Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Riding jacket/pants or suit recommendations

Lifer

Riding jacket/pants or suit recommendations

I'm looking for a new textile, three season set of gear for this season. I have a number of multi-day trips in the works for May - Aug and want to upgrade. I'm looking at everything from 'stitch to the stuff on RevZilla and it is a "bewildering array" of choices.

To provide some specifics, I'm 55, 5'11" 200lbs and I'm riding a Homda F6b with the thought that it may turn into an Africa Twin. The riding is normally straight distance to get away from home, I've done a SS1000, and then a few days of 300 mile touring days before heading home.

I'm looking for ease of use as I change layers to adapt to the weather, all day comfort while on the bike, good durability and crash protection.

Space for dong patches would be nice, but not mandatory. ;>}

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Riding jacket/pants or suit recommendations

I'm partial to Rev'It, so something like the Tornado 2 jacket might fit the bill. If you need a more "American" cut, maybe a Tourmaster Flex 3?

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

beware of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) it's only a step away and very contagious.

I have several sets of gear at this point and still yet to find something I can use 3 seasons. Klim supposedly makes that type of gear, about $900-1500 for top and bottom, I probably spent more than that already trying to find cheaper solution.

Tried cheap one piece, in theory it worked the best (Tourmaster) but it started leaking immediately and after few month was just total shite, still warm but not at all waterproof.

Aerostich supposedly waterproof but it also leaks, more with age, and cost as much as Klim, so for the money Goretex Klim seems like batter choice.

My summer gear is perf Leather Vanson, cheap Klim pants and Frog Toads stashed under the seat, worked for many thousands of miles, FL to NS, only PITA is changing conditions, "gear on - gear off" drill gets old quickly

I have a Tourmaster Transitions 2 set that I have beat to shit for the better part of 8 years. Finally killed the zipper on the jacket. Pretty good kit for the money.
    My sweet wife bought me a Macna Somethingorother jacket a couple years ago. I love love love that jacket. It covers all conditions well and fits nice. Looks nice. Has great armor and pockets.

The Macna stuff is worth the money in my book. Take a look. Twisted Throttle sells it.

I'm partial to the onesies, for convenience, and it also forces you to ATGATT, since to don't have the option to wear only the jacket or the pants.
    I also have a problem with the Gear Acquisition Syndrome - I have a Stich roadcrafter one-piece, an Olympia Odyssey (hi-viz textile onesie), and an Olympia Avenger (hi-viz mesh/textile onesie). I also had an older Teiz Lombard onesie that I gave to my brother. (All purchased secondhand for less than new)

-The Aerostich feels the most protective and most durable, but is the total opposite of stylish and it's very hot above 85 F or so. Aerostich will repair/upgrade their suits if you mail them in, there's plenty of stories of them lasting 20 years.
    -The Odyssey an an all-weather textile suit, the armor isn't as big but it comes with a CE back pad, but it seems fairly durable, and isn't as quick and easy to get in/out of as the Stich. More venting than the Stich though, and sometimes I prefer wearing it over the Aerostich because I'll be riding at dusk and the hi-viz is great.
    -The Avenger is a summer-only suit since it's largely mesh, so it doesn't give as much confidence that it would hold up as well in a crash, so I only wear it the hottest days. Also smaller armor and a CE back pad, but it's very nice in the heat.
    -The Teiz Lombard had some really neat features for the money, such as good venting, a CE back pad, a stowaway rain hood, and a removable thermal liner. Similar zipper arrangements as the Aerostich, except the main zipper was opposite, it zips closed bottom-to-top, as opposed to top-to-bottom. I only wore it for one or two rides, but I preferred the Stich top-to-bottom zipper. There's a big Teiz thread on ADV and the owner has been active on the forum and there's been improvements through the new versions.

I'm about the same size as you, if you wanted to check any of them out in person. The Olympia and Teiz are size L, the Stich is a 46S.
    If I was going to shop for one all-weather suit, I'd be strongly considering the Teiz PowerShell, that's their top of the line one-piece. Teiz Motorsports, Custom Motorcycle Apparel

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 02-24-16 at 10:48 PM.

Stitch for the win on this one. The new ones are liner-less, they don't have the issues with "aerostich crotch" and you can get them custom fit.
    Aside from them being just about the nerdiest thing you can put on your body, they're really the tits. Quick and easy in and out, function and protection for days.
    Ripper approved.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I got a matching pair of Tourmaster in perfect condition. The pants were worn once. The jacket a couple times. Pants are black and the jacket is silver and black. I am 5'10" and 200 pounds. So it should fit good. Room for patches too. 200 bucks firm.

If you go jacket, ive been incredibly happy with my Flex 3 for years now.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I've had a Firstgear Kilimanjaro 2 piece suit for 15 years. Incredible warmth, and also excellent ventilation/ removable liner for warmer weather. Absolutely waterproof, and although I have not crashed in it, it seems well made and rugged. The only issues in 15 yrs have been a pocket liner tearing out from repeatedly over stuffing it. I've used it snowmobiling as well.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I suffer from GAS.

I now realize I should have just stuck with the Tourmaster Transition jacket. That and Olympia have been the best all around jackets I've tried. I have Revit, too, and the waterproof removable inner liner is OK til the outer gets soaked, then it can take days for the outer to dry out. Also, the Revit jackets have those flacid inner pockets that require two or three hands to negotiate. So look at the pockets, too. Plus I pack a Tourmaster Defender two-piece rain suit for longer rides.

And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

Aerostich Roadcrafter gets two thumbs up from me : http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ted-86027.html

I love mine. Geeky as can be and pretty pricey. But worth it.

2 piece zipped together is 9/10ths as useable as the onesie while being 2x as versatile. I have the wet crotch. I have a hard time believing any of the suits don't leak. Get all the padding you can. Suit literally saved my ass. I've ridden it everywhere from dirt to ice to touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Stitch for the win on this one. The new ones are liner-less, they don't have the issues with "aerostich crotch" and you can get them custom fit.
    Aside from them being just about the nerdiest thing you can put on your body, they're really the tits. Quick and easy in and out, function and protection for days.
    Ripper approved.
    good to hear that Aerostitch has solved the wet crotch issue, that was my only complaint about my Roadcrafter as a 3 season suit,

ever since my 'stitch shrunk , then I broke a zipper, I have not sent it in for repair yet until I get my weight back down.

In the meantime, I have tried a couple different lower cost alternatives, what I have learned is Joe Rocket is junk

First Gear is good value, the HT pants and Jacket I had were ok, I love my Kilimanjaro jacket and Kathmandu pants

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I had the joe rocket onsie, and I found it worked pretty well. The fit was just off for me, and the convenience of the stich was the only real reasons I went that direction.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Stich convenience grows on you. The 59284 geeky pockets. One day you're like "geezers dig the weirdest things man". The next you're like "OMG why isn't there a stich-style breast pocket on my pj's".

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Stich convenience grows on you. The 59284 geeky pockets. One day you're like "geezers dig the weirdest things man". The next you're like "OMG why isn't there a stich-style breast pocket on my pj's".
    the armpit vents allow good access for a pillion to keep hands warm on yer electrics on a winter ride

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I think my next will be a stich. All done up fancy style like Bubs. I may as well go full retard.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

One thing I don't like about the Stich is that the zippers run down the inside of the legs, and when the suit is on, the zipper tabs are at the inside of your ankles. This leads to scuffing on the frame and rearsets of the bike. I've been meaning to see a neoprene flap over it, but never got around to it. Some pics here Aerostich Roadcrafter leg zipper scratching bike | Adventure Rider

Firstgear kilamanjaro user here as well. Very nice for the money. I got mine for under 200, but then prices spiked. The "liner" is actually a nice jacket to wear out on the town!

Paul_E_D

Lifer

I have much bigger problems in this world than some scratches on the side of the frame of my motorcycle. YMMV here.

I make this look gooooood!

Harley guy who took this for me thought I was a total doofus for wearing "all that crap".

(Note water bottle in absurdly useful pockets. Jerky was in the other pocket. Nom nom.)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yeah, I hear ya on the Harley Guys. Got shit from a old geezer on a slow hunk of crap at WhiteHorse on bike weekend this year.

Laughing at me "Man, aren't you hot in all that shit?" as I am visibly sweating.

"Yes"

The conversation got even stupider from there.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Firstgear kilamanjaro user here as well. Very nice for the money. I got mine for under 200, but then prices spiked. The "liner" is actually a nice jacket to wear out on the town!
    I think I paid about the same, and another 200 for the pants - back in 2001 when I bought a new TL1000R!

Lifer

Thanks for all of this so far, keep it coming.

The lure of the such is strong, I've had one in the past.

I generally agree about first gear and Olympia being good values.

The stuff I'm not familiar with is the other higher end stuff, rev it, Klim, etc.

Lifer

I have some mid-grade Klim stuff I bought on clearance for dirtybiking. It's okay. The higher shelf stuff is better protective wise. But overall I'm not impressed. I've seen a couple Klim jackets that cost damned near Aerostich money get completely housed in a simple lowside. On one hand it did its job and kept the rider safe. On the other the jacket was done, throw it away. My 'stich survived my off way better. Google around and there are a lot of stories like mine. The gear is ugly and expensive, but very well thought out and rugged as can be.

IMO I would go with something cheaper like the newer Icon stuff (reportedly quite nice) before a Klim.

If you have the pockets that deep : go 'stich.
    If you don't and are okay with a one and done jacket : go with something cheaper.

Lifer

One thing I do like about the 'stich is the variety of what I can wear underneath, everything from shorts and a t shirt to thermal layers to work clothes.

If I decide to go one piece, this will probably be it, for jacket and pants there are other good options.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    One thing I do like about the 'stich is the variety of what I can wear underneath, .
    Maybe I should get one for dirty riding. I could go commando underneath.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast