Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Riding jacket/pants or suit recommendations

Re: Riding jacket/pants or suit recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Aerostich Transit 2 suit
    That's about 2.5 motorcycles for me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My issue with the Transit is that it is like traditional gear; pants and a jacket. The pants especially are much harder to get on and off in a hurry. The Roadcrafter is a better commuter setup. Step in, zip up, go. The neck to ankle zipper really does make for an easy to live with suit.

True, there's pretty much nothing else that goes on and off as quickly as a Roadcrafter. But the Transit is pretty quick too -- side zippers on the legs make it possible to step in and out of the pants easily.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

Roadcrafter 1 pieces R3 in gray/black has been ordered in 44R.

It'll force me to loose a few pounds, which is a good thing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 03-12-16 at 01:26 PM.

I'll be waiting for a full review after you get some miles in it!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Careful. They shrink.

I've had a Firstgear Rainier and HT Overpants 2-piece suite for a bazillion years - even before Dtrumpf was mostly orange.

The jacket is 100% waterproof because it has a waterproof zip-in liner. I've ridden in all-day gully washers and stayed bone dry. It must be the same liner as Paul_E_D's because it's actually a decent-looking summer-weight jacket by itself. But only if your idea of decent-looking is a 1980s vintage Members Only jacket.

The Rainier is a great 3-season jacket. The seasons are from late summer to early summer. It's even somewhat tolerable in the dead of summer as long as you're moving. It has tons of pockets, shitty armor (or pockets for good armor, depending on your perspective), decent venting for the heat, and I've ridden through several winters in it. Temps in the 20s is easy-peasy, teens isn't difficult with the right layering and I've done single digits more than once. I love this jacket. It's one fault is that it's black and gray, stylish but invisible.

The pants are good for cold weather but I'm not as impressed with them. Marketed as water-proof, an extended down-pour left me looking like I pissed myself. Great conversation starter. The manufacturing quality on the jacket was excellent, the pants were meh. But it looks like they've gotten much better since 15+ years ago.

I just ordered this Firstgear TPG Expedition Suit from motorcyclegear.

My justification was it would be better for commuting than a 2-piece, but really it's just GAS. A well-reviewed 1-piece suit for $269? It's not available at that price in canary yellow, but for that price I'll wear my MSF dork-vest when necessary. Hmmm, $269 for this, or $1200+ for a 'Stitch?

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Lifer

Hey, thanks for the thread crap.

You're welcome.

Assuming you meant me with your thread crap comment - didn't mean to shit on your decision to go with a 'stitch, but realize now it came off that way.

Anyway, I added my gear review because there were several other product reviews in the thread and if others were looking for gear I thought no harm in adding my .02, even if a bit late. I'd probably buy a 'stich except for my damn Scottish heritage (that's what my wife always blames for my penny pinching).

Last edited by oVTo; 03-12-16 at 06:24 PM. Reason: making excuses for being a dick
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

I just went to an Aerostich "pop-up event" here in St. Louis, and got fitted for an R3 Roadcrafter. It's not in the budget to buy right now, but now I have the exact info to order one when I do have the spending money for it.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I have a Tour Master Jett 2 jacket and previously had a Tour Master Intake Air 3 jacket. It's great for c-c-cold or wet weather and I love the fit and the look, but the velcro closures at the wrists and the collar quickly lose their secure fastening. That strikes me as bad design, and I wouldn't buy their stuff again.

Last edited by BlueBiker; 03-13-16 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Specified models

Lifer

I'm sure there are better values in 1 piece textile suits than the 'stich when you are on the motorcycle. I'm not sure there are better 1 piece textile suits to be wearing if circumstances cause you to suddenly not be on the motorcycle.

I've owned a lot of textile gear from 'stich to Olympia ASP to Fieldsheer to Olympia Air-glide and the only thing that makes me feel as crash worth as my Vanson leather was the 'stich.

Lifer

I think "value" is the wrong word to use there. High price does not mean low value. Nor does low price mean high.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think "value" is the wrong word to use there. High price does not mean low value. Nor does low price mean high.
    This. There are certainly lower prices available. But I ride a lot, and I tend in general to keep things for a long time. So I'm willing to pony up the money to get top quality that will last a long time. For example, when I bought my Monster, there were plenty of bikes available that offered better value, but I can't think of any of them that I would still be riding 22 years later. I got the bike I really wanted, even though it was expensive, and I'm glad I did. That's my general MO -- buy good stuff, use it forever.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

I think of value as worth/price, and worth is how well something meets my requirements. A simple example is the Firstgear suit I just bought is sold elsewhere for $650. The same suit at $270 is a higher value. I haven't tried it on yet, so maybe it's not worth $650 or even $270 and I'll have to return it. I'll find out this week.

Value gets more complicated when comparing similar but different products, because now you have to compare the worth of the differences between many product features, and you have to make assumptions about some of the features. How much more is 500 denier fabric worth than 450 denier, or how much better will type 'X' armor Vs. type 'Y' protect you in a crash? Is more zippered ventilation good (to keep you cool) or bad (because the suit is less likely to stay 100% waterproof)? Not always easily answered questions.

Using the example of how long a suit will last as a requirement - how much more is a suit worth that lasts 20 years versus one that lasts ten? For some people, having gear that will last 15-20 years is worth a lot. If I get ten+ years out of a riding jacket, I'm satisfied. It met my requirements. Why 10 years instead of 20? The features of the jacket I bought 7-8 years ago (which is still in great condition) are vastly superior to the features of the jacket I bought 20 years ago. Better material, ventilation, armor, liner, it's a more comfortable jacket over a wider range of temperatures and protects me better. It even has better pockets. Maybe suits made for street riding ten years from now will have airbags like the Dainese D-Air or other injury reduction features not yet discovered, or maybe someone will develop a system for maintaining core temp (hot & cool) that's built into a suit for better comfort. Who knows? I understand having a requirement that a suit should last for 20 years, but it's not one of my requirements.

I'm not putting the Aerostitch down. I think they make great gear. The 'stitch is the gold standard for motorcycle suits - durable, feature-rich, excellent customer service, with custom sizing, style setting (for this category of gear), great branding, and it's American made. Those are all great features, and they meet the requirements of many riders who ride a lot. The suits clearly are worth a lot, so they can charge a premium price and still be a great value. For some riders.

But many riders have different requirements and will find equal or better value from lower priced options. The best thing is that there are so many options available most everyone can find something that meets their requirements at a reasonable price.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

Lifer

Exactly.

Although if I get 10 years out of my 'stich, I'll be pleased. 20 is not gonna happen. No way. Not the way I beat up on my gear. As it is the 'stich should have gone back again this winter. But I was too busy wearing it.

Lifer

Aerostich just quoted me 8-9 weeks for a non custom suit.

Lifer

Yeah. They are not instant turnaround and do not keep a huge inventory. Buyer should definitely be aware of that.
    Although I seem to remember being quoted longer than it actually took.

Lifer

Better news!

One email and they were able to commit to 4-5 weeks, which is more like what I expected.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Are you sure on your size? They shipped me a "close but not what you want" suit to test fit knowing full well I'd be sending it right back. Confirmed what I wanted/needed including alterations and such. I also spent some time wearing the test suit sitting on the bike in the garage with them on the phone.

If I'm ever in a place where I can get them to measure me I will as I am very curious how that process goes. The phone help wasn't as helpful as I had expected it to be. But then I got a great fitting suit in the end.. so.

Lifer

Yes on the size.

I hade the same size for 5 years and if I get back to my proper weight it'll fit great.

I just found out about this recently, but Aerostich has what they call "pop-up" events, where they set up a tent or inhabit a vacant stripmall space for a few days, and you can go get fitted. They just had one here in St. Louis, and I went and tried on some of the different suits, and got fitted and measured for one. So now I know what I want, what size to order, and what alterations will make it fit perfectly. They have the schedule for these events on their website; if you're interested in their products, take a look and see if one happens to pop up near you.

PhilB

Lifer

From what I've seen, those pop-ups are rarely in our area. Nor are they well publicized. One of these days I'll be somewhere and have the opportunity. But for most of us it isn't a viable option.

Lifer

I also just ordered an R3. 44S. Hi-Viz.

Will post up thoughts once I get it.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

I love my Scorpion Commander jacket. its probably 5 years old and i got it for $150 a couple years after introduction.
    Scorpion XDR Commander Jacket Review - webBikeWorld

the commander II for $250 now a days as the previous version if yo can find your size. Error

A must is a storm collar!!!!!!

i'm sure there is a newer version now.
    Scorpion Yukon Motorcycle Jacket
    Scorpion Yukon Motorcycle Jacket | Motorcycle | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...TY0aAk5H8P8HAQ

Macna has a great line as well. I paid a bit for the pant but it was well worth it!

If you want to check it out swing on by. I have the XL 5'-10" 175-190# remove the quilted liner (Not the winter) and substitute it with the heated Tourmaster liner.

Last edited by nt650hawk; 03-18-16 at 08:05 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I bought a used transit 2 piece based on Duc daves recommendation
    I have a feeling this will be the last gear I will buy for a long time.
    Very happy with it.
    Really liking the complete waterproofnes of it

eat me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast