Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riding the center line

Riding the center line

After takin a ride around the big lake (Winnipesauke) yesterday I noticed a lot of riders hugging the center line. And not just in the corners straight line riding. Why is this practice more common now then I have seen before? Seems its all about bravado, like I am tough and taking all the lane, here me roar BS! Both Harleys and Sport bikes are guilty. Asking what you all think of this... In my view nothing good comes from this riding style.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 06-18-16 at 08:13 AM.

Re: Riding the center line

I don't know about hugging the line, and I don't have any MSF experience in the last 15 years, but when I took motorcycle safety it was taught that solo riders should occupy the left half of the lane. When riding in a group, the lead rider should take the left half of the lane and stagger from there back. I don't know if that's still being instructed but I do see a lot of riders now riding in the right half.

The logic when I was instructed was that in the left half, you always have an escape path, or at least some safety margin to the right.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I know what he means, dudes constantly riding with their highway pegs, grips, and mirrors encroaching into the oncoming traffic lane...its beyond stupid if you ask me.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yea, I only do it if I'm following a larger vehicle. I've had people turn left in front of me, thinking the car in front of me was the last in line. Helps them see you.

I see it all the time in NH. I ride in the left hand part of the lane if I'm alone, but I don't hug the yellow line like some of these guys do. Seems pretty stupid to me as well.

I don't know if anything has changed since taking th NH MSF course 7 years ago but they have you divide your lane into 1/3's. You're generally in the left 1/3rd when traveling down the road. One reason is to be seen. Not to write a Masters thesis so that's the jist of it. MANY are hugging that center line and some may or may not not know why so I don't want to speak for them.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Lifer

I do it all the time. Maximizes the distance from the edge of the road in case a deer pops out. And makes me more visible if a car is about to pull out. But I also move to the center of the lane as cars approach. Back to the edge of the lane as soon as the oncoming vehicle goes by.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I don't know about hugging the line, and I don't have any MSF experience in the last 15 years, but when I took motorcycle safety it was taught that solo riders should occupy the left half of the lane. When riding in a group, the lead rider should take the left half of the lane and stagger from there back. I don't know if that's still being instructed but I do see a lot of riders now riding in the right half.

The logic when I was instructed was that in the left half, you always have an escape path, or at least some safety margin to the right.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    They still teach that. Not only for an escape path but so you're seen in both the rear mirror and drivers side mirror.

I think OP is talking about riders who ride pretty much with the wheels on the center line, not just riding in the left third of the lane. I see it most with Harleys who insist on riding directly side by side as opposed to a full stagger.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

No issues riding on the left side of the lane. And I do it when riding alone for all the reasons stated above. Its the guys that hug the yellow line and stay there, with parts of there body and machine over the line.. Saw it again today people are just asking for it...maybe Darwin had a point... Anyway back to the safety of the race track tomorrow...

I like center of the left 1/3 so people see me and for the wiggle room when animals dart out.

Did see a harley dude yesterday riding the white line on 295 - he wasn't splitting lanes, just cruising on the white line with cars behind him on both sides, no helmet, barely going the speed limit. No clue what could be going through his head, maybe not much....

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I ride where, in traffic, I can see the most drivers eyes, either direct view or via a rear view mirror, quite often this lane position puts you close to the yellow line, I can see the eyes on oncoming drivers and more rear view mirrors of cars in front of me

hiding in traffic is what is stupid, ride the lane position that makes you most visible

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

When in Mass I just ride between the tar snakes, potholes and the deep cracks in the pavement
    (Rt.57)

I only ride dead-center on city streets where traffic could be pulling out with equal stupidity from either side. On the highway (esp. on the CRF) I ride left side of the right lane, and move to the right for big-ass trucks.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

I ride wherever I feel most comfortable. Sometimes on one line or the other, sometimes in the middle. All depends. You got the whole lane, feel free to use it.

I believe the original post is referring to an act of bravado by the harley set, not choosing lane position for maximum safety. I have noticed it too. riding the centerline to the extreme with oncoming traffic and not yielding. It's about as stupid as tailgaiting to intimidate, which they also do. I had 12 bikes so close to the back of my sprinter on the way to Loudon during bike week that I could have taken out the entire group with the slightest brake check.

Last night I did find myself riding the double yellows for a good reason. No oncoming traffic, dusk, and Bambi had been seen IN the curves on a mountain road. OK, High beams and riding the centerline did make me feel a LOT safer. I had more time to see deer from either side, and more pavement to evade them to either side.

Paul_E_D

I ride in whatever part of the lane presents the least perceived risk. If there's oncoming traffic, I'll move to the right before it arrives, then move left after it's gone by. There have been a couple (non-moto) fatalities in the area lately caused by texters drifting into oncoming traffic and I notice drivers texting and drifting far too often to let them get close to me. Hugging the center line with oncoming traffic is for people who can't distinguish machismo from stupidity.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Speed serpent View Post
    They still teach that. Not only for an escape path but so you're seen in both the rear mirror and drivers side mirror.
    They don't as far as I know if they are following the MSF curriculum. They stress MMM instead of OIO now.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Middle-middle-middle?

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Middle-middle-middle?
    Correct. That is what is being taught now by MSF...

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Correct. That is what is being taught now by MSF...
    Not when I took it in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed serpent View Post
    Not when I took it in March.
    Ahh yeah mass didn't adopt the new curriculum yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I believe the original post is referring to an act of bravado by the harley set, not choosing lane position for maximum safety. I have noticed it too. riding the centerline to the extreme with oncoming traffic and not yielding. It's about as stupid as tailgaiting to intimidate, which they also do. I had 12 bikes so close to the back of my sprinter on the way to Loudon during bike week that I could have taken out the entire group with the slightest brake check.

Last night I did find myself riding the double yellows for a good reason. No oncoming traffic, dusk, and Bambi had been seen IN the curves on a mountain road. OK, High beams and riding the centerline did make me feel a LOT safer. I had more time to see deer from either side, and more pavement to evade them to either side.

That's exactly the way I see the original post. They stay planted on that line....like it's a target for them to ride on. They do not yield to oncoming traffic at all.....

Got invited to a memorial ride by my neighbor (Harley rider). I said sure. Showed up as the only non-cruiser rider.

Holy shit, no organization. 50 bikes, some side by side, some staggered, some riding center lane.
    Then there was this one dude in front of me. The whole damn ride he rode on the double yellow.. I couldn't understand it. Were going 60MPH down Rt13 and hes about a foot from oncoming traffic. I was just waiting for his highway peg to get clipped.

I should have dipped down a side road shortly after the ride started. Stayed till the end though just shaking my head.

I still get invited every year but always seem to have something going on that day..

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

single lane = left 1/3 of the lane

2 lane:
    in the left lane =right 1/3 of the lane
    in the right lane = left 1/3 of the lane

3 lane :
    in the left lane =right 1/3 of the lane
    middle = 1/3 left and 1/3 right depending on the flow of traffic... Middle = blind to the left and right lanes
    in the right lane = Left 1/3 of the lane

Its all about visibility and putting yourself in the right spots. i think there is book about this... RITZ

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast