Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Yet another motorcycle tire question

Yet another motorcycle tire question

I am looking for some feedback on tires, in specific the handling differences between two rear tires. Michelin Pilot Power size 190/55 ZR17 and 190/50 ZR17.
    The tire will go on my Suzuki Hayabusa which has had some suspension work done at GMD Computrack, to improve handling I have been running the Pilot Powers in the stock size of 190/50 ZR17 for a few years and they seem to be fine. The last tire change, it appears, the size was changed to the 190/55 ZR17.

From what I understand, the 190/50 might be a more stable tire while vertical and the 190/55 would be a better tire for lean in quickness. I am not sure if that small size difference would make any noticable difference on the street or not. Would one give a greater tire contact patch during lean, compaired to the other? I am asking because the bike is currently running the 190/55, which have less than 200 miles on them, before I got a screw in the tire, plugged it, and it still has a slight leak. So I am in the process of replacing the rear tire. The 190/55 is hard to get right now and will take two weeks to come in. I dont have much seat time on the 190/55 to really know which might be the better choice. I typically ride spirited on back roads, but dont want to lose stability on the occational highway or straight streach of road.

Thoughts or experience on keeping it stock 190/50 or going to 190/55.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Re: Yet another motorcycle tire question

if it means anything I have a GSXR1000 for the street and I have Pilot Power 2CT 190/50 on it

Karaya One will have the best answer for you

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

My bet.....you cant tell the difference.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    My bet.....you cant tell the difference.
    Hmm.. My money is against yours. I could tell the difference going between two different brand/style tires that were spec'ed at the exact same size.

My new Michelins tip in WAY faster/easier than the Bridgestones my bike shipped with.

Well, different brands will absolutly feel different, even in the same exact size...different design, profile etc...

I still doubt you or I could feel the difference between a 50 & 55 in the same tire. Not at our level of riding.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh and ya, the Michelin profile is way more V shaped than any Bridgestone...

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Terry,
    I can be no assistance to you regarding the difference in turn in and such. I can tell you that I am currently running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's 190/50/17 I have made the decision to go with the Pilot Power 3's 190/55/17 I plan on mounting them in or around May. Everything I have read thus far points to better or quicker turn in. Not quite sure how the new Power 3's will be either. They are not proven do to the fact they are such a new tire.

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

I have dunlop Q2 190/50 one year and went to 190/55 on my r1. I really could tell the difference when riding. It's such a small change and I think you are over thinking it.

Last edited by imstuner; 04-11-13 at 06:21 AM.

The 190/50-17 to 190/55-17 is not a smooth transition for best handling. The 190/50-17 Michelin is 620mm in diameter, while the 190/55-17 is 642mm in diameter. The 190/50 is a street profile as its flatter and promotes stability. The 190/55 is a performance profile as its much more V-shaped promoting a quick turn-in and more side grip.

To bolt on the 190/55 on a bike that came with a 190/50 can cause handling issues. The 22mm difference in diameter means you just raised the rear of the bike 11mm. Unless changes are made in other places you may not like the way it feels.

Peter Kates could guide you on the specific changes you would need to do.

I have those Powers in stock. You could have them tomorrow. I have Power One commercials on special, and they are a much better tire.

To put this note into perspective, I'm typing this in my underwear.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

The last few sets of tires I've put on the 12R have been 190/55's and they have been fantastic. I've tried all of the following sizes; 200/50, 190/55, 190/50, 180/55. The factory 200 made the bike feel more like a pig and the 180 felt like the bike was falling into corners. Both 190 sizes were much better suited to my style of riding and I used the 190/50 extensively until the 190/55 became readily available. Ultimately I slightly prefer the feel of the 190/55 but I wouldn't think twice about putting a 190/50 on again if that's all that was available. Being that the Busa and the 12R are quite similar in stature and performance, I'd expect you would be happy with either.

And stability is a non-issue for either 190 variant.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 04-11-13 at 07:24 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpfull.

I had the new tire 190/55 on for an afternoon to scrub it in and then the last ride of the season. It was a group ride which included a very spirited ride down the Kanc. Over all, that day somethng about the handling of the bike felt different and less stable. I slowed up my paced and chocked it up to "just one of those days" thinkinng it was just me. Now, maybe it was the different feel to the 190/55 tire. I originally had the bike's suspension setup to the 190/50 tire and maybe the 190/55 changed things enough for me to feel it, specifically in the stability department. I have decieded to return to the 190/50.

Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Something else to consider when changing street tires (meaning tires that have been ridden for many miles on the street)...

Often, the center of the tire is used the most - thus flattening the tire and making the effective diameter even smaller. This happens over time so you don't notice it much but often the bike becomes a bit lazier to turn in - but maybe a bit more stable. (assuming the rear flat spots more than the front)

When you put a new tire on, you generally raise the rear automatically just because the tire has meat in the middle again.

The diameter of the tire is a good number to know when changing to a different brand, or even a different tire within a brand. If you like the way your bike handles currently, then adjusting the bike to compensate for the new tire diameter is a first step.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com