Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Who rides a Z1000? Need some info on it

I am thinking about getting a used 2003 Kawa Z1000 but I can't find much info on them. What I found is that its a fuel injected ZX-9R engine bored out to 1000 cc. Can't find much else besides that. Anyone know if there is a Z1000 forum like svrider.com ? Also anyone know any defects/ common problems with the 2003 z1000's ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I haven't heard of any problems with them, but I haven't been listening for them either. There are still some leftover '03s around. There's a black one near me listed at $6999

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by ChR1s
    I haven't heard of any problems with them, but I haven't been listening for them either. There are still some leftover '03s around. There's a black one near me listed at $6999

Thanks for the heads up
    damn ... theres still left over 03s ? I was about to get a used one for 6000 .... 6999 sounds tasty for a new bike .

i have one... what you said about covers it.
    the thing goes like hell, lofts the front really easy, handles well and never has any issues. its a great street bike, a little heavy for the track.
    i got my '03 in '04 as a left over and have rideen the snot out of it locally, down at Deals Gap and all over loudon.... and just keep changing the oil. i think theres like 14000 miles on it now... its in someone elses garage at the moment though so i cant verify that readily.
    some people get paranoid about the wind protection... but its actually pretty decent, you dont notice it really til you hit the triple digits.
    the wide handlebars on the thing are great for the street... it has this really weird "flickability" for a big bike. pretty cool. on the track, i am starting to think some clipons would be nice, but i dont think it was ever intended to be a track bike... more of a hooligan machine. so mine wont be getting any clipons.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    i have one... what you said about covers it.
    the thing goes like hell, lofts the front really easy, handles well and never has any issues. its a great street bike, a little heavy for the track.
    i got my '03 in '04 as a left over and have rideen the snot out of it locally, down at Deals Gap and all over loudon.... and just keep changing the oil. i think theres like 14000 miles on it now... its in someone elses garage at the moment though so i cant verify that readily.
    some people get paranoid about the wind protection... but its actually pretty decent, you dont notice it really til you hit the triple digits.
    the wide handlebars on the thing are great for the street... it has this really weird "flickability" for a big bike. pretty cool. on the track, i am starting to think some clipons would be nice, but i dont think it was ever intended to be a track bike... more of a hooligan machine. so mine wont be getting any clipons.

Ah nice , thanks for your input , thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Im probably going to be touring on the bike a lot, not planning on going to the track with it. What caught my eye about the bike is the style. Bike is seksi. Guess like Im going to go shop around for a Z1000

Valley Motorsports in Northampton, MA had the leftover '03. I'd only do business with those shysters as a last resort though.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

i bought mine new in April of 03 and I still love it. It is a great all around bike...extremely fun bike to ride

I have around 16k on mine and have only done the scheduled maintainence stuff

more then you ever wanted to know about them http://www.riderforums.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

I love that bike. I was tossing the idea of getting one vs. the VFR, but decided that much power may not be a good thing for me yet. Gorgeous bike, and you don't see a ton of them.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Re: Who rides a Z1000? Need some info on it

Originally posted by coolriderdude
    I am thinking about getting a used 2003 Kawa Z1000 but I can't find much info on them. What I found is that its a fuel injected ZX-9R engine bored out to 1000 cc. Can't find much else besides that. Anyone know if there is a Z1000 forum like svrider.com ? Also anyone know any defects/ common problems with the 2003 z1000's ?

I heard that they were considered girls bikes

Ok not really.Just messing aroun. I've ridden oreo_n2's and I must say I was pretty impressed with it. The torque curve is very smooth and the engine just pulls. From just off the start to redline it pulls clean and smooth. I wouldn't mind having one in the stable!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Ah nice , thanks for your input , thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Im probably going to be touring on the bike a lot, not planning on going to the track with it. What caught my eye about the bike is the style. Bike is seksi. Guess like Im going to go shop around for a Z1000
    i'll sell ya mine... $5k, almost all stock, with extra front sprocket (15t), heated grips and nearly new tires.

i am thinking about getting a 600RR for more track oriented riding.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Dude you ought to ride one first. I can't ride Jen's for more rthan like 2 hours at a time holy fuckin uncomfortable. That being said let me know when you want to ride one.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

i'll sell ya mine... $5k, almost all stock, with extra front sprocket (15t), heated grips and nearly new tires.

i am thinking about getting a 600RR for more track oriented riding.
    How many miles on it? What color ?

Originally posted by rmbbikes
    Dude you ought to ride one first. I can't ride Jen's for more rthan like 2 hours at a time holy fuckin uncomfortable. That being said let me know when you want to ride one.

KB
    You mean that in a bad way ? Or a good way ? lol

KB,

Brent has Jane's 600rr at his place and has ridden quite a few hours on it!

<---its right over there i think its got somewhere between 12 and 14k miles,

there are more pics of it on myspace...
    www.myspace.com/oreo_n2

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

You mean that in a bad way ? Or a good way ? lol
    he may be talking about the seat...it slopes into the tank a bit...

It wasnt that bad for me until I raised the tail of the bike....then it was borderline unbearable....until i put a corbin on there..problem solved..

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

KB is talking about the 600RR being uncomfortable, not the Z1000. The Z is very comfy for all day riding. I bet a corbin helps it even more.

The RR gets you bent over and cramped up like a pretzel, and the seat resembles the soft surface of plywood. It takes a lot of back muscle to stay on that thing for a long time. But thats ok, i think its worth it.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

<---its right over there i think its got somewhere between 12 and 14k miles,

there are more pics of it on myspace...
    www.myspace.com/oreo_n2

A lil bit high on the miles for me

Thanks for all the info people, I think I'll be riding a z1000 by this spring , going to check out the dealerships around my area

Don't let the miles scare you away! Brent babies that bike!