Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Riding jacket/pants or suit recommendations

Lifer

Re: Riding jacket/pants or suit recommendations

Been there, done that.

I'm telling you, skip the onesie and go for the 2 piece. Takes 0.4939 seconds longer to zip up because of the 2-piece zipper, but is infinitely more versatile. Guy in my office has worn 'stiches for like 12 years. He just replaced his 10 year old suit with a new one when the old one was finally falling apart. The twosie is just as easy to step in/out of.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Maybe I should get one for dirty riding. I could go commando underneath.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Been there, done that.
    Giving a whole new meaning to 'stich crotch. I fear this might go the way of the lawsuit against Corbin for priapism.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

I just bought a Dainese Sandstorm jacket from Paul @ SSC. They are having a 20% off all apparel tomorrow. I would say its worth the trip for you. Plus, it's tax free NH! Thanks again Paul for the great customer service and attention to detail.

Last edited by Trajiks9; 02-26-16 at 04:34 PM.
    🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

I bought myself a motoport two piece last year.
    I think I've ridden in just about everything from 20F to 95F.
    Parking lot crashed it at Thompson outside the instructors meeting.
    It's weird putting the waterproof liner on the inside, but I've been in pretty heavy rain and it hasn't leaked.
    I'm with Colin. A one-piece would make a great second suit.
    After you get the two-piece .

Quite surprised there is no love for Klim here, all my dirty ADV friends love theirs. Not much feedback on pavement crashes but my personal experience is quite positive, having low-sided last summer at Deals Gap I got away with scuffs on Vanson jacket and small tear on the Knee of the cheap Klim Dakar pants, still using them, damage is cosmetic. I can't count how many get-offs in the dirt, had those pants for 3+ years now, been using year round street ad woods, rode over 20,000 miles in them

I've been happy with my Klim (Latitude Misano) stuff so far. It's seen some mileage and basically 3 season weather. I went from sweating like a pig to having the heated gear cranked on the same trip last fall wearing it. Both extremes were on the slightly uncomfortable side but short of carrying a mesh jacket to stay cool such is life. I'll trade the protection for sweat and don't have the space to carry multiple jackets with me on the long trips. You can get the Klim stuff cheap sometimes on sale or on ADV.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Aerostitch stuff and probably will come replacement time though. It definitely crashes much better and looks to be a better overall value for the money all things considered. The crash Colin had would have destroyed the Klim stuff and I'm not so sure he would have just popped right up had he been wearing Klim instead.

I tried the First Gear Kilamanjaro stuff and returned it. I thought it was poorly made and didn't fit me worth a damn. I was very disappointed in it, especially after reading the online reviews on it.

Last edited by e30addict; 02-27-16 at 09:51 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I'm almost certain to get a Aerostich one-piece next time I have some money to spare.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

Just looking at Klim on Revzilla, pic attached

Riding jacket/pants or suit recommendations-klim-jpg

The "air" line will run as much as a 'stich and the "rally" line is in the freaking stratosphere.

In addition, I've owned Firstgear and Olympia and while they are good values at the price point, they aren't at the quality level of this gear. I have a workable Olympia mesh with liner 3 season jacket and pants and I've used it on week long tours, but the protection factor isn't what I'm looking for in my next suit. I've also got my beloved, 1998 vintage Vanson jacket that I bought the first year I started riding, way back when they were still in Stoughton, MA. and it is perfect for the jacket/jeans riding.

I think I'm going to go 'stich and be done with it.

Lifer

I bought a Rev'it! Sand suit second hand 6 years ago and have worn it A LOT. It is my go to textile. Has three layers, very warm in our winter and vents relatively well. I once went to Americade from Boston and rode back in torrential rain pour (2 hours worth!). The suit kept me dry. Rev'it! hydratext or whatever it is called in my opinion is just as good as goretex from venting perspective and waterproof aspect. I honestly don't see the point of spending double that for their top of the line stuff. My two cents...

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Want sticker shock? Price out a motoport set!

I'm hearing good things about the ARC house brand Rocky Mountain is carrying now. And the new Icon ADV styled line. Although I don't think either is going to measure up to what you're after.

Hate to say it, but sounds like you want a Roadcrafter.

I too have a leather jacket for jeans and jacket days. Still advocate the twosie Roadcrafter. Handy when you're at work and want to take a quick run for lunch w/o the pans. Or if you're traveling somewhere. The only downside is that you can ditch the pants and cruise around in just the jacket. The onesie enforces the ATTGATT way of whatever.

I may spring for a Vanson jacket myself this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I'm almost certain to get a Aerostich one-piece next time I have some money to spare.

PhilB
    Take my stuff. Ride the beemer in the rain. The cold. If you like the stuff mail me a check when you get some spare jingle. If you don't like it get it back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
    Quite surprised there is no love for Klim here, all my dirty ADV friends love theirs. Not much feedback on pavement crashes but my personal experience is quite positive, having low-sided last summer at Deals Gap I got away with scuffs on Vanson jacket and small tear on the Knee of the cheap Klim Dakar pants, still using them, damage is cosmetic. I can't count how many get-offs in the dirt, had those pants for 3+ years now, been using year round street ad woods, rode over 20,000 miles in them
    My Klim gear has not stood the test. I can't wear out my Thor MX pants. I haven't had to replace them. Ever. Klim pants are tattered after 3-4 seasons. THey are kinda like luxury jeans vs carhartts or something.

Paul_E_D

I can't remember the last time I rode in jeans. Guess the wunsy is the way to go for me.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I've had good luck with Dainese. Never crashed them, but they are comfy, warm, and versatile. I think you can't really go wrong with any of the better gear on the market. Find something that fits you and fits your needs.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I think my next will be a stich. All done up fancy style like Bubs. I may as well go full retard.
    I went full retard in 1998 and have sent it in twice for repairs/maintenance. It's been through 3 minior crashes and one major crash, and is still going strong. Big thumbs up for a the 'Stich one-piece. Wish it did not leak though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I got a set of Alpinestars Oxygen Air Overpants last year that I'm pretty fond of. They're warm enough that you can easily ride down to about 45-50 degrees without issue, but still has enough airflow to ride in the hot days with a pair of shorts underneath.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I went full retard in 1998 and have sent it in twice for repairs/maintenance. It's been through 3 minior crashes and one major crash, and is still going strong. Big thumbs up for a the 'Stich one-piece. Wish it did not leak though.
    I've heard rumblings that the new version doesn't make you piss your pants. Do you have any knowledge about which version/model that is?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

The R3 is reported to be non-leaking

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I honestly think it is wishful thinking from the Aerostich faithful. I was warned before I bought "they all leak, get over it". I believed the hype that my "new style zipper" suit would not. It does.

Still not a reason to pass on the suit. Excellent protection that is damned easy to live with every day. The suit is infinitely worth it.

Although I suppose that's a reason to go with a onesie: the "new and improved R-3" design is only available as a onesie. Twosies like mine are now called "classic".

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Late to this party, but I have been very impressed with my new Gerbings jacket and pants combo. Removable heated liners (heated gear is the secks), and have ridden it from low-30's thru mid-70's. Plus, it's wayyyyy cheaper than a 'stich or the alternatives discussed earlier.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Take my stuff. Ride the beemer in the rain. The cold. If you like the stuff mail me a check when you get some spare jingle. If you don't like it get it back to me.
    Thanks, but I've got my odd assortment that works well enough. New gear is a ways down on the list, after (probably soon) a new sprag clutch for the bike, a working 2nd car, some dental work, getting a working studio built in the barn for my wife, completing the upgrade on the barn's foundation, buying a small tractor, etc. etc.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I took a leap of faith with the Teiz suit a couple years back for commuting back and forth to work, and its awesome.

Ive been tempting to get something nicer.

At this point I have narrowed it down to one of the higher end teiz suits, I really like the ICON raiden line, but I'm afraid that it probably runs huge. as I'm a tiny bastard.

I know the original post specified textile, but if you're willing to consider leather (and willing to pay for it), I can't say enough good things about the Aerostich Transit 2 suit. I bought one last year and it changed the way I ride. It offers near-track-level protection (I say "near" only because its armor is easier to live with every day than some of the track-specific stuff), it's comfortable, and it's completely waterproof. Plus it's easy to put on over street clothes, which means I'll ride to work even when it's raining. For touring it's awesome because there's no need to stop and put on rain gear.

As of last year, the Gore-Tex-bonded leather the suit is made out of ceased production, so the existing inventory of Transit suits is the last available. But when I checked out of curiosity recently, most sizes were still available.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I shopped ski gear this year. Gore-tex is falling hugely out of favor. Almost every outerwear maker has their own equivalent now. I'm not surprised the material isn't available anymore. I also wouldn't be surprised if they find another, just as good material and continue to make the Transit suits.

I wouldn't go all Gore-tex or naught anymore.

My issue with the Transit is that it is like traditional gear; pants and a jacket. The pants especially are much harder to get on and off in a hurry. The Roadcrafter is a better commuter setup. Step in, zip up, go. The neck to ankle zipper really does make for an easy to live with suit.

For a fairly reasonable price I've been very very happy with an Olympia ranger pants and jacket. I've done a ton of touring in all temps and weather, very happy.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast