Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Riding Jeans

Riding Jeans

Yeah, I know there's a couple similar threads floating around. But I'm interested in first-hand reviews of dedicated riding JEANS, as in denim-type riding jeans. There's a seemingly endless supply of them out there. Fit, feel, protection, longevity, etc. Being on the cooler side of the spectrum for summer riding, but I'm not overly concerned with that as I typically ride in plain old jeans during the hot summer months anyway.

I'm not interested in textile/cordura/leather/mesh. I've got all those covered already. And I've already got undergarments covered for summer/cold weather. Just looking to see what/if anyone's using for riding jeans.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Re: Riding Jeans

Following in case any riding JORTS suggestions come through

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

You are definitely primed for some jorts!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    You are definitely primed for some jorts!

Don't worry, I'm sure they come in boys sizes as well

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I can only speak to two of them:
    1.) cycle gear - the fit is a little off compared to regular jeans. I don’t know if they don’t stitch them straight, or to a regular leg shape. The waist is also
    O tight and the rest is looser. Zipper keeps falling after zipping up; I added a wire tie to spare the general public. Did a 30-40ish mph low side and dragged my butt on wet pavement. Just slight wear, but still usable. Looks less like regular jeans and more like riding pants. Fits RR boots somewhat well over the boot.
    2.) Dainese - fits right, feels more like normal jeans, looks more like normal jeans. Good quality, and knee pads can be upgraded. Haven’t crashed in them; I use these if I ride to work (paired with a golf polo) and need to pretend to look kinda professional looking. The CG ones are $120ish and the Dainese ones were $250ish; kinda wish I got Dainese first. Riding jeans last a pretty long time unless you commute in them

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-11-23 at 04:05 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Don't worry, I'm sure they come in boys sizes as well
    Ha! Funny story. I changed in KBs trailer once and I accidentally left my underwear. He found them and asked who had brought a little boy back to the trailer the night before! We had all gone out to a strip club after a td in jersey.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

I like my cycle gear jeans. They have held up very well over the years.

Got a pair of Reax 215 jeans, but the wash is a nice dark blue and the knee armor included is SAS-TEC. I am currently wearing them for the first time, about to head out around 6. I'll report back how well they do this evening.

Last edited by golden chicken; 07-12-23 at 03:54 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Got a pair of Reax 215 jeans, but the wash is a nice dark blue and the knee armor included is SAS-TEC. I am currently wearing them for the first time, about to head out around 6. I'll report back how well they do this evening.
    Sooooo???

Long story short I didn't get to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Sooooo???
    Got a chance to ride last night, 85-80°F as the sun went down. A knee armor height adjustment was needed.

I find them to be stiffer and noticeably less breathable than your standard fashion jeans due to the armor and the lining. They don't flap around at the cuffs like my regular jeans do. They are cut long enough that in the riding position, my ankles are not exposed, but if I am not wearing shoes, I am definitely walking around on the cuffs. The front pockets are a little shallow, if you had one of the larger phones available it would barely fit.

If first impressions are anything to go on as far as safety goes, I'd put them squarely in between fashion jeans and leathers. I definitely don't ever want to crash again in regular jeans and I feel like in leathers I don't want to, but I could. In these jeans I don't want to and I probably should not invite it, if that makes sense.

This week I will try them to commute to work. The forecasted highs will be a good test, along with playing nice and sitting in traffic at 5 or 6 pm.

Last edited by golden chicken; 07-16-23 at 11:33 AM.

rides bikes

I won't claim to be an expert, but I used to work in the motorcycle protective apparel industry (design, development and manufacturing) making (among other things) riding jeans. I'm not exactly captain safety, but I don't bother with riding jeans for a few reasons:

1. When you crash, you're typically not sliding on asphalt for miles and miles. You don't crash on the highway when you're going 100, you crash on backroads when you're going 40. By the time you hit the deck you're going 20, and you're usually in the dirt a few seconds later. Good, heavyweight denim (or Carhartt-type) is going to give you like 80% of the abrasion resistance as something backed with Aramid. Check the stitching and try to find something that's double or triple stitched, and ideally without rivets. Also, the vast majority of jeans claiming to have Kevlar actually use Aramid, but Kevlar sucks at protecting their brand name.
    2. Riding jeans come in very few fits and styles. I've found that the Cycle Gear style ones are super baggy and low in the crotch, where the hipster brands are super tight. If they're not comfortable, you're not going to wear them. Also, with such low volumes, they usually come in one length, which may mean needing to get them tailored.
    3. They're generally really hot and not breathable. Again, if they're not comfortable, you're not going to wear them. Also, most of these companies are only putting reinforcement in the ass and knees, which helps with heat, but diminishes their effectiveness.

I've crashed in regular jeans a dozen or more times and I think only one pair ever ripped. To each their own though, and good luck with your decision! Hopefully you never need to test them!

That makes me feel so much better about wearing my work pants on my commute now. I was feeling a little squidish.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    That makes me feel so much better about wearing my work pants on my commute now. I was feeling a little squidish.
    I mean...don't wear slacks, but I commute in jeans daily and year round (unless it's cold as balls, then I'll sometimes wear overpants).

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I mean...don't wear slacks, but I commute in jeans daily and year round (unless it's cold as balls, then I'll sometimes wear overpants).
    By work pants I mean some Duluth Trading stuff. Not slacks or designer jeans. Triple stitched and a little beefier, but not official "riding gear".

2012 Tiger 800 XC

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    By work pants I mean some Duluth Trading stuff. Not slacks or designer jeans. Triple stitched and a little beefier, but not official "riding gear".
    Yeah those are probably better than most of the cheap riding jeans on the market

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I won't claim to be an expert, but I used to work in the motorcycle protective apparel industry (design, development and manufacturing) making (among other things) riding jeans. I'm not exactly captain safety, but I don't bother with riding jeans for a few reasons:

1. When you crash, you're typically not sliding on asphalt for miles and miles. You don't crash on the highway when you're going 100, you crash on backroads when you're going 40. By the time you hit the deck you're going 20, and you're usually in the dirt a few seconds later. Good, heavyweight denim (or Carhartt-type) is going to give you like 80% of the abrasion resistance as something backed with Aramid. Check the stitching and try to find something that's double or triple stitched, and ideally without rivets. Also, the vast majority of jeans claiming to have Kevlar actually use Aramid, but Kevlar sucks at protecting their brand name.
    2. Riding jeans come in very few fits and styles. I've found that the Cycle Gear style ones are super baggy and low in the crotch, where the hipster brands are super tight. If they're not comfortable, you're not going to wear them. Also, with such low volumes, they usually come in one length, which may mean needing to get them tailored.
    3. They're generally really hot and not breathable. Again, if they're not comfortable, you're not going to wear them. Also, most of these companies are only putting reinforcement in the ass and knees, which helps with heat, but diminishes their effectiveness.

I've crashed in regular jeans a dozen or more times and I think only one pair ever ripped. To each their own though, and good luck with your decision! Hopefully you never need to test them!
    Great info!

I've shredded every pair of regular pants I've ever hit the deck in as if they weren't there since the age of 8. Sliding into home plate, falling off my bicycle, crashing a scooter in key west, whatever. If my knee hit the ground, I might as well have been wearing shorts. I'm sure my current uniform pants would perform as poorly.

Maybe I just suck at crashing.

I've met in my travels some people willing to ride quite spiritedly in riding jeans. I'm not that person. These will be used when I have a destination in mind. I'd rather be able to ditch the other gear and not stand out. When I'm riding to enjoy the road it'll be leathers.