Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Riding 2 up tips

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Re: Riding 2 up tips

I ride two-up quite a bit on the FZ - add 3lb to the rear tire, some preload and some compression damping. The bike rides fine set up this way. Honestly, it did get a lot easier with experience.

It's also the proper machine for it.... We tried out an R6S once, it's a totally different story.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Tell her to move her head to the inside of the turn as well. It feels better for the driver. Makes a huge difference for me.

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Quote Originally Posted by DankDirtyBird View Post
    Tell her to move her head to the inside of the pants as well. It feels better for the driver. Makes it look huge, big difference .

fixed it!

for the 2 years that I had a bike and Traci didn't I probably did at least 20k with her on the back, both on the 250 and the 650. I will say this, learning how to ride made her a MUCH better passenger, but all in all its just something you have to learn and get used to. Eventually it won't feel so hard.

My rule of thumb was always to make her get off if it was a low speed manuver in a parking lot, otherwise I'd tell her to sit as still as possible. Looking to the inside of the turn helps... I also installed passenger grips on the 650.

Last edited by ThisBitch; 10-19-10 at 12:29 PM.
    Original

I would always hold onto the tank and once I started getting comfortable I would hold onto the tank with only one hand. When goin thru twisty's I would hold the tank with one hand and the back of my seat with the other and move with the driver. Thats after a coulple years of riding and if I felt comfortable euff with the driver. Im 5'2 and 105lbs (on a good day) and I was afraid at first I would just fly off the back. Once she rides on the back for a lil while she will get the hang out what she should/n't do and it'll b more fun.

For two up rides, give her to me...problem solved!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

You'd probably be amazed at what a difference 3-5 lbs of air pressure will do. My wife's a bit smaller than your pillion, but 3 or 4lbs of air pressure makes a huge difference. Enough that I've never messed with the suspension just for 2-up rides...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    You'd probably be amazed at what a difference 3-5 lbs of air pressure will do. My wife's a bit smaller than your pillion, but 3 or 4lbs of air pressure makes a huge difference. Enough that I've never messed with the suspension just for 2-up rides...

Yeah I going to air up next time, it seems everyone airs up for a 2 up ride. I think I'm going to add 5lbs and a lil bit of comp/damp because I'm pretty sure that is an issue as well.

Lifer

I never adjusted anything and never had an issue, even with a fatty on the back. I'd even two up with KB, we'd be topping 450 combined weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    I never adjusted anything and never had an issue, even with a fatty on the back. I'd even two up with KB, we'd be topping 450 combined weight.

Bike?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Bike?
    2001 cbr 929 with a 954 swingarm causing incorrect geometry, stock shock with 40k miles on it and 90-something superhawk.

press ESA button and go.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    I'd even two up with KB, we'd be topping 450 combined weight.
    pictures or it never happened

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Deffinately adding preload to the spring is going to be a huge difference right there. But if the rear end is dropping signifficantly after adding preload your suspension could be getting old. I've taken em on a bunch of rides and untill recently had no problems. My FZR however acted exactly as your describing regardless of preload. That said you will notice an enormous difference between someone new and someone experienced. Emma does very well and one of my friends is even better than her but I've had others that have been awefull, Including one chick that decided to lean the wrong way with a death grip on me during a u turn... didn't work out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Including one chick that decided to lean the wrong way with a death grip on me during a u turn... didn't work out so well.
    For the girl or for the bike?

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Rear brake works better for 2-up. Settles the chassis and keeps the front from diving and your nuts from sliding into the tank!

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Practice makes perfect. It really sucks to have all that extra weight.

Lifer

I second what everyone said. Add about 3 lbs to the tire pressure and 2-3 clicks on the preload. On my FZ6 I would have my wife on the back all the time. My stock preload was 3 and I kept it at that when riding solo because I ride mostly in the horrible city roads. With my wife I went to 5 (out of 7) and it was fine. Also, wasn't too harsh for me so I left it at that. I'll have to figure out what to have the VFR set at...

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Good advice folks I totally agree .

I rode 2UP all summer long Last-year on My 04 636 ZX-6R , Wifey a perfect passenger some times even forgot she was there .
    The ZX-6R is not know for being 2 Up Friendly non the less it worked until I moved up to a leader bike.
    Basics were hands on the gas tank when slowing down and hold on to me when accelerating ,followed by look into the turn (follow my lead - inside turn) ,and for the love of All Mighty sit on the seat and not on my back -the Family Jewels need protection .

I had to stiffen the suspension and add more tire pressure ,and to my surprise I could take corners and lean more with her on the bike than riding solo ,more weight on the rear tire - more grip ? not sure bit it worked .

my opinion and experience .

Live to Ride and Ride to Live

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger157 View Post
    Even if it was t-shirts and jeans, I'd wear ATGATT, you're wearing leather pants,jacket, boots and gloves!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    For the girl or for the bike?
    Yes. Prettymuch everything involved. Thankfully it was a u turn so we were going slow. But apparently she had had a few which I didn't discover till after we started out, hence me turning around, so she didn't feel anything and stayed loose enough that she just ended up with a bruise on her ass. And that was my first bike which was already a dumpster. She basically threw us both off the outside of the bike slamming it onto the ground. No warning just hey let's both sit up now slam. She was the last person I didn't know that I broke the passenger cherry on.

so she didn't feel anything and stayed loose enough that she just ended up with a bruise on her ass. .
    That made me laugh!

so she didn't feel anything and stayed loose enough that she just ended up with a bruise on her ass. .

And ? ...

Live to Ride and Ride to Live

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger157 View Post
    Even if it was t-shirts and jeans, I'd wear ATGATT, you're wearing leather pants,jacket, boots and gloves!

Aaaand she ended up hooking up with another guy at the party that night so I rashed my bike for nothin g. The best part was I got a text from her a couple days later asking if I'd take her on some more rides so she could "learn to be a better passenger"... I never replied lol. I can't tell you how tempted I was to just reply "Sure, now about that 250 you owe me for my left fairing."

Oh yeah also some of her friends were pissed at me for taking her out when she had been drinking... would have been nice if those friends had actually TOLD me she had been drinking BEFORE we got on the bike '_'
    End rant...for now...maybe

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 10-20-10 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    That made me laugh!
    Lmao wow so didn't even see that when I typed it.

Greg,

Although the pressure and suspension settings are a good idea, I suspect the real problem is that the two of you are new to 2-up riding. Your body position has been shifted slightly, you're probably leaning on or gripping the bars more than normal and your nervousness transfers into rough gear shifts which will cause her to rock a bit.

A good passenger can do most of their braking with their heels and thighs and simply loops a single hand around your waist when given a signal to hang on. This will take her a while to learn. Remind her that bikes balance best at speed so it's best if she readjusts her seating position while you're moving rapidly in a straight line instead of when you're slowing for a stop.

Keep practicing, you both will learn given enough time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast