Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Crashed my f4i today... Yes, ALREADY

Angry Crashed my f4i today... Yes, ALREADY

Here's a moderately entertaining story for those of you bored at work...

I went for a short ride before work today early in the morning, on this road I had read about:
    http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/SalmonFallsRd.htm

It's a great road with a posted speed limit of 25-35 mph in most places. I was going about 50 for most of the road and had gotten into a pretty good rhythm (so I thought) when I entered a downhill right turn that I thought was a normal curve but turned out to be a tight hairpin. As soon as I realized the turn radius was decreasing, I grabbed the front brake, hard, and stepped on the rear brake, also hard, and suddenly the bike was no longer under me and I was sliding across the road.

I stopped at the edge of the other lane, the bike slid off the edge of the road and fell into a drainage ditch. I sat there for a few minutes thinking how the hell am I gonna get my bike out of the damn drainage ditch. Luckily, within a few minutes a van came by with four very, very nice people inside (and it turned out they were all riders themselves) and they helped me pull the bike out of the ditch. They helped me look over the bike and make sure it would start. My rear brake lever somehow wedged itself into the bike so that the brake was stuck, luckily they had tools in the van too and unwedged the rear brake lever for me.

Bike Damage:

lost a mirror and a turn signal; one of the guys told me that my swingarm was bent but I couldn't really tell; rear brake lever all bent and messed up and needs to be replaced; I can't really tell what the right fairing looks like because it's covered in dirt, but I'm sure it's fucked underneath too. Argh.

Surprisingly enough, my jeans held up during the slide and I'm totally fine, except my knee hurts. My pride hurts too.

Stuff I did wrong:

1) I went back and forth around the turn a few times after the crash to examine the scene, and saw a sign before the turn that said 15 MPH and another sign with a curvy arrow on it. I had not seen those signs when I first entered the turn. I should have seen those signs coming into the turn and slowed down.

2) It was a blind turn, and I was not familiar with the road. I should have adhered to the posted speed limits, at least. And approached with caution.

3) Shouldn't have grabbed the brakes so hard.

4) Im' sure the bike could have made it through the turn even at the speed I entered, but I was too busy staring at where I thought the road SHOULD HAVE gone instead of where it was actually going. Target fixation problem, I guess.

5) SHOULD HAVE JUST STUCK WITH MY EX250!!!!!!! ARGGHHHH!H!!!!!

I am so mad at myself right now. I ddin't know I was so damn stupid but I guess I was wrong. For about an hour after the crash I decided that I would sell the bike and never get back in the saddle again, but I'm reconsidering that now

Feel free to post your comments, suggestions, flames. I can take it, I've got thick skin and I deserve some finger-wagging for all the stupid stunts I pulled today...

-Elaine

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

i'm told your not stupid

so just dont do it again

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

no flame here. I think that you understand what you did wrong. I found myself jammin home from stonnerstock yesterday on roads that I didn't know goin what was probably too fast in some turns. watchin the races didn't help

i don't think that your #5 is right though.... you know your mistakes and you have a rad bike now. minor damage and you are ok...when you get everything back in order go back to the road and do the turn again at a slower speed. Glad you are ok and hope the bike gets fixed soon with the minor damage you took...

can I get a "HELL YEAH" for the rad people in the van

Bras cause cancer.

Everybody to the limit!

Oh well done Elaine, wasn't it enough that you crashed my bike at the track? I would think you might have learned something about taking a corner too hot from that, but apparently you didn't learn anything. Shit, if you can't learn from your mistakes maybe you should think about packing things up, before you get really hurt. Or worse, hurt someone else.

Banned

Elaine, sorry to hear about your get-off and I am so relieved to hear you are ok, that is the main thing.

I saw from the track day that you are a good rider. That can be a problem because you have lots of confidence and I think that is what got you into this trouble.

I can assure you that if you had stayed at mid-throttle and leaned into the corner the bike would have gone through with no problems. Lack of experience was your problem as you did what anyone inexperienced would do, you grabbed the brakes. This stands the bike up and makes it go forward (you know that now).

The bike is fixable even if your swingarm is bent. They are all over ebay so you'll get one there easily enough and you will have help repairing the bike I am sure.

When I compare your riding ability on the maintenance day with your ability on the trackday you had come a long way but as you now know you still have some way to go.

Don't give up riding, just learn from the mistake and move on.

Good luck, and be assured that your F4i is definitely in better shape than mine is today :-))

derek

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Originally posted by Degsy
    Good luck, and be assured that your F4i is definitely in better shape than mine is today :-))

derek
    there are pics of your bike somewhere in here

password = nesr

Bras cause cancer.

Posting Freak

Jesus Darrell! What an insensative prick! I can't believe that you would say something like this to Elaine. I thought you were different. Most guys would be supportive, or at least keep these thoughts to themselves. She should fly out from Cali and come kick your ass!!

Elaine, if you need me to hit him tell me and I will do so. I still have his rear stand in my car.

I think that you realize what you done. Pride is the worse. It causes problems. Realize that everyone crashes at some point. It seems like your guardian angels were flying with you though...

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Oh well done Elaine, wasn't it enough that you crashed my bike at the track? I would think you might have learned something about taking a corner too hot from that, but apparently you didn't learn anything. Shit, if you can't learn from your mistakes maybe you should think about packing things up, before you get really hurt. Or worse, hurt someone else.

Getting back into the game! Looking for my next bike!

Everybody to the limit!

Listen beth, stay out of this. You haven't seen the way she's been riding since the track day. I have. And I'm not the only one who told her to tone things down a bit. But she wouldn't listen. Now I guess she got what's coming to her. I'd like to think she could learn but I just don't believe it, so maybe it's time to throw in the towel before something really bad happens.

Originally posted by Cowboyrider
    Jesus Darrell! What an insensative prick! I can't believe that you would say something like this to Elaine. I thought you were different. Most guys would be supportive, or at least keep these thoughts to themselves. She should fly out from Cali and come kick your ass!!

Elaine, if you need me to hit him tell me and I will do so. I still have his rear stand in my car.

I think that you realize what you done. Pride is the worse. It causes problems. Realize that everyone crashes at some point. It seems like your guardian angels were flying with you though...

Originally posted by Cowboyrider

wow that is pretty prickish..i hope you are joking..

Elaine - That sucks you messed up your purdy new bike. Glad to hear you were not hurt too badly. I think you will be fine..I;m sure you won't make the same mistake again...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Most importantly, your ok.. Secondly your bike is fixable! Pride confidence can be rebuilt. this is just a hard learning experience, it could have been a tougher experience if you were going faster or got off the saddle another way. Glad it wasn't... Consider it a good crash and get back out there..

If you need help with the bike, there are people here that i am sure would be happy to help you. Like myself. If the bikes in Cali, I will use it as an excuse to go back out there!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Glad your ok. I think it would have happened on the 500 anyway. You'd have been in the same rhythm, and have missed the 15mph sign.

Kudos to the guys who stopped and helped ya out

Nice to be able to walk/ride away from your "mistake"... not everyone is as lucky

Fix up the bike, get back in the saddle and again the right way

Just my 2 cents worth....

Life is full of curves...just lean into them!!!

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by bigred875
    wow that is pretty prickish..i hope you are joking..
    Have you ever ridden with her? No? Ok then.

Lifer

Elaine,

Don't worry about it. Those first few weeks on a new bike are the most dangerous, so what happened isn't really a surprise. You weren't used to the new bike yet, but you were psyched about having it, and pushed too hard. Next time take that into account. Ride very carefully on a new bike to get used to it.

I didn't see you at the track day. But all this makes it sound like you just have a case of wanting to be really fast really quickly. Just put the bike back together and slow down. Maybe it will take you longer to be "really fast" but you won't hurt yourself. If you still had the instincts to grab both brakes hard in the middle of the corner you're just pushing yourself a little too hard.

Besides, the track is the place to be "really fast" anyway. But you've obviously got enough riding on your belt to be OK on the F4i so no sense in telling yourself you need to go back to the 250.

Sounds like you ride like a guy.

Ben

Dang O Dang man.....Sucks to hear bout the crash...Verry glad to hear you made it out w/ out any serious damage.......
    Kudo's to the guys in da Van for stopping and helpin you out...
    As allready mentioned them F4i's are a dime a dozen for parts and it can be fixed ......
    If you throw in the towel now then your crash was all for nuttin.
    take some time to rest and get back on da saddle. DONT give up

Darrell you seemed like kool dude at stonner stock, But I DO think your comments are rather harsh... Talk bout kicking someone when there down...Damn

Honda (RC26) VFR700
    "hey Randy, do a wheelie!!"

Thanks to everyone for being kind, and for the good advice. This is definitely a wake-up call for me to slow down and rethink the limits of my ability.

You're right ben, i guess i was just too eager to go fast on the new bike. well, it's not so "new" anymore and i should probably learn to walk before i run!

I guess we've all heard stories about (relatively) new riders going too fast all the time and then going down. Just didn't think it would happen to me! Well now I know!!

Banned

I hear where you're coming from bud, but now probably isn't the time, that's all. Calm down a bit first.

degs

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    Look at it this way, now it's REALLY anti-theft!
    YEAH it does look really beat-up now!!! man, I'll never have a nice bike

RSVMILLE661

Elaine..

Glad you are ok.. as the others have said the bike and pride are all re-buildable.

I think Degsy hit the nail on the head.. when in doubt keep pushing on the bar.. the bike WILL turn! You may scrape pegs or even more but it will turn and remember to keep looking through the corner as far down the road as possible.

Also... the limits of the 600 F4 are much higher than that of an EX250 so what may have been pushing it on the EX is just scratching the surface of the abilities of the F4. Trust the bike and try not to fight it so much.

Originally posted by Degsy
    I hear where you're coming from bud, but now probably isn't the time, that's all. Calm down a bit first.

degs

Well put there Derek

Honda (RC26) VFR700
    "hey Randy, do a wheelie!!"

wow that was pretty prickish too...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

It happens!

Even to us "good" riders! (HA!)

No bike is too much for their rider. The rider can be too much for the bike though.

Slow entering turns, rip it up exiting! That's how I ride, and as long as you don't go ham-fisted and do anything stupid, it's probably the safest way to ride in a spirited manner. Once you see the exit of the corner, THEN you can have a little fun. Goin in hot should be saved for the track.

Enjoy your bike. Learn from your mistakes. Now it is officially "yours"!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Sorry to hear, but everyone crashes and makes mistakes, as long as you learn from it and your okay it's no big deal.

Was the turn a true hairpin? If it was and wasn't indicated by a sign as a hairpin i'm sure that would catch many riders by surprise.

Shoot the J!

Everybody to the limit!

Allright, you all caught me, Elaine and I were just having a little fun at your expense. Beth (Cowboyrider) was in on it too.

Elaine, I'm glad you could reflect on what caused the crash and what you can do in the future to prevent it. Obviously I don't want you to stop riding and I think ultimately you'll be a better rider for this (though it's kind of an expensive way to improve one's riding skills ).

And you're right, we shoulda done this on ODFU, NESR people are so drama-free, laaame

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

It sucks for the bike, but glad you didn't get hurt too much.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast