Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Riding without Gear

Riding without Gear

It's amazing to see how many people out there actually ride without any proctective gear on. During the last heat wave we had , people in cars were looking at me in disbelief because I was in full leathers. I lost track of how many times somebody asked my I was wearing full leathers in such heat. Yes I was a little hot in leathers during that time, but I had my Camel pack filled with powerade to help me stay hydrated. I can't even say how many bikes I have gone by during this summer where the rider was in a tee shirt and shorts. Having went down last season without any protective gear on, I made a vow that I'd never leave the house not suited up if I was riding. I have kept that vow especially when I am on the sport bike. Every now and then when I am on the the cruiser I am so tempted to saddle up in jeans and Tee shirt, so I can look like Billy Bad Ass cruising the streets with my 10in gunz ripping out of my T-Shirt. Anyway on the note, guys take each day of riding as the day that the worst could happen and dress accordingly.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Riding without Gear

Hi Alfred ... we met at Jay's when you fixed his rear cowl.

I ran into the same thing trying to convince my wife that it was OK to buy a bike. She works in a hospital and she preps and stays with the horror cases that are lifeflighted to Boston in order to help them breathe.

So for a year I asked her 3 questions ...

1. Was he drunk or high?

2. Was he doing something stupid?

3. Was he wearing full gear?

At the end of a year, only two cases surfaced.

One was a HD rider wearing leathers and chaps that hit a patch of sand and broke an arm. The other was a sportbike rider that lost his spleen when a car pulled out in front of him.

Even I was stunned at the result of those informal statistics.
    I am sure that there were more cause she doesn't work 24-7 but even I got the picture loud and clear.

Soap box over ...

You want to ride today? Shoot me a PM before 11:30

Riding without Gear

So.... either of you two riding?

I'm about to put the gear on and be out the door in a few.

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Riding without Gear

I hear ya, these people will learn soon. Everytime I go out riding nobody is wearing any gear let alone a helmet. I won't even wave back at those squids. LOSERS.

Riding without Gear

Originally posted by BLaZNKrON
    I hear ya, these people will learn soon. Everytime I go out riding nobody is wearing any gear let alone a helmet. I won't even wave back at those squids. LOSERS.

you a loser if you think your superior cause you wear gear

it's a choice and self assesed risk. the reasons you ride may not be the same

I've seen just as many squids wearing gear as not

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: Riding without Gear

Originally posted by alfred
    I can't even say how many bikes I have gone by during this summer where the rider was in a tee shirt and shorts.
    that was me i was wearing a helmet though

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Riding without Gear

Ive ridden without my gear. Im a lot more cautious when I dont have it and I wont puch my bike at all. If Im going for any longer ride (over 15min) or there is a chance Ill want to really get into the ride I will have it on. Is it smart to ride without gear? Maybe not as I see some people out there ripping down the highway at 100 with no gear but Ive seen a lot worse on bikes then just no gear. Seen a few fools stand up on their seat as they pass me in the opposite lane. Gear or not you are in for a lot of hurt if something goes wrong there.

James

Riding without Gear

Originally posted by RandyO

+1
    Seriously. Who cares what other people do. Doesn't make them losers...like saying anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt is a loser. If you're that concerned about being safe, don't hop on a motorcycle.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I was out 2-day in t-shirt & jeans ..

& No helmet around town, im a lot more cautious ...
    The time I got ran over , I was not even wearing glasses ..
    I got hurt & gear would not have helped ....
    I use gear 80 % of the time .
    Cause I want to ................................
    When im out for a spirted rip I wear my gear ........
    I dont wear shorts cause I got ugly white legs .Or flip flops, cause my feet stink .............I don't use seatbelts & have been pulled over . Statie opened the passenger door, I said im not wearing my seat belt .. He asked are you drunk . I told him fuck no .He closed me door & waved me on . I don't drink any more , but ive drove drunk . Ive been hammered & pissing in parking lot the cop told me to go home . I drove home ..

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Riding without Gear

I ride around in shorts and sneakers all the time.........(when watching the moto races at NHIS).

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Riding without Gear

sorry maybe I offended a few people. I love these people that say that they take it easy when they don't wear gear. Doesn't matter how easy you take it cuz anything can go wrong at anytime. I know its a personal choice but you gotta admit we risk our lives everytime we swing our leg over a bike, so why not try to limit the risks by protecting yourself. I have seen way too many people wreck without gear and get all banged up with road rash and crap that could have easily been safe if they were wearing leather when they slid across the street. Im not trying to be a gear nazi or nothing, just putting in my .02. But its those people who don't wear gear and protect themselves that give our sport a bad name. Just like that stupid football player who was in a rush and didn't have time to grab his helmet. But you guys are right, its a personal choice, just don't come on the internet crying that you had to have that road rash wire brushed off or skin taken off your ass to put on your arms cuz it was too hot out to wear a jacket. Thanks

Riding without Gear

Dude you live in Manchester NH. Riding gear in NH seems to be:

Tshirt
    Shorts
    Sneaker
    Backwards baseball cap

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Riding without Gear

Originally posted by rmbbikes
    Dude you live in Manchester NH. Riding gear in NH seems to be:

Tshirt
    Shorts
    Sneaker
    Backwards baseball cap

KB
    Thats a bit overdressed for Manchvegas dont you think?

My favorite thing was almost getting run down by some asshat on Mechanic St. as I was crossing the street and he decided then was a good time to do a wheelie, up the street with people in front of him, with both sides of the road lined with cars.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Riding without Gear

OK RandyO... Everytime someone posts that people should wear gear and they are stupid if they don't you post to the contary... What is the deal?

I recognize and support your right to do anything you god well please......

BUT

If you are trying to defend yourself because you are a squid who doesn't wear gear just come out and say it.

Then we can call you foolish to your face.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Riding without Gear

Originally posted by slaps76
    +1
    Seriously. Who cares what other people do. Doesn't make them losers...like saying anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt is a loser. If you're that concerned about being safe, don't hop on a motorcycle.
    Yep you ARE a loser if you don't wear a seatbelt!

Jesus people smarten up! Seatbelts save lives and wearing the proper gear at the VERY least will save your skin form exhaust burns.

I jump outta airplanes too but not without a parachute (with a reserve at that!!!

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Riding without Gear

I agree that gear is a requirement, but wearing gear is not a guarantee of avoiding injury. Some situations are not going to make much difference gear or not, avoiding that is really key.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Riding without Gear

Originally posted by BLaZNKrON
    sorry maybe I offended a few people. I love these people that say that they take it easy when they don't wear gear. Doesn't matter how easy you take it cuz anything can go wrong at anytime. I know its a personal choice but you gotta admit we risk our lives everytime we swing our leg over a bike, so why not try to limit the risks by protecting yourself. I have seen way too many people wreck without gear and get all banged up with road rash and crap that could have easily been safe if they were wearing leather when they slid across the street. Im not trying to be a gear nazi or nothing, just putting in my .02. But its those people who don't wear gear and protect themselves that give our sport a bad name. Just like that stupid football player who was in a rush and didn't have time to grab his helmet. But you guys are right, its a personal choice, just don't come on the internet crying that you had to have that road rash wire brushed off or skin taken off your ass to put on your arms cuz it was too hot out to wear a jacket. Thanks
    +1

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Riding without Gear

This topic is a dead issue.

Let those who ride decide!!

Doc lighten up man. It's a chioce not a requirement man.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Riding without Gear

I agree that gear is a choice. I used to get angry and self-righteous whenever I saw a squid sporting shorts and flip-flops. But, it's their choice. I used to do the same thing, many years ago...not any more.
    Natural selection will catch up with them.

LRRS#167

Riding without Gear

I'd say let the squids die, but my insurance rates go up because they can't slap on a helmet and some halfway decent gear.

Riding without Gear

I wear one of those annoying reflective puke green/yellow vests if I have no jacket on. But I only do that when it's over 90 and I can't stand it as I ride in the city. Gear always if I'm going faster than side streets and boots, gloves, helmet all the time.

I get SO much attention when wearing that vest. Man, it's embarrassing. And geeky as hell.

Riding without Gear

I was on the bike with the girlfriend yesterday, we were both wearing full gear head to toe. We were at a light, and traffic was stopped on the other side of the street too. Guy in the car next to me is just staring at us for a few minutes, and finally blurts out, "aren't you hot wearing all black today?"

Yes Captain Obvious, it's hot today. Thanks for your insightful question. Hate to say it, but he looked like a stereotypical Harley rider. I told him I'd rather be hot than bleed.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Riding without Gear

you fucking safety nazies can get a life and go back to SRNE

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Riding without Gear

Originally posted by rmbbikes
    This topic is a dead issue.

Let those who ride decide!!

Doc lighten up man. It's a chioce not a requirement man.

KB
    it took me a while to come to this realization but this is my rational as well.

even if it was a requirement, people should just worry about themselves.

Riding without Gear

Originally posted by slaps76

Yes Captain Obvious, it's hot today. Thanks for your insightful question. Hate to say it, but he looked like a stereotypical Harley rider. I told him I'd rather be hot than bleed.

Yeah, the one I always say is "Beats brain damage" or "Beats skin grafts". They just stare at me, waiting for more. Then I take off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast