Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

bad day sunday

bad day sunday

Couple weeks ago I posted about my what I convinced myself was my front tire getting covered with something slick and losing it in a parking lot around a corner at 5-10 mph. Anyway.. cleaned the bike up.. tried to use simple green/honda brite to clean the tire.. then washed it down with soap and water to make sure I didn't have any of the degreaser stuff on it.. I pretty much hadn't ridden since the incident... so last sunday I took the bike out again.. and I was trying to be extra careful since I'd went down the last time I had ridden.. anyway.. did some riding on the highway.. then ended up back home.. stopped 5 min from my house for a coffee.. 20 min later I got back on the bike and turning left into my neighboorhood i had the front tire slide out on me AGAIN!! I feel like the biggest eeediot.. dunno what I'm doing wrong or why this is happening.. i been riding off/on for awhile and didn't have ANY problems with my 2 previous bikes.. so I feel cursed.. haha.. dangit.. I dunno if I should go for that third strike or stay on the bench.. anyway.. BE CAREFUL out there..

-Feirax

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

bad day sunday

Glad your ok....
    This didn't happen with the SV, right? weird

bad day sunday

nope.. the RR.. never had any probs with the SV and the 10k miles i put on it last year.

bad day sunday

see...you should have kept the SV...

bad day sunday

Man...glad you ok. So it happened with the RR.....
    hmmmmm rr So any major damage? How do you like it?

Rui
    2000CBR 600F4
    Yellow /Black
    Micron exhaust
    www.ruifrias.com

I Dance With Will

Re: bad day sunday

Originally posted by Feirax
    Couple weeks ago I posted about my what I convinced myself was my front tire getting covered with something slick and losing it in a parking lot around a corner at 5-10 mph. Anyway.. cleaned the bike up.. tried to use simple green/honda brite to clean the tire.. then washed it down with soap and water to make sure I didn't have any of the degreaser stuff on it.. I pretty much hadn't ridden since the incident... so last sunday I took the bike out again.. and I was trying to be extra careful since I'd went down the last time I had ridden.. anyway.. did some riding on the highway.. then ended up back home.. stopped 5 min from my house for a coffee.. 20 min later I got back on the bike and turning left into my neighboorhood i had the front tire slide out on me AGAIN!! I feel like the biggest eeediot.. dunno what I'm doing wrong or why this is happening.. i been riding off/on for awhile and didn't have ANY problems with my 2 previous bikes.. so I feel cursed.. haha.. dangit.. I dunno if I should go for that third strike or stay on the bench.. anyway.. BE CAREFUL out there..

-Feirax
    damn! real sorry man. we definitely need to start some sort of crashing club.

you know i felt curse too. i do believe in this sort of thing. there is a graveyard in the area where i went down. prior to my crash date i usually made a U-turn pass the graveyard. that day i made a U-turn at the entrance and over step the boundary. im a little superstition.

"fuckit!"

Lifer

bad day sunday

Geez... what degreaser do you use?

I've gotten tons and tons of it on my bicycle/motorcycle tires without every having a problem. (I just about soak the bicycle rims trying to get the braking surface clean)

I want to know so I never use the same product...

BTW simple green + 600RR with tons of aluminum = bad things.

Simple green has warnings not to let it sit on aluminum.

Ben

bad day sunday

You may want someone like a mechanic or a racer to look at it. It just seems strange.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

bad day sunday

no offense intended... but have you checked tire pressure?

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

i put water on my tires & thats it

fucking guys want 2 look at your bikes or ride um i clean my bike when i have time... its part of my check on the bike when i change the oil
    what degreaser none!!!!!! dont put friction reduecers on your tires pindinkis

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

bad day sunday

Originally posted by rui93
    Man...glad you ok. So it happened with the RR.....
    hmmmmm rr So any major damage? How do you like it?
    no major damage other than the cosmetic scars/scratches and the bent brake pedal from the first time. How do I like it?? Hmm well if u asked me before I would have told u its an awesome bike.. nice smooth power delivery and stable.. even the stock exhaust note has its moments.

-F

bad day sunday

When I got back from vacation I had checked the tire pressure with the thumb method.. *mumble* I know I know..

I had to use the degreaser to get the slime/oil off the tire from the first incident. And I tried to wash the degreaser off with soap/water to make sure the tire was clean.. i don't use it on anything besides the rims/swingarm/belly fairing usual.. just to get the sling/break dust off when I'm cleaning her up.. this was a special case..

This weekend a friend is coming over to help check the bike over with me.. going to check it over good then to try and find anything that may be out of the ordinary.. first thing on the list is to check the tire pressure..

as for the body work.. how much does a paint job for a bike usually run?? To replace the bodywork is real expensive but its just scratched for the most part and were it got ground a little bit, even painted it wouldn't be that noticeable..

thx for the feedback guys..

-F

bad day sunday

just a couple questions

1. tire preassure?
    2. how long has the tire been on? is it cupping.
    3. have you changed the front tire?
    4. have you adjusted anything with the front fork or add anything new?
    5. fork oil leak?

bad day sunday

This is why I suggest a racer look at it: Somone experienced and trustworthy takes it out and rips on it once around the block. If they come back with a smile, it's rider error.

At least you can eliminate anything mechanical and maybe save some time and effort.

I'm trying to find the right words so as not to offend, just want to help save you some heartache swapping out parts that don't need it, spending time and effort needlessly.

Oct. 25th we are planning a little winterizing/minor tune day, It's north of you, but we will be there and if you haven't found a cure by then...
    Check out our winterizing thread.

Good luck bro.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

bad day sunday

"prior to my crash date i usually made a U-turn pass the graveyard. that day i made a U-turn at the entrance and over step the boundary"

Now I know that road.. it's a little Indian Graveyard next to the reseorvior there.. Creepy that you turned around there that day..

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

OMG

OMG
    Halifax, MA
    1999 Suzuki Bandit 600s
    D&D Exhaust

bad day sunday

28 psi in the front tire.. i usually run 32.. its probably down a bit in part since its cooler now.

The tires have 7k miles on them and appear to be in good shape.. still a-ways away from the indicators by any means. The rear is starting to square off though..

I had to back the bike up to check the tire pressure this morning and i was kind surprised that there was no travel to the front brake.. i look over and its set to 1.. now I usually ride with it set to 6.. someone musta fiddled with it because i didn't touch it... anyway it might have been that i grabbed too much brake at some point or something and since the rubber is soft it'd rather slide off quietly than squeal and since I was starting to turn in i didn't notice it start to slide.. all speculation..

any idea what an RR with scraped up bodywork on both sides would be worth selling for??

-F

I Dance With Will

bad day sunday

and you have plenty of experience. "shit happen". i dont understand why people giving me so much shit about my short riding experience. i bet i can ride better than some of you w/ more years of experience than me. right SOCO? you're record should be looked at and should be treated as case by case because you dont want to be stereotype.

it really has to do with your riding attitude. this is taught in the MSF class. "how to tell if you're a dangerous rider" depends on how agressive is your driving. that's road safety experience.

:

Originally posted by Feirax
    28 psi in the front tire.. i usually run 32.. its probably down a bit in part since its cooler now.

The tires have 7k miles on them and appear to be in good shape.. still a-ways away from the indicators by any means. The rear is starting to square off though..

I had to back the bike up to check the tire pressure this morning and i was kind surprised that there was no travel to the front brake.. i look over and its set to 1.. now I usually ride with it set to 6.. someone musta fiddled with it because i didn't touch it... anyway it might have been that i grabbed too much brake at some point or something and since the rubber is soft it'd rather slide off quietly than squeal and since I was starting to turn in i didn't notice it start to slide.. all speculation..

any idea what an RR with scraped up bodywork on both sides would be worth selling for??

-F

"fuckit!"

Banned

bad day sunday

You cannot clean tires with anything other than hot water. No soap, certainly no simple green or brake cleaner should get anywhere near tires. If you screw up the chemical makeup of the tires they can look great but when they get hot they ooze oil and stuff that makes them slick as hell.

Water only to clean tires, no surfactants, degreasers or suchlike.

For street riding you should have about 36lb air in front and rear tires when they are stone cold. 28lb in a street tire is not enough, it will overheat at the edges and cause unexpected loss of grip on the edges. When hot, expect tire pressure to be way over 40psi.

If you ever get oil or tranny fluid or diesel on your tires, wipe it off with a cloth and hot water and let it dry. The tires will be fine after that.

Check your steering head bearings for play and make sure your front brakes aren't grabbing at any point. CBR's are well known for warping rotors especially if you have used them on a trackday or two.

Good luck.

BTW, Simple green will turn motorcycle plastic dull and cause aluminium parts to furr up.

derek

bad day sunday

Originally posted by Degsy
    You cannot clean tires with anything other than hot water. No soap, certainly no simple green or brake cleaner should get anywhere near tires. If you screw up the chemical makeup of the tires they can look great but when they get hot they ooze oil and stuff that makes them slick as hell.

Water only to clean tires, no surfactants, degreasers or suchlike.

For street riding you should have about 36lb air in front and rear tires when they are stone cold. 28lb in a street tire is not enough, it will overheat at the edges and cause unexpected loss of grip on the edges. When hot, expect tire pressure to be way over 40psi.

If you ever get oil or tranny fluid or diesel on your tires, wipe it off with a cloth and hot water and let it dry. The tires will be fine after that.

Check your steering head bearings for play and make sure your front brakes aren't grabbing at any point. CBR's are well known for warping rotors especially if you have used them on a trackday or two.

Good luck.

BTW, Simple green will turn motorcycle plastic dull and cause aluminium parts to furr up.

derek

And there is your experienced racer. You may want to take it down to Derek and let him ride it around the block. Don't bring yourself down thinking you can't ride when the damn head bearings are such that no one can ride it.

Don't give up yet!!!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

bad day sunday

I'm up for having a racer check it out.. any volunteers?? Of course I would likely have to ride it to get it somewhere..

So Degs.. U think I should replace my front tire now that its had degreaser on it??? I don't need it oozing slick stuff. :-/

-F