't do.
    - A tank bag and Twisted Throttle double-ended dry bag. A mf'ing genius designed that.
    Thanks-the only thing I hate is putting it away at night. I can't believe I didn't do this earlier.

Appreciate the pointer to the Dowco alarm cover - just ordered one. Seems ideal for city parking and parking outside hotels/motels at night, too.

I will definitely sign up for Yankee Beemers. Looks like they're very active. That discount will work, too!

Germans in white coats...as long as they're in bars I'm sold. One favorite memory of Berlin is an intersection with a neighborhood pub on each corner. Beer at lunch...very civilized.

I do plan on more training. I didn't know about Lee Parks Total Control, so I'll check that out tonight from home. Thanks.

I already want to get to the track as a spectator from reading this forum...Lots more experience to be gained on the road first. I'm bringing my friends' 12-year old son who rides a homemade mini-chopper (his aunt gave him.) We're negotiating over which dates work for him and for them, too. He won't want to leave.

I'm going to try to get to these weeknight events. Acton is easier to get to, but Lowell sounds great, too.

Great accessories list - much appreciated.

Malcom at rest:
    New Rider From Newton/Parking In Downtown Boston-malcolm-chopper-1-jpg

2012 BMW F800R

Let me know if you're lucky to find a good parking spot so far everywhere I parked I have gotten a ticket, lucky enough I only ride in once a week

Quote Originally Posted by 7UPyours View Post
    Let me know if you're lucky to find a good parking spot so far everywhere I parked I have gotten a ticket, lucky enough I only ride in once a week
    I'll share what I learn if it's useful. It (still) seems wrong to see so many scooters parked on sidewalks (overnight no less) in Boston and motorcycles ticketed on the street.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 BMW F800R

Quote Originally Posted by gtutunjian View Post
    I'll share what I learn if it's useful. It (still) seems wrong to see so many scooters parked on sidewalks (overnight no less) in Boston and motorcycles ticketed on the street.
    Guys are pulling plates off 150's or putting big bore kits on 50's so they can still park as a moped. The RMV and BPD are starting to crack down a bit.

I use an electric bike in the city, it's awesome. Filter traffic, cut through parks, park right in front of stores and no sweating involved. It takes me 1:20 to get home from the packie....

[QUOTE=Garandman;1198544]Guys are pulling plates off 150's or putting big bore kits on 50's so they can still park as a moped. The RMV and BPD are starting to crack down a bit.QUOTE]

I think we need to get Mayor Menino on a motorcycle or a scooter. He started paying attention to road cycling when he got on a road bike (not counting his spills.) I have to wonder if any significant local elected officials ride motorcycles or scooters? I did some web searching but turned up nothing.

I like your electric bike solution. I'm assuming you use a trailer for case purchases!

2012 BMW F800R

The saddle bags each fit a 12 pack.....

I might upgrade to one of those "long bikes" like an Xtracycle, but for what I've spent it works great. It's built on a Giant mountain bike frame with a Crystalyte hub motor and 48V LifeP04 battery pack. I don't know what the range is because I've never run out of "juice" yet. It'll go around 20 without peddling, faster with someone lighter on it. For most local trips up to about 5 miles it's much faster than a car or motorcycle.

It pays to plan...

I think you will be extrapopular should armageddon break out sometime in the near future... Nice solution. Can you post a picture sometime?

I didn't know about the Xtracycle. Thanks for mentioning it. I would think these would be very popular. This I would lock to a rack or a pole while I'm in Stop & Shop or someplace else local. The closest dealer is in CT. Huh. I would have thought the larger shops in MA would have gotten onboard already.

2012 BMW F800R

I just want one of these for around town:

50mph and burly enough suspension to hit stair gaps, but it's still classified as an electric bicycle!

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Whoa - that's a ride! Who makes that!?

2012 BMW F800R

Quote Originally Posted by gtutunjian View Post
    Whoa - that's a ride! Who makes that!?
    Stealth ebikes. About $10 grand.

Quote Originally Posted by SVenpointsixtwo View Post
    I just want one of these for around town:
    50mph and burly enough suspension to hit stair gaps, but it's still classified as an electric bicycle!
    It's baby food versus the Audi E-Tron, which has a Segway-like system for "automatic wheelies."
    http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=27915

http://www.evworld.com/press/audi_e-bikeconcept_VRP.jpg

Mine is way, way more humble. Giant mountain bike, not even disc brakes or suspension. Crystalyte hub motor. It originally had a 48V SLA batter pack that weighed 29 lbs - I've upgraded to a LifePO4 pack that weighs 16 lbs, about double the range, and has a 1500 charge life. But I still need a cover for it, right now it's held in place with an ace bandage....

The speedo battery is dead but it used to do 20mph with me on it and no pedaling. I only pedal if I see a dude in Spandex going up a hill, so I can pass him and say, "Hey, how's it going?" They never seem to notice the hub motor or battery.

Quote Originally Posted by 7UPyours View Post
    Across The Channel on A Street (go past South Station headed South on Summer Street and take the first right after crossing The Channel. Go to the Stop Sign, take a right. You're on A Street.) Find Barlow's Restaurant up A Street on your left. Take a left in front of Barlow's and stop immediately. Bikes park all day weekdays (anyway) without being ticketed. I've worked with one of the weekday riders, and he's parked there for 3 years. I saw this for 6 (bikeless) months myself. There were 3 bikes and a scooter there this morning. (I forgot about this until I rode through there this morning.) It's a walk from there to downtown, but it's there.

2012 BMW F800R

There are other places in Southie as but that's no really "downtown."

Greg the next Yankee Beemers breakfast is a week from Sunday.

There is a group that leaves early from the Dunkin Donuts at Fresh Pond Circle in Cambridge, rides to Maynard to meet up with additional riders, and then rides to the breakfast. I commend it to you so you can see what YB group rides are about. Ride your own ride, but you probably won't find the pace challenging.

http://www.yankeebeemers.org/forum/s...r-Alert-for-LR

I'm right in your area. Hit me up if you want to ride. I'm still getting used to my bike so I'm not looking to rip up the twisties

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600