Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Moto consolidation

Moto consolidation

Yeah, I have 7 or so bikes. I've stopped counting.

Of them, 4 are registered. I could register and ride another two. One is just a dirt bike.

I don't ride many of them often.

Thinking to myself, what if I wanted to consolidate the functionality of my bikes? I have a power cruiser (Vmax), open class naked (ZRX), Adventure/touring (Vstrom) and SV (sport/track).

Would like to keep the SV since that is ideal for my track and fun needs. Light, fast, cheap.

But of all the others, I was wondering how well a GS1200 Adventure would cover all the bases. It is comfortable, nearly as much power as the Rex or Vmax, just as good at distance as the Vstrom.

Obviously I'd be selling all 3 to get said GS since they are spendy, but has anyone else consolidated like this?

Not doing it to save money, just to get more use out of whatever bikes I own. Can only ride one at a time after all.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Re: Moto consolidation

If you are considering a GS, I'd throw a MG Norge in the mix. Friend has one, great bike. Not on the adventure side of things, but great handling and fairly light given the size of the bike. I'd also consider a Triumph over a BMW, more reliable and probably save you some bucks.

I'm a suspension guy. That Adventure suspension was like riding on a cloud. And that was a 2004 model (or 2003? BRUUUUUUUUCE?!).

I'm not a Guzzi guy. My Dad has one and I'm not overly impressed with them.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Have you ever ridden a Triumph Tiger 800?

Of course I have a biased opinion, but I feel it would be an excellent cross between the higher priced GS and your lower cost/lower powered Vstrom while offering all the accessories and upgrades to make it fit your riding needs to a "T".

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

I see lots of pluses here.
    The gs will allow for actual adventures too, vs the wee. The only downside is its fucking enormous.
    I know you need to have your arms stretched every now and again, hence the max, but if I were to settle for a dirty, a track toy, and an everything else, the 800gs would be the one for me, as huge power doesn't really excite me too much.
    Theoretically it should do everything else as well as its big brother. And yes, I've ridden one.

Edit: or the new multi might check all those boxes too. Dunno.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 09-04-13 at 09:01 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I have a 1150GS as my only real street bike. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the 1200 but it was a hell of a lot less $. I enjoy riding it and it's so different from my track and dirt toys that it reminds me that I should be riding it differently.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

The October issue of Motorcyclist has an article that compares the new GS (not Adventure), Ducati Multistrada, Yamaha Super Tenere, Triumph Explorer, KTM Adventure and Adventure R, and Honda Crosstour. They had about a dozen people evaluate them on an Edelweiss Alps tour. They concluded they would have been very impressed with any of the bikes if they had ridden them alone, but when comparing the others to the GS, the GS was definitely the best of breed.

I haven't consolidated, but when I do I'll almost definitely be buying a GS. I rented one last summer for ten days and both my wife and I loved it. I totally agree with John, riding it is a big change from other bike types with its upright seating position, very wide handle bars, and unique suspension. But once I got used to it, it was a very fun bike to ride.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Just get a Grom and call it a day.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

The KTM ADV baja is reviewed well. I can see myself on an adventure tourey thing in the near future. That, the multistrada and 800gs are currently at the top of the list. Watching 'teach' rip his 800gs around nhms with 80/20 tires gave me a lot of respect for the bike, and the adventure class as a whole.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Wirelessly posted

I have an r1200 adv and it is a great all around bike. Decent power good handling can do on and off road reasonable maint.

I did 3k miles along the coast in June and it was smooth sailing.

That being said the bike is a big ass pig. It's heavy, hard to move around and is just overall a handful even for me at 6'2. I've never dropped it but can imagine it happening pretty easily.

My personal opinion is for weekend rides, commuting and general use I would lean more towards a multi strata or tiger 800 just because its more compact and short ride friendly. For long trips the adv is great.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I've heard the GS800 motor is somewhat lacking in personality and is rather buzzy. I'd rather more comfort than off-road ability. I just hit dirt roads every day on my way to work and back, but that's something I can do on virtually any bike, including my SV or ZRX. I don't need something crazy off road, but I'd rather a larger comfortable bike that can soak up the miserable pavement we have up here, have a lot of fuel capacity and a good highway demeanor. Hence the GS. Adventure model just cause I'd prefer to have the extra suspension and it tickles my eye-testicles.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

What's the opposite of a monkey fucking a football?
    Because that's how your lil ass is going to look riding that spaceship.

That said, I'm a little jelly. The next scoot will definitely be something super-tankerish. I think I know where there's a GSA that I could swing a leg over to see if its for me...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You need to try it. It is amazing.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Does it vibrate like a motorcycle or do you not even know you're on a bike when riding one?
    That's the ultimate question.
    If its too smooth (coughtrimphcough) I don't want it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

It's got a lot more pulses than my Wee, that's for sure.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Yeah, I have 7 or so bikes. I've stopped counting.

Of them, 4 are registered. I could register and ride another two. One is just a dirt bike.

I don't ride many of them often.

Thinking to myself, what if I wanted to consolidate the functionality of my bikes? I have a power cruiser (Vmax), open class naked (ZRX), Adventure/touring (Vstrom) and SV (sport/track).

Would like to keep the SV since that is ideal for my track and fun needs. Light, fast, cheap.

But of all the others, I was wondering how well a GS1200 Adventure would cover all the bases. It is comfortable, nearly as much power as the Rex or Vmax, just as good at distance as the Vstrom.

Obviously I'd be selling all 3 to get said GS since they are spendy, but has anyone else consolidated like this?

Not doing it to save money, just to get more use out of whatever bikes I own. Can only ride one at a time after all.
    I'll buy the SV back

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    I'll buy the SV back
    Your reading comprehension is lacking!

"Would like to keep the SV since that is ideal for my track and fun needs. Light, fast, cheap"

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

If you possibly can, stretch to a 2010 model. I've owned both 07 and now 2010 - the DOHC motor is a significant improvement.
    I'd suggest you question the Adventure vs non-Adventure decision. I currently have a 2010 Adventure - and kind of wish I had a standard GS. (Main reason I dont - I HATE the styling change they made after the 07 model year on the standard GS). The ADV is a big heavy bastard. The tank is enormous - 300+miles without any difficulty at all. The luggage is good - but the luggage on the standard GS is also good.
    Home maintenance is pretty easy - ping me if you want specifics or anything. Only ugly job I'd say would be a clutch replacement. Pre-2010 bikes are Pushrod, and locknut adjusters to do the valves - post 2010 is DOHC and shim based...but still, very easy to check.

That said, I got back on saturday from 608 miles of twisties, two days across the south of the UK with no motorway. It is amazingly capable on a decently tight road - you will find you can brake surprisingly late, and the oddball front suspension really does a great job of allowing you to do so.

I'm pondering changing mine - primarily due to the width. With panniers on it is a wide bike, and over here lanesplitting and filtering are not only legal, but encouraged. This gets quite tricky when you are 2x the width of most bikes! Prettymuch all the rest of the time the only thing I wish for is a touch more midrange to allow snappier overtaking. If you ride one - don't be afraid to rev it.

The Old:
    Moto consolidation-28800_1472361294260_3167312_n-jpg
    The New:
    Moto consolidation-382998_10201132454493080_878769100_n-jpg

Despite its size, it is amazingly good fun on roads like these:
    Moto consolidation-292988_10201467270423269_1616327785_n-jpgMoto consolidation-960187_10201467272623324_282386966_n-jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, more than happy to help

Last edited by Wanderer; 09-04-13 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Image

what were you using the zrx to do? long cruises?

Best thing about owning a BMW around here is Yankee Beemers - the country's largest BMW club. I belong to it and I haven't owned a BMW for almost 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Does it vibrate like a motorcycle or do you not even know you're on a bike when riding one?
    That's the ultimate question.
    If its too smooth (coughtrimphcough) I don't want it.
    I test rode an R1200GS before I bought my first DL650, a R1200 GS Adventure before I bought the second V-Strom.

I was totally underwhelmed by the motor. Lots of torque, but buzzy. The whole final drive issue may be overblown but it doesn't reflect well on them. The GSA had Ohlens shocks and convinced me to upgrade the suspenders on my other bikes.

Rode the F800St in a track session at NJMP. I found the motor to be pleasant although not particularly powerful

Test rode the Tiger 800 and found it to be a little faster and nicer than the V-Strom, for a lot more money. The Tiger 1050 [Now the Tiger 1050 Sport] was a lot more powerful for not much more money. Then a used one popped up for a stupid good deal.

Another candidate if you like the R1200GS but don't have Adventure pretensions is the R1200R. It's a naked R1200 with a neutral riding position. It's lighter, less expensive, a bit lower, and you can get windshields and all the other BMW accessories. If I was going to buy a BMW that's probably what I would get. You can crack on pretty well with one and the suspension is a plus for the roads around here. IT was the #2 choice after the Tiger 1050.

My joke about the R1200GS was "They invite V-Strom riders to join them because it takes three men to pick it up." It's a very capable, if very odd-looking bike, and some people can do amazing things with them off the beaten path - but I don't know any of them.....

Last edited by Garandman; 09-04-13 at 11:51 AM.

Jay Reynolds, svc mngr at Wagner, Dana?
    He's one of those guys, but he's a behemoth, so it looks like a normal size bike under him.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    what were you using the zrx to do? long cruises?
    Not much really. It handles well and has tons of power, so I just ride it for grins once in a while.

Vstrom for long rides. SV/ZRX for sport, Vmax for being a traffic light hero from American Graffiti.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I'd never use it as a trail bike. I don't use my Wee as a trail bike. I have a trail bike to use as a trail bike.

Dirt roads and rough pavement. I really couldn't explain accurately how bad the roads are that I ride every day. The dirt roads are smoother cause they grade them once in a while. That's my reasoning for going ADV model vs normal GS.

Def 2010+. I'd even consider going new if I managed to fall in love with the new one for any particular reason.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

The Triumph Tiger Explorer is the way to go of course. Its so comfortable and luxurious. Cruise control heated seats, grips, tracktion contol, ABS. I'm getting close to 52mpg highway. Its got a lot of get and go. Went on the CST last year with Ducdave and had a blast. Also has adjustable rider seat.

Markbvt has the Triumph Tiger 800XC which felt like a dirt biked compared to the Explorer. When Mark got on the Explorer he said he had to get one. He wanted to go to Alasaka.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Your reading comprehension is lacking!

"Would like to keep the SV since that is ideal for my track and fun needs. Light, fast, cheap"
    It's not lacking, I was just choosing not to read that.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast