Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rim straightening? Any recommendations?

My friend needs to get a aluminum front rim straightened. We went out riding yesturday and both almost ate it. He ended up with a sliced front tire and a bent rim. Whats it going to cost / where can he get it done? Its not that bad, not cracked yet, its bent out about 1/4th an inch over a 3 inch area so its not creased.

I was 2 cars in front of him on 3A in MA where they have the road all dug up, going to 3a Motorsports from nashua. The road was all dug up and there were manhole covers and gas mains sticking 3-5 inches out of the road everywhere, some painted, some not.. I got to 3A and noticed he wasnt behind the car behind me anymore and there was a noticable gap in traffic. So I head back down the road looking for whatever ditch he might have ended up in.

I didnt notice him at a garage that our friend works at and went by. I stopped at the beginning of the construction zone and called, so he told me where he was. So as I crest a small hill I see them standing on the side of the road about 250 feet up. As soon as I crest the hill theres a, unpainted gas main sticking up 5 inches out of the grooved pavement, I nailed it dead center at about 30. It got really ugly, bike went up kicked out sideways then over corrected with the rear tire locked up, skidded around for a bit but eventually straightened it out and caught my breath as I pulled into the repair station they were at.

They come running over and I look at my friend and im like is that... he says YUP same one I hit!

Im going to check my tires again today for any damage, I think I was ok because I hit it dead center. He lipped it so his rim too most of it. We both could have gone down pretty hard though.

There anything he can do to get the state to pay for a rim and tire? We stopped at the police station and they recommended we contact MA state Highway.

-Lou

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

www.mcwheel.com

I've had them repair a couple of wheels for my SV, one was bent only (4 places not visible with naked eye, but caused pulsing while braking)

the other, was a rear that my rear caliper slamed into making a 2" gash they had to weld then straighten

they have real quick turn around, a day or two at most, or they may have a repaired wheel in stock for your bike

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Noah is the Man there. Real good guys.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Called my friend and let him know. Looks like its about a 100$ min charge. Looking at some of the other rims on that page that were fixed this looks like an easy fix. Im trying to convince him to drive out to Keene with me, drop it off, party at the local bars, stay over, pick the rim up the next day and drive back home. (looks like an extra 25$ is enough to expedite a rim to next day service lol)

On a side note. When i road home yesturday after hitting that stupid thing and nearly hurting myself... I was pretty shaken up. How longs that typically last? I didnt head out at all today because I didnt know how is be on the bike. I have to ride it to work tomorrow either way but how longs the jitters last or should I just get over it and wait for the next time somethin happens to worry again heh.

Originally posted by Loun
    Called my friend and let him know. Looks like its about a 100$ min charge. Looking at some of the other rims on that page that were fixed this looks like an easy fix. Im trying to convince him to drive out to Keene with me, drop it off, party at the local bars, stay over, pick the rim up the next day and drive back home. (looks like an extra 25$ is enough to expedite a rim to next day service lol)

On a side note. When i road home yesturday after hitting that stupid thing and nearly hurting myself... I was pretty shaken up. How longs that typically last? I didnt head out at all today because I didnt know how is be on the bike. I have to ride it to work tomorrow either way but how longs the jitters last or should I just get over it and wait for the next time somethin happens to worry again heh.
    last one I had done, I rode over with my damaged rear wheel strapped to the back, they had a repaired SV wheel, I was only ther a few minutes and I rode home with a different one that was repaired strapped to the back, they have quite a collection of wheels

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I had them fix my front rim this past summer $120 and it was fixed.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

+1 MC Wheel...used them 2x so far, both were good experiences.

Last time I drove there and they literally 'turned it around' in under 1 hour.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

MC Wheel...drove mine up, had it done in two hours, go grab lunch at applebees and it's done.

I get offended by people who cry they've been offended

with no intention of hijacking this thread....

I also need a wheel straightened, but on eBay I can get the wheel brand new for $125 shipped.

Is it better to get a wheel straightened, or get a new wheel?

Originally posted by Bhavesh

Yes

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Originally posted by Bhavesh
    with no intention of hijacking this thread....

I also need a wheel straightened, but on eBay I can get the wheel brand new for $125 shipped.

brand new wheels for $125 or do you mean used ?

I did both, got a set of wheels on ebay and got mine straightened, now I have a spare set with my dulasport tires mounted

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

I've sent rims to MC Wheel for years, always good work and quick turn around.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.