Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riding Gear for the preppy worker

So for work I wear dress pants and a button up shirt. What is some riding gear that I can wear over my work clothes on the way to work? What about shoes? Just through the dress shoes in a backpack and wear my riding boots?

Mike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~ FTrain

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...t--505029.html

the safest would probably be to wear the boots and keep a set of shoes in the office....

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

That's exactly what I do. I wear my riding boots and take my shoes in my pack. I also wear my riding jacket of course. Gotta be safe, even if my ride in is only 15 minutes.

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

Re: Riding Gear for the preppy worker

Originally posted by ftrain
    So for work I wear dress pants and a button up shirt. What is some riding gear that I can wear over my work clothes on the way to work? What about shoes? Just through the dress shoes in a backpack and wear my riding boots?

Mike
    Here's what I did:

Bought a conservative looking (for a MC jacket anyhow) riding jacket.

Wear either hiking boots or A* full boots.

Have a spare set of shoes at work that go with everything.

I am wearing dockers which are nil protection unless it's a jeans day which I usually make self-appoint for myself every Friday. Jeans aren't much better than dockers in a crash at speed anyhow.

What I'd like to do now that I am hanging my saddlebags off the bike would be to find a pair of cargo pants that would be kevlar that are baggy enough that they can slip over my dress pants, and I can unload them in the parking lot and put into the bags. Something with a full size zipper, i.e. Chippendale style on-off convenence!

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

This has been an issue with me as well! I work in the corporate headquarters for my corporation (CEO, VP, CFO....basically all the upper executives of the company).

Now since I work in the headquarters, you have to dress professional Monday through Friday.

So I basically need pants to wear over my work pants, and I'll have to carry my work shoes in a backpack. I've looked at some Joe Rocket Pants that would fit over my pants and have the "chip and dale" style way of going on and off.

Now my problem is I work in the Information Technology field which means I have to carry a laptop with accessories on a daily basis to and from work, as well as hard drives, backup tapes, etc. Do you guys know of a special backback designed for motorcycle riders to keep objects secure from bouncing around like in a regular backpack?

for pants, get some textile overpants. i got some hein gerickes that are sweet. they have CE armor, and with the liner removed i can comfortably wear my dress pants underneath them.

Originally posted by BadBoyBilly

Now my problem is I work in the Information Technology field which means I have to carry a laptop with accessories on a daily basis to and from work, as well as hard drives, backup tapes, etc. Do you guys know of a special backback designed for motorcycle riders to keep objects secure from bouncing around like in a regular backpack?
    billy, see the post above this about pants. i'm in the same situation as you, i work out of the corporate IT office for our company and have to carry backup tapes every so often and maybe a laptop. i have an OGIO 2150 backpack that does the job well. it's a fairly decent size bag and has a sleeve specifically for a laptop or can be used for one of those water bladder things. it has a belt strap as well as a chest strap to keep the bag secure while riding. the bag also comes with a rain fly and has a small hole for running headphones through it. although recently, our data center has grown to the point where i have more backup tapes then i'd like to carry in my backpack.. the weight is too much. for that i also use a tankbag to distribute the load.

Thanks Bump!! I thought I was the only one on here with the issue.

I'm going to have to carry 13 LTO Gen 3 tapes, laptop, and AC adapter. Shouldn't be too bad.

How many tapes did you have to lug before calling it quits.

Keep all your clothes at work and ride nude!

My Name is Chrissy
    This is Jello

Have you hugged a corner today?

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by bump909
    our data center has grown to the point where i have more backup tapes then i'd like to carry in my backpack.. the weight is too much. for that i also use a tankbag to distribute the load.
    A *nonmagnetic* tank bag, right?

Lifer

I don't like to use my hard saddlebags but they are awesome for doing what you want.

I just got the Joe Rocket alter ego pants, they are just the thing for wearing over dress pants, and the zip-off vent is perfect for keeping the nice pants from getting sweaty.

Otherwise it sounds like you are all set besides pants.

I either bungie my laptop to the passenger seat or put it in the hardbags.

Having the hardbags is really key for this kind of thing, I keep shoes in my desk, when I get to work I take off my riding pants, put my helmet, gloves, pants, back protector, etc.. into one of the saddlebags, and take the laptop and/or gym bag out. I walk in looking no different then anyone else except for the boots, and then I just put on my dress shoes once I get to my desk. No one cares if I do walk in with the whole MC getup on but you do look a whole lot more normal when you can secure everything on the bike just like a car driver.

When it gets real hot I switch over to my mesh pants, then I have to go change in the bathroom but again no big deal.

Aerostitch RoadCrafter

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    A *nonmagnetic* tank bag, right?
    haha, oh yeah.. almost forgot to mention, make sure it's non magnetic! the one i have is an older one that uses straps, not sure if there's any other way. i also have a magnetic bag, but tapes don't go in that one.

Thanks Bump!! I thought I was the only one on here with the issue.

I'm going to have to carry 13 LTO Gen 3 tapes, laptop, and AC adapter. Shouldn't be too bad.

How many tapes did you have to lug before calling it quits.
    8.. now we're up to 14 and that's just too much shit to have strapped to your back. you could also look into a tailbag as well.

Lifer

Why are you carrying so many tapes back and forth from home? (Or is that between offices?)

i bring them home. it's our "cheap" solution to offsite storage.

Originally posted by benVFR
    Why are you carrying so many tapes back and forth from home? (Or is that between offices?)
    Its between offices. Our backup server is at a Verizon Datacenter in Billerica, MA and my office where Iron Mountain picks up the tapes is in Wellesley, MA.

Originally posted by bump909
    i bring them home. it's our "cheap" solution to offsite storage.
    Oh my god are you serious?!!?? I used to do that at my old job then we got audited internally and then by SOX (Sarbanes Oxley), and had to switch to an offsite dataprotection solution.

I just had to go through a SOX audit here at my new job and one of the requirements is to prove the tape backups for financial data is sent offsite.

I use combination of First Gear textiles.

Kilimanjaro jacket for rain and very cold days.
    HyperTex Air Mesh pants ... awesome commuter pants. good from 30 degrees to +100F because of the liner. I got the auxilary hip-protectors. Rainproof and windproof and cool to wear in hot weather without the liner.

Shoes I keep a pair under my desk and I wear motorcycle boots for the ride.

At first I got the robocop comments but after a month or so they now ignore me.

For the higher ups, I feed them a line of their BS back ... I am managing risk.

Originally posted by Currently
    I

For the higher ups, I feed them a line of their BS back ... I am managing risk.
    That's how a LOT of people would view me as well if I pulled in with a motorcyle. People are like that up at the corporate level in my office.

My boss had his resume on monster from a while back and forgot to make it non active, and someone in HR saw it and labeled him as a risk because they thougth he was looking for another job!!!

In my immediate department there are no bikers.

However, HR person rides a Shadow and two VP's ride cruisers.

Makes for interesting conversation during dog and pony shows.
    The VP asked me if I was dragging my knee yet last time I spoke with him!

Originally posted by Currently
    In my immediate department there are no bikers.

However, HR person rides a Shadow and two VP's ride cruisers.

Makes for interesting conversation during dog and pony shows.
    The VP asked me if I was dragging my knee yet last time I spoke with him!
    My last job we had about 30 motorcycle riders out of thr 150 employee's. I used to talk about bikes all day all the time, I loved it. The new job has about around 200 employees at my location and no one rides in, or no one rides period.

The only two differences between my old job and present is that my new job environment is 100% white collar, where as my old job was at an engineering/manufacturing facility with about 80% being blue collar.

I guess it comes with the territory.

Yup, 70% engineers and the rest administrative staff.

They laid off the entire manufacturing floor a couple of years back and moved it to Romania.

Future doesn't look too bright ... well, I'll just keep my eyes open.

Oh my god are you serious?!!?? I used to do that at my old job then we got audited internally and then by SOX (Sarbanes Oxley), and had to switch to an offsite dataprotection solution.

I just had to go through a SOX audit here at my new job and one of the requirements is to prove the tape backups for financial data is sent offsite.
    quite serious.. are you saying that bringing the tapes home was not deemed acceptable at your old job? i'm all for iron mountain as a solution, but they are fucking expensive. i can see why they have us bring the tapes home. i only do it on weeknights every two weeks anyways. thankfully i'm not part of the weekend rotation.

Yes both my old and new jobs required us to do it. The SOX auditors even asked for our Iron Mountain manifest sheets for proof we were sending tapes out.

Reason why a house is unacceptable is because of the risks, (theft, fire, water....etc). Where as an IM facility is highly protected from many types of disasters. You probably know this anyways being in the same line of work.

It think it all depends on what your requirements are. If you're just like backing up engineering data for expirements, then taking home the tapes are probably cool, but if you're taking home corporate financial data to your house, that will def throw up a red flag with SOX if you get audited by them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast