Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two-up Riding Tips?

Two-up Riding Tips?

For those who don't know, I'm a fairly new streetrider with about 1500 mi. under my belt. The wife finally agreed to ride on the back and I was thinking about going out for a short ride today with her. Anything that either her or myself should keep in mind when riding two-up?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Two-up Riding Tips?

Smooooooth is key. Smooth throttle, smooth brakes, smooth corners. Bike will feel like a brick at slow speeds.

Have her keep her body in line with yours in the turns. Tell her to pick a side to have her head (to the left or right of yours) and keep it there unless going straight.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Two-up Riding Tips?

also, increasing the rear preload helps a bunch too

Two-up Riding Tips?

Let the passenger know when you're ready for them to get on/off the bike.

Have the passenger keep their feet positioned on the pegs when you come to a stop.

Have the passenger try to remain still and not lean -- a good way for them to not do anything funky is to merely have them put their head over your shoulder in the direction of a turn. Right turn, right shoulder.

You should practice smooth braking, and get used to using both front a rear brakes.

It takes some getting used to, so go easy at first. If you don't yet feel fully confident riding on the street yourself, you might want to wait before carrying a passenger.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Two-up Riding Tips?

check in here http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

just remember to be smooth. Make sure you give yourself enough room to stop smoothly. I use the rear brake more when i have a passenger.

Two-up Riding Tips?

great advice, guys.. thank you.

Two-up Riding Tips?

another thing that rarly gets mentioned. Tell her if she slides forward and wants to move back on the seat to stand on the pegs and lift off the seat slightly and the sit back. most people will try to wiggle back and it will move the whole bike side to side. Also remember more weight means longer or harder braking.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Two-up Riding Tips?

Reach-arounds once in a while are nice.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Two-up Riding Tips?

Originally posted by legalspeed
    tell her to grab the joy stick...she may have to pump it up first

Talking asspat

Originally posted by legalspeed
    i its her first ride go slow till she gets used 2 it the speed of bikes is a bit much 2 cagers she will see the speedo
    & smooth smooth
    & you are going 2 b on a new bike easy does it
    tell her she can get off any time if she wants
    watch your nuts on the tank
    & if i was you plan on not going 2 far cause she may not like it stop & ask her if shes ok
    give her a let me the fuck off signal & make sure you
    rub her on the ass from time 2 time & a little pinch from old beety

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Two-up Riding Tips?

Something I do ,, tell her before the ride that you'll tap her leg if something peeks your attension ! Like a car doing something stupid and you need to either brake or gas ,,, just gives her a heads up to hang on if she's not looking at the same thing you are . And reach arounds ARE part of the RIDE ,,, for both you and the rider . Now I know why some of these Squidly girls wear those CUTE little shorts on the back of some of these bike I see .

Two-up Riding Tips?

Tell ehr that is she finds herself sliding forward at stops to brace against the tank...lots of girls wont at first because they think it gets in the way, but it is better than you supporting her weight and yours. And never be afraid for the reach around...

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Two-up Riding Tips?

I always tell my girl that its ok if she squirms around once we are up to speed. The bike is much more stable then. The worst is when the passenger starts to adjust and move around as you are coming to a stop.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Two-up Riding Tips?

One thing that I havent' read here yet that I find extremely important is her arm position. Tell her to hold on at ALL times...you never know when you won't see a bump or pothole and it'll scare the shit out of her. By keeping her arms around you, that also allows her to push on the tank when slowing or stopping - I found this to be the single most helpful thing my wife did. Otherwise she'll slide forward and not only crush your gentlemen, but it disrupts your concentration and puts a lot of pressure on your arms/wrists when stopping. If she can support herself on the tank, you'll never notice her.

And then to just reiterate what everyone else said...smooth on the throttle and brakes. Give yourself extra room to stop. Practice in a parking lot/driveway at first. Tell her to always, ALWAYS keep her feet on the pegs, no matter what. And head over the inside shoulder when turning at speed - not so important when going slow.

The first day my wife rode with me I had less than 1000 miles under my belt, and we did about 150 miles. It took a little time, but she's a pro now.

Good luck and have fun Jon!

Two-up Riding Tips?

What they all said

A good measure is smooth enough not to clunk helmets.

Ride with the intension of boring her to death.

If your lucky she will become totally disinterested and you can go have a good time. Many is the male who has given up anything thrilling because he finds himself forced to play at a level that is personnally boring to him; so why bother.

Oh boy I'm gonna get it now.
    Lets hear from the exceptions that prove the rule
    I said many not all, yes most people are lame, yes girls are better then men. I worship at your feet and we are not worthy

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

Two-up Riding Tips?

Originally posted by richw

If your lucky she will become totally disinterested and you can go have a good time.
    I got so bored, that I got my own.

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

Two-up Riding Tips?

again, thanks for the feedback guys.

last night's ride sucked. i will defintely have to tweak the rear shock next time as the old CBR didn't appreciate two people on it so much. my balls got crushed and turning was really funky.. not smooth at all. i'm sure i'll get used to it, but she did say she prefers holding onto my belt instead of putting her arms around my waist.

Two-up Riding Tips?

http://www.buddybelt.com/

Originally posted by bump909
    but she did say she prefers holding onto my belt instead of putting her arms around my waist.

Kevin
    '05 Warrior
    Quincy, MA
    AIM: BostonianR6

Two-up Riding Tips?

What has worked well for me is having the passenger put one arm around me, the other on the rear grab bar. It reduces the amount of sliding they do under braking, acceleration, etc.

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but so far it's worked out well.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Two-up Riding Tips?

One of the biggest things that was I was told when I started riding passenger (when I was 3) was not to fight against the turns.

As a kid, I thought if I leaned to the right when turning left,etc. that I would be safer that way. I also thought it was best to reposition myself on the seat when we were at stopped at a red light, etc. but thats not the case either (as stated above).

It only took one good exhaust burn on my leg (still have the scar) to teach me how to get on and off a bike.

But the time I was 4, I had it down and always loved the ride (still do)

Quote Originally Posted by Omahastylin16 View Post
    thats just one of the reasons why D is an example of the perfect woman rather than typical

Two-up Riding Tips?

Found this and I agree with it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tips for the Motorcycle Operator
    Ideally, you should have at least one (1) year of riding experience before adding a passenger. Your skill level should allow you to confidently handle your motorcycle in most riding conditions before introducing a passenger into the equation—and exposing them to the risk.
    For your passenger to enjoy the ride, your operation of the motorcycle should be as smooth as possible—shifting, acceleration, and braking. “Turtle kissing” (or helmet clashing) is not considered romantic! Develop smooth riding habits prior to adding a passenger.
    Keep in mind that the additional weight of a passenger will affect the handling. It will take a longer distance to stop, more effort to turn, etc. Keep your speed down until you are accustomed to these differences.
    ***Carrying a passenger that weighs more than you do is not recommended. *** I had to point this one out
    Discuss all the “rules” with your passenger prior to them mounting the motorcycle. It is necessary to be completely “in synch” and this requires education through communication.
    Your passenger should be dressed in the same manner as you. This includes the recommended gear: [full-face] helmet, long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long [riding] pants, full-fingered gloves, and over-the-ankle boots.
    Plan frequent stops to give your passenger a break. Any movement on their part will affect the motorcycle and therefore should be limited. Without frequent stops a passenger can quickly become uncomfortable.

Tips for the Motorcycle Passenger
    The motorcycle operator should always mount first and dismount last.
    Prior to the passenger mounting, the motorcycle should be in a level place with a straight path of travel. If you have a steep driveway and a non-busy street, you may need to ride out of the garage, down the driveway, and into the street.
    Never mount or dismount the motorcycle until the agreed upon signal is given from the operator. This could be a nod of the head, a verbal command, etc. The motorcycle is most unstable when stopped, making it more susceptible to unexpected movement. Of course, if the motorcycle falls over—BAIL OFF!
    Mount and dismount from the left side of the motorcycle—the same as the operator. When mounting, hold onto the operator’s waist or shoulder, put your left foot on the left passenger foot peg, and swing your right leg over the seat.
    Keep your feet on the pegs at all times. This does include all stops. Your feet should only come off the pegs when dismounting. When your feet come off the pegs, the motorcycle moves requiring the operator to balance it. They may not be prepared for this additional movement.
    Hold onto the operator’s waist. This allows the operator to evaluate your comfort level and allows you to anticipate the operators movements. Please don’t hold too tightly—the operator will need to breathe. In some cases, it is best to place your hands on the operator’s thighs.
    When riding do not make any unnecessary movements. If you must move in the seat to gain a more comfortable seating position, alert the operator that you will be moving so that he/she will be prepared.
    Do not be afraid of the lean—it is necessary for the motorcycle to turn. When turning look over the operator’s shoulder in the direction of the turn. For a left turn, look over the left shoulder.
    Keep in mind that it is difficult to hear when wearing helmets and traveling at speed. Limit talking to times when you are stopped or traveling at very low speeds. If you enjoy talking more frequently, there are several operator-to-passenger communication devices. Never tug on a operator’s arm, cover their eyes, or attempt to feed them when riding. *** doesn't this just go without saying?

I also tell my passengers that I have 3 rules for them.

Rule # 1- You must smile and have fun.
    Rule #2- You must wave to other bikes and small children.
    Rule #3- Remember rule 1.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Two-up Riding Tips?

Bump had a bike in 2005 when this was originally posted but sadly this is not the case in 2007.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Two-up Riding Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Bump had a bike in 2005 when this was originally posted but sadly this is not the case in 2007.
    DOH! Thats what I get for looking at threads that I find while looking at the Who's Online section.

Quote Originally Posted by Omahastylin16 View Post
    thats just one of the reasons why D is an example of the perfect woman rather than typical

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Two-up Riding Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    Make sure you give yourself enough room to stop smoothly. I use the rear brake more when i have a passenger.
    This is really important, as you're now heavier than you normally ride when you're alone.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Two-up Riding Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post

No shit. I thought he didn't have a bike,...I'm confused. Which happens to often in here. What did Dianne dig this thing up.

1993 Honda CBR900RR
    1990 Suzuki GSXR1100
    1992 Kawasaki ZX750
    1996 Honda F3 Trackbike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast