Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Riding 2 up tips

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: Riding 2 up tips

So, I'm late... happens.

Greg... I am 200lbs. I was leaning with you, problem is you were assuming I was not and over-correcting.

But seriously... some people can be a passenger and some can't. I've been put into the oncoming traffic lane by a passenger before (never 2-up someone that outweighs you).

Make sure she is moving with you. You turn left, you move left... her natural reaction is to move right, since moving left feels like she's helping the bike fall. A passenger "helping you keep the bike upright" sucks. Make sure she keeps her body in line with yours. That's the biggest thing... IME.

Doc sucks

You're queerbait

date thinner girls

Also, get the girl on a bike. If she doesn't have a bike of her own, put her back in the kitchen. Problem solved.

edit: also, listen to pete & the butcher.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ya greg i've never had a problem and MY Ex was exact same weight as your passenger.

i'm betting that since your on the lighter side everything is juts set a bit soft, so stiffer her up a bit with compression and preload and it should help a bit

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    Ya greg i've never had a problem and MY Ex was exact same weight as your passenger.

i'm betting that since your on the lighter side everything is juts set a bit soft, so stiffer her up a bit with compression and preload and it should help a bit

That was the plan, but after todays ride my right fork was pissing oil so I'll have to try all of this next year .

Yeach that sucks bud. Well rip it apart and freshe n it all up. Your not very far from me anymore so let me know if you need a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Yeach that sucks bud. Well rip it apart and freshe n it all up. Your not very far from me anymore so let me know if you need a hand.

Thanks Dave

Tougher than a lion Sportygurl131's Avatar

hey greg ill 2 up : show u what a goooddd passenger feels like

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto
    Subaru love is so sweet.
    qoute from a fellow nesrian

You crazy bitch!!

2003 sv650s copper!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Sportygurl is probably your best bet for meeting and making new friends, she is like the social director or ambassador or something for NESR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportygurl131 View Post
    hey greg ill 2 up : show u what a goooddd passenger feels like

awe thanks Jackie

Posting Freak

1. Set front and rear sag correctly (if you don't know the numbers, look it up) for solo rider.
    2. Have passenger get on the bike with you and set sag to the same figures as above.
    If #2 cannot be set the same as #1 then your bike will not handle well with a passenger!
    3. Put tire pressures at max reading of tires.
    4. Have her sit "neutral" on the seat, in line with your body. Tell her to "never" make any body adjustments when cornering--and do not anticipate the turn! She can't help you turn the motorcycle...if uo F-up, there's nothing for her to do. The only thing she should do is turn her head to the right for right hand turns, left for lefts!
    5. DON'T SCARE HER!!--take the corners easy at first--and don't hang off!
    6. Her hands on the back of the tank for heavy braking--around your waist "lightly" for cruising or on her knees if she's comfortable.
    7. Learn to shift gears!!!--That's right, learn to shift quickly and smoothly--when done right, your passenger should not even feel the shift...no head banging!!
    8. Practice! Practice!!

I'm old, and I've ridden almost all of my street miles 2-up. mostly with the best passenger there is--Mary!
    And the way I taught her originally was to "NOT" teach her anything....I pulled up to her house on my Ducati Paso, threw her a helmet (that she realised later was never strapped on)... told her to just sit still, and rode at my regular spirited pace, concentrating on be as smooth as possible (like rain riding)! She had never been on a motorcycle before, so had not preconcived (sp) notions of what was right or wrong..all she knew was- "This is how we're gonna ride" and that was that. And it's been that was for over 20 yrs. I've given her some points of advice over the years---(once she anticipated an upcoming turn and leaned the wrong way, forcing us into the oncoming lane...but that's the extent of our mistakes.
    She has her own little habits--like using my peg to mount and dismount, once the bike is running in neutral, sidestand up and I'm ready---I give a head nod.
    Intercoms are a good idea too--and earplugs!!
    Enjoy.
    and ATGATT for her...you care, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricklidz View Post
    1. Set front and rear sag correctly (if you don't know the numbers, look it up) for solo rider.
    2. Have passenger get on the bike with you and set sag to the same figures as above.
    If #2 cannot be set the same as #1 then your bike will not handle well with a passenger!
    didn't do
    3. Put tire pressures at max reading of tires.
    didn't do
    4. Have her sit "neutral" on the seat, in line with your body. Tell her to "never" make any body adjustments when cornering--and do not anticipate the turn! She can't help you turn the motorcycle...if uo F-up, there's nothing for her to do. The only thing she should do is turn her head to the right for right hand turns, left for lefts!
    did do
    5. DON'T SCARE HER!!--take the corners easy at first--and don't hang off!
    just cruised down 119 with minimal throttle/brake inputs
    6. Her hands on the back of the tank for heavy braking--around your waist "lightly" for cruising or on her knees if she's comfortable.
    did do
    7. Learn to shift gears!!!--That's right, learn to shift quickly and smoothly--when done right, your passenger should not even feel the shift...no head banging!!
    was very smooth
    8. Practice! Practice!!

I'm old, and I've ridden almost all of my street miles 2-up. mostly with the best passenger there is--Mary!
    And the way I taught her originally was to "NOT" teach her anything....I pulled up to her house on my Ducati Paso, threw her a helmet (that she realised later was never strapped on)... told her to just sit still, and rode at my regular spirited pace, concentrating on be as smooth as possible (like rain riding)! She had never been on a motorcycle before, so had not preconcived (sp) notions of what was right or wrong..all she knew was- "This is how we're gonna ride" and that was that. And it's been that was for over 20 yrs. I've given her some points of advice over the years---(once she anticipated an upcoming turn and leaned the wrong way, forcing us into the oncoming lane...but that's the extent of our mistakes.
    She has her own little habits--like using my peg to mount and dismount, once the bike is running in neutral, sidestand up and I'm ready---I give a head nod.
    Intercoms are a good idea too--and earplugs!!
    Enjoy.
    and ATGATT for her...you care, right?

Yes she had full gear, well except for the jeggings and the fact her little feet where swimming in my Sidi's. I'm completely convinced it was mostly a suspension and tire pressure issue as the bike felt unrideable but also realize being a new 2 up rider with a pillion that has never been on a bike is probably not the best combo.

thanks trick

Posting Freak

you're welcome.

Posting Freak

passengers with no 2-up experience are sometimes better.... they tend to sit still and make it easier for you to get comfortable...

passengers that also ride are more difficult as they lean unexpectedly and sometimes over exaggerate making it more difficult....

but the passenger needs to know when to sit still and when to lean to help you carve up a good road....

just did a few 2 up rides a few days ago with a new to me passenger. . . . . holy crap what a good passenger can do. She is 5'8" 145lbs but i couldn't even tell she was there . . . . we are a bad combo tho gonna get ourselves in trouble next ride we are both wearing leathers lol

Did a 116 run in the dark in jeans . . . not my most brilliant moment but it was damn fun

Also running a tall rear tire 190/55 and 35psi

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Posting Freak

Can be fun....with the right passenger!!

for such an awesome pic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123