Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Off-Road/ADV Boot

Off-Road/ADV Boot

As some of you know, I recently picked up a WR250R. I also have a Triumph Tiger 1200 I use primarily for touring and the occasional fire-road. My old motocross boots ripped apart on my recent off-road trip on the WR (lots of tight single-track with rocks/whoops/etc). I also found out on a recent multi-day rainy trip that my current touring boots are taking on water.

Here is my question: Is there a decent boot(s) that I can use for both off-road on the WR and also ride with all day on the Tiger? Or should I just buy a designated off-road boot and a separate set of touring boots?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Off-Road/ADV Boot

Forma adventure

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Forma essentially says on their page for the adventure boots that they aren’t dirtbike boots, and aren’t intended to be used as such.

My, .02: some dirtbike boots and some touring boots. The best you can afford of each, respectively.

Personally, I wear a set of aerostich combat tourers on the big bike, and sidi crossfires on the little bike, or when I really plan on getting stupid.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 03-07-19 at 07:51 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Check out the Sidi Adventure and the Alpinestars Toucan, they’re both the top-of-the line ADV-touring boots with goretex. I’ve tried/used them both, ended up keeping the Sidi’s, use them as my cool-weather/dualsport boots. The Sidi’s just came out with a version 2, so you may be able to get V1 on closeout (I got mine on eBay or advrider for ~half off). They’re both stiffer and bulkier than a sportbike boot, but not as much as a set of MX boots.

Full disclosure, I just bought a real dirtbike and want to attempt real trail/woods riding this year, found a lightly used pair of Sidi Crossfires at a real good deal so I bought those. I’ll be using those for when i trailer the dirtbike to the riding area, I wouldn’t want to do any real street riding in those. I’m a total dirt noob and want as much protection as I can get.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 03-07-19 at 07:28 AM.

Sidi Adventure is what I wear. They're awesome. You are definitely compromising rigidity on the dirty side though.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I would recommend that you try a few on first before you buy. For someone like me with a size 13 4E foot, SIDIs were WAY too narrow. Forma and TCX were the two I found to be decently wide (never tried Alpinestars).

I currently have Forma Adventures and they are very comfortable for all day use, on or off the bike. That said they are definitely not a protective/reinforced/rigid as true dirt bike boots, they're meant more for touring and comfort.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I have the Forma ADV boots. I have to confess to having used them for actual dirt riding on occasion. I did feel a bit naked, but they performed well. I use them for street, ice, dual sport, and flattrack riding. I really dig them. But I have the big, heavy sidi crossfires for MX and real rocky offroad.

Paul_E_D

I'll just echo what others have said, I wouldn't want to be doing singletrack and rocky stuff in anything but a full off road boot. First time you dab on a rock you'll wish you didn't. I bought a pair of Astars Tech 10's last year, they're really nice. That said, I wish I would have bought the Tech 7's instead.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Sidi adventure are great. Super comfortable and dry.

SIDI Agueda

buddy of mine is on his second pair, loves them. ligher weight, less bulk, more flex, but still off-road focused. both of his have taken a serious beating.

Beta 200RR

I've been using the Forma Adventure for a while now on trails/singletrack and some street.

Great boots for what they are. They have put up with a lot of punishment with almost no discernable wear. But, as others have mentioned, no serious protection. They have saved my shins several times, but I wouldn't trust them very far. Almost no ankle protection, likely why I ended up using these for several weeks after a nice getoff on a fire road. That said, without them it probably would have been a lot worse.

Since I do 99% singletrack/trails I'm looking at something tougher for this year.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

I'm also wearing the Sidi Adventures. I have a pair of the top-dog Goretex equipped boots that are several years old now. They are my go-to boot for all my street riding. They are okay-ish for off-road support. Great at the ankle. Not so much above mid-calf. Overall foot protection is good not great. My email history says these were shipped in June of 2013. I must have close to 50k miles under these boots now. They are very comfortable, very dry and very supportive. At this point they are due for a resole.. although still serviceable. Expensive as sin, but way worth it.

I wear Gaerne SG-10 on my "woods" bike.. and super-moto.. and sometimes-okay, rarely-on more hard-core ADV rides. These are very popular boots and super common with recreational to serious off road riders. I think they offer phenomenal protection and support. They have saved my feet, ankles and calves from so many stupid mistakes. Using mine in a sumo capacity means I've torn the hell out of the soles. Having them resoled is on my wish list. Biggest gripe is that they are really not that waterproof at all. They try, but they do leak. Also expensive. Also worth it.

Lifer

Odd - my SG-10's have been completely waterproof for over 6 years. Prior to them, I had 2 pairs of AlpineStar -Tech 3's both of which leaked badly right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I'll just echo what others have said, I wouldn't want to be doing singletrack and rocky stuff in anything but a full off road boot. First time you dab on a rock you'll wish you didn't. I bought a pair of Astars Tech 10's last year, they're really nice. That said, I wish I would have bought the Tech 7's instead.
    I can get the Tech 7's through work at 35% off retail. I'm seriously considering them but a little concerned about waterproofness.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post

My, .02: some dirtbike boots and some touring boots. The best you can afford of each, respectively.
    I think I'm leaning towards the two-boot approach but I have so many moto boots I was hoping to consolidate. I guess I should just pick the ones I actually wear often and get rid of the rest.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 03-07-19 at 12:35 PM.

FWIW my SIDIs leak like a sieve. Formas are dry so far.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

You know the stereo-type about women and footwear.. right. My motorcycle boot collection puts every woman I've ever known to shame at this point. Specialization is the way to go here.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I can also get O'Neal boots at a 45% discount. How do the RDX compare to the Tech 7's? O'Neal | RDX 2.2 White I didn't even realize O'Neal made boots.

Most oneal stuff I've seen is on the extreme low end, and priced accordingly. Those look the part, have a hinged ankle like many of the other brands comparably spec'd boots, and likewise, may be as good as anything else in that price range. At a glance, my only worry would be with those soles that are glued on like sneakers, but I have never owned a pair of dirt bike boots with that type construction, so I can't comment further.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

There is a difference between MX focused boots and woods focused boots as well. Some friends have bought the Fox/Nike/A-stars MX focused boots and wound up not thinking they offered enough protection for the woods riding they were doing.

As with bubba I have Gaerne SG10 (on my second pair) and they are comfortable enough to me that I would ADV ride in them. Another woods focused boot are the Sidi Crossfire. Not too sure about the SRS versions of the Sidi but the standard crossfire with the stitched on soles seem to be a popular choice.

I usually drive over to Xtreme Supply in signal hill and try them all on

2 sets of boots...most expensive you can afford

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    As with bubba I have Gaerne SG10...
    I'm an SG10 user as well and recommend them to anyone looking for quality off-road boots.

I'm also in the camp of having specific boots for on and off road applications.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 03-07-19 at 04:31 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    There is a difference between MX focused boots and woods focused boots as well. Some friends have bought the Fox/Nike/A-stars MX focused boots and wound up not thinking they offered enough protection for the woods riding they were doing.

As with bubba I have Gaerne SG10 (on my second pair) and they are comfortable enough to me that I would ADV ride in them. Another woods focused boot are the Sidi Crossfire. Not too sure about the SRS versions of the Sidi but the standard crossfire with the stitched on soles seem to be a popular choice.
    I could spend all day in a pair of Crossfires, but they are a pain to shift in a standard riding position, and you lose brake lever feel. I suspect that's going to be the case for all dedicated off-road boots. Also, metal hinges squeak when walking around.

I think my crossfires would be mostly waterproof while riding, but they get plenty of water entry during water crossing foot-dabs that I think comes from entry points around the SRS system.

I'd probably be looking to have both a touring boot and an off-road boot. But my footwear collection might be getting out of hand.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    You know the stereo-type about women and footwear.. right. My motorcycle boot collection puts every woman I've ever known to shame at this point. Specialization is the way to go here.
    Hah.. we have a serious footwear problem in our house. My absurd collection of shoes for every activity & season (hiking/running is nearly as bad as moto).. now my daughter is at "that age" and I swear they are having a competition for who can own the most shoes.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I can also get O'Neal boots at a 45% discount. How do the RDX compare to the Tech 7's? O'Neal | RDX 2.2 White I didn't even realize O'Neal made boots.
    I had a pair of Tech7, was one of my favorite boots at the time. That said, if I were looking at tech7, I’d upgrade to the tech8. There are 2 models of the tech8... standard tech8, and tech8 light. The lights are vented and the standards are not.
    They seems like a great middle of the road boot priced slightly above half of the cost of a high end boot. I also like that you can take the inner bootie out and send it through the wash after every ride.

Yamaha

Lifer

Another nod for the Sidi Adventure. I got the goretex model from Germany for a lot less than what they sell for in the US. They are a decent compromise and are waterproof.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg