Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

how do you trailer you Dirtbike/ bike

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

how do you trailer you Dirtbike/ bike

I've always seemed to have a struggle with this (except when I had a kendon)
    Not looking to buy aything new like that. Trying to update my do it all5 x 8 landscape trailer on a budget

Have a trip to PA and bringing 2 dirtbikes

My front always seems to slide a bit so I'm thinking this, cheap removeable but I cant find anything other than this online.
    http://https://www.speedaddicts.com/...BoCCDYQAvD_BwE

As for the rears I've always done the ratchet strap
    like the first pic flat perpendicular to the rear wheel but also get a some wandering of the rear tire and i adjust but cant seem to get it tight enough

i'm trying this https://www.amazon.com/MOTO4U-Univer...s%2C110&sr=8-1 but with 2 bike, a d ring in the middle.

any suggestions appreciated... have straps more towards the rear vs perpendiculat etc..

Id like to get some more fancy options like this.https://www.amazon.com/Risk-Racing-0...7-857e17e03685
    but not in the cards right now.

Also cant do the bike on the hitch.. Tried it...... almost busted my rear window out taking it off, not worth the riskhow do you trailer you Dirtbike/ bike-dscn1038s-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by black; 03-20-23 at 10:32 AM.
    hmmmm......

Lifer

Re: how do you trailer you Dirtbike/ bike

God lord man. Step up and get a chock for the front.

https://www.harborfreight.com/collec...ock-69026.html

Then e-track strips on the side.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ft-h...ack-66726.html

With coupons or a sale it can done for under a hundred. You can get a cheaper wheel chock and do it all for about 50.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That’s almost as bad as a Harley owner’s strap job.

I’ll look in my shed this weekend and see if I have any old chocks I can give you to help. I may have a pair that you can use. Simple HF ones.

Lifer

If he was closer I would give him one of mine. I bought way to many.

I have only ever used 4 straps, one off each corner, with the soft side around something structural on the bike. Not as easy as a specialized system like pitbull but I'm not trailering bikes enough for it to matter. I have a Baxley sport chock that will stand up a bike while I secure it. Never had any issues on my 5x8 trailer. If you wanted to borrow the chock your more than welcome to it, I'm right off the highway.

The previous owner installed two of these on my 4x8 trailer
    https://www.amazon.com/Motorsport-Pr.../dp/B071RXKDJR
    I don’t think I ever used them so I can’t give my personal input, but reviews are good.

Kyle R (@itgbudeev) has a neat setup on his dirtbike trailer where he DIY’ed something like this
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljx07G1enfA
    He has two strips of E-track installed on his trailer underneath the footpegs, and he has an E-track clip with a 12” long piece of flat bar steel attached to it, the bar goes through the footpegs and a cotter pin goes through a hole in the bar above the pegs to keep it in place.

Have a couple of chocks actually. Just move a ton of stuff where they'd be in the way.
    Didn't want to keep drilling screws.
    Got to be some simple easy on/offs

Lifer

Mount the chocks to a small sheet of plywood so you can drop it in and lift it out. With your v nose it will hold tight to the front if you cut it right.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Have a couple of chocks actually. Just move a ton of stuff where they'd be in the way.
    Didn't want to keep drilling screws.
    Got to be some simple easy on/offs
    I have a couple chocks that mount to the floor with two wingnut equipped bolts so they can come in/out easily.

They weren't expensive IIRC.

These guys:

https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-110.../dp/B000VD5V5K

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I use chocks with clevis pins through the trailer deck; large diameter washers on top of the chock and below the deck, and R-clips under the deck. The chock doesn’t need to be fastened super tight since the bike will still be strapped down.

great... thx guys
    appreciate it.

IDK why somehting this simple I'm totally whiffing on.

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    I use chocks with clevis pins through the trailer deck; large diameter washers on top of the chock and below the deck, and R-clips under the deck. The chock doesn’t need to be fastened super tight since the bike will still be strapped down.
    Yeah, I don't even secure my chock to the trailer. The weight of the bike and downward pressure from the straps holds it. I always meant to make it set up like Matt described but never got around to it.

Commit to Pitbull TRS and never look back

Buy it, use it and then sell it whenever later for nearly what you paid for it while enjoying the benefits in the meantime.

If I did things over again, I would buy a cheap truck and just haul whatever bike in the bed.

If not that, I would do Pitbull TRS on a HF trailer. The Kendon was great, but obviously it's only good for trailering bikes

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

i'm building out a 5x8 enclosed v-nose right now and went with e-track on floor + AKT Fat Straps to the pegs ... similar to the Risk Lock-N-Load method of securing. you could do something similar for pretty cheap by using e-track o-rings and reg tie-downs.

i'm not done with the mounting systems yet, need to add plates for the e-track under the floor, but it's pretty stout as is using every screw hole and no chock needed.

also going to do either vinyl or bedliner floor and paint walls ... heading down to NC to ride next month.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    this is what i do on my 4x8 trailer.

Don't have a better picture right now of just the TRS but love the utility of it and being able to transfer bikes between trailers after just having more mount plates with ease

For the car trailer I use the Grom as a pitbike or local round about vehicle when I'm trailering and don't feel like unhooking trailer.

As you can see I wouldn't have much room for for extra straps in the tight quarters already

I absolutely love the system and will swear by it. Never have to stop and retighten anything either and never scared of finding a bike on a side after traveling

how do you trailer you Dirtbike/ bike-hyuczd5-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i'm building out a 5x8 enclosed v-nose right now and went with e-track on floor + AKT Fat Straps to the pegs ... similar to the Risk Lock-N-Load method of securing. you could do something similar for pretty cheap by using e-track o-rings and reg tie-downs.

i'm not done with the mounting systems yet, need to add plates for the e-track under the floor, but it's pretty stout as is using every screw hole and no chock needed.

also going to do either vinyl or bedliner floor and paint walls ... heading down to NC to ride next month.

Awesome! What keeps the bikes from moving fore/aft with that setup?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Awesome! What keeps the bikes from moving fore/aft with that setup?
    both ends of the suspension get compressed directly down just a bit, bikes are nice and sturdy. for long hauls like the trip next month, i'll throw some extra tie-downs to the e-track. pretty damn solid without though. mostly for my bike and the 65, the 50 doesn't really budge it's so light.

i never tie a bike down with excess force or with ratchets, this setup has even less pressure on suspension. super impressed so far + crazy quick to load/unload.

EDIT: regarding fore/aft movement, i think having the AKT straps so wide helps as well. solid mount from wide peg hold > wide strap > wide e-track mount.

Last edited by typeone; 03-20-23 at 05:57 PM.
    Beta 200RR

rides bikes

I've got a HF chock you can have if you're willing to come to Salem MA and grab it.

There are a few companies that make things like this: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Widow-M...98459994&psc=1

I like them a lot in my pickups because you get great tie down points. Could work in your trailer too, and you could permanently mount it since it wouldn't take up much space.

Can I see the trailer?

It’s not usually that complicated. 2 straps per bike (maybe 3 if you want the rear secured) and 2 chocks

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Whatever you do, make sure you flick the strap when you're done loading and say "that's not going anywhere".

how do you trailer you Dirtbike/ bike-106575477_10158840850279406_8445756647696903759_n-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Whatever you do, make sure you flick the strap when you're done loading and say "that's not going anywhere".

how do you trailer you Dirtbike/ bike-106575477_10158840850279406_8445756647696903759_n-jpg
    That's the key right there

Paul_E_D