Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Road Glide vs. Street Glide

Road Glide vs. Street Glide

*Yeah, I took this off another thread. Didn't want it to get lost in that one:

Sooooo...let's hear the arguments about Street Glide or Road Glide. I won't tell you my preference yet - it may surprise some.

I have friends from each stable. A couple have made the switch to & from and only really mention how much heavier the front end feels on the Street Glide when maneuvering at parking lot speeds. I've ridden both and they feel remarkably similar. Not being used to either, the "heavy front end at low speeds" really didn't hit me on the Street Glide. I found the instruments much more convenient on the Street Glide though, and admittedly I didn't spend much time on either. Definitely not enough to take in a wide variety of riding conditions. Basically quick blasts on local NH roads and short rips on NH highway (route 28 up my way).

So go on. And let's keep it to the Street & Road Glide.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Re: Road Glide vs. Street Glide

Do you prefer long goatees or tribal tattoos?

Har har...I know...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    *Yeah, I took this off another thread. Didn't want it to get lost in that one:

Sooooo...let's hear the arguments about Street Glide or Road Glide. I won't tell you my preference yet - it may surprise some.

I have friends from each stable. A couple have made the switch to & from and only really mention how much heavier the front end feels on the Street Glide when maneuvering at parking lot speeds. I've ridden both and they feel remarkably similar. Not being used to either, the "heavy front end at low speeds" really didn't hit me on the Street Glide. I found the instruments much more convenient on the Street Glide though, and admittedly I didn't spend much time on either. Definitely not enough to take in a wide variety of riding conditions. Basically quick blasts on local NH roads and short rips on NH highway (route 28 up my way).

So go on. And let's keep it to the Street & Road Glide.
    So.... coming from a devout sportbike fan, who’s slightly coming around to hogs...

They are both generic baggers to me.

I really think we are coming to the end of the bagger craze, so are you sure you want one, and don’t want a bike you can throw soft bags on and off, and maybe a screen on and off?

But alas keep it to the bikes mentioned.

Road Glide looks cooler with its dual head lamp ala first gixxers and and ninjas.

But it has a fixed fairing.

Might the sport glide fairing and lamp that goes side to side come in useful or welcome at some point?

Sooooo.... dual headlamp for the win?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I gave you my findings, but I have never taken a Streetglide for a ride personally. I will add however, a lot of the guys on the Roadglide forum previously owned SG’s and won’t look back. Most of them say the same thing, on long hauls the RG is where it’s at. The SG would fatigue you much quicker, and forget about getting stuck behind a semi.
    Might be interesting to browse a SG forum and see how many were previous RG owner’s and why they made the switch.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Last summer I rode a 19' RG and a 16 Ultra Classic Limited back to back. The ultra classic isn't a SG but it's got the batwing fairing on it. Other than the weight of the tour pack I'm not 100% positive what else differentiates it from a SG so I guess take this with a grain of salt. I rode both for about 50 miles so it's not like I was touring cross country on them. I definitely preferred the RG though. The bike felt easier to handle at stops and parking. The forks moving independent of the fairing seemed like it made the bike easier to handle. Pretty much everything about the height and comfort can be changed so I won't comment on that.

Last edited by 01xj; 02-05-20 at 07:21 PM.

Lifer

My friend has 2018 Road Glide.

He’s offered to let me ride it.

It was allegedly $26,000ish?

I’m petrified to ride it.

Lifer

Ugh.. please don't call these things "hogs". Makes me cringe.

Road Glide vs. Street Glide-wild-hogs-png

My whole exposure to the RG is a rip around the block at the HD demo event @ loudon a couple years back. All things being equal, RG all day every day. I'm a function over form guy.... Except not this time.
    For me the form plays a huge role in the appeal of the harley touring lineup. And unfortunately I grew up with an FLH in the house. The round head-light and bat-wing are my jam. The RG just doesn't quite do it. The SG & Electra has the look. And the look is half the reason you buy one of these. Otherwise just go get a goldwing!

Were I buying new Harley touring right now I'd be all over the FLHT Electraglide Standard. All the good stuff none of the fluff. The 'special' treatment (ie SGS) sucks. Giant front wheel. Chopped rear. (Because these things need less suspension travel. Yeah, sure they do!) Gross.
    Or seek out a used FLHTP police. That's what I wish I'd done instead of the Road King Police + after-market batwing I wound up with. I thought I'd be popping the batwing off at least once a week. It's more like once per season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    My friend has 2018 Road Glide.

He’s offered to let me ride it.

I’m petrified to ride it.
    I was terrified too. Wife's uncle doesn't really show it much but they have f**k you money. Ordered the Road Glide because the Ultra was "a little heavy for running errands". Had all the mods he wanted done installed at the dealership. Has them picked up with the dealer's truck with the hydraulic loading ramp. He tossed me the keys to both when we were down there. I liked them but I got another 10 years on young guy bikes I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road Glide vs. Street Glide-image1565725815704-jpg  

Lifer

It's what these things cost these days.
    A Gold Wing Tour starts at $27,500 now. Starts..

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    It's what these things cost these days.
    A Gold Wing Tour starts at $27,500 now. Starts..
    Ya but with an air bag and Japanese engineering, totally worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I was terrified too. Wife's uncle doesn't really show it much but they have f**k you money. Ordered the Road Glide because the Ultra was "a little heavy for running errands". Had all the mods he wanted done installed at the dealership. Has them picked up with the dealer's truck with the hydraulic loading ramp. He tossed me the keys to both when we were down there. I liked them but I got another 10 years on young guy bikes I think.
    “What’s the point of having fuck you money if you never get to say fuck you..”

Lifer

..Japanese engineering, totally worth it.
    Oh please.

Busa. You guys are slacking.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Hypertarded

Oh please.
    Partial to the AstroGlide myself....

Aesthetically batwing all the way, especially from the saddle.
    If I were to buy one, it would be a real conundrum for me.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

So.... coming from a devout sportbike fan, who’s slightly coming around to hogs...

They are both generic baggers to me.

I really think we are coming to the end of the bagger craze, so are you sure you want one, and don’t want a bike you can throw soft bags on and off, and maybe a screen on and off?

But alas keep it to the bikes mentioned.

Road Glide looks cooler with its dual head lamp ala first gixxers and and ninjas.

But it has a fixed fairing.

Might the sport glide fairing and lamp that goes side to side come in useful or welcome at some point?

Sooooo.... dual headlamp for the win?
    I don't like soft bags, nor a detachable screen. These hardbags do indeed come off lickity split if I prefer that look.

I'm not a big fan of the look of the RG's fairing. It smacks of early Vetter aftermarket fairings to me. Just kind of looks awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I gave you my findings, but I have never taken a Streetglide for a ride personally. I will add however, a lot of the guys on the Roadglide forum previously owned SG’s and won’t look back. Most of them say the same thing, on long hauls the RG is where it’s at. The SG would fatigue you much quicker, and forget about getting stuck behind a semi.
    Might be interesting to browse a SG forum and see how many were previous RG owner’s and why they made the switch.
    Points taken.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Last summer I rode a 19' RG and a 16 Ultra Classic Limited back to back. The ultra classic isn't a SG but it's got the batwing fairing on it. Other than the weight of the tour pack I'm not 100% positive what else differentiates it from a SG so I guess take this with a grain of salt. I rode both for about 50 miles so it's not like I was touring cross country on them. I definitely preferred the RG though. The bike felt easier to handle at stops and parking. The forks moving independent of the fairing seemed like it made the bike easier to handle. Pretty much everything about the height and comfort can be changed so I won't comment on that.
    That's pretty much what I come away with comparing the two. Again, with limited exposure as yourself.

Ugh.. please don't call these things "hogs". Makes me cringe.

Road Glide vs. Street Glide-wild-hogs-png

My whole exposure to the RG is a rip around the block at the HD demo event @ loudon a couple years back. All things being equal, RG all day every day. I'm a function over form guy.... Except not this time.
    For me the form plays a huge role in the appeal of the harley touring lineup. And unfortunately I grew up with an FLH in the house. The round head-light and bat-wing are my jam. The RG just doesn't quite do it. The SG & Electra has the look. And the look is half the reason you buy one of these. Otherwise just go get a goldwing!

Were I buying new Harley touring right now I'd be all over the FLHT Electraglide Standard. All the good stuff none of the fluff. The 'special' treatment (ie SGS) sucks. Giant front wheel. Chopped rear. (Because these things need less suspension travel. Yeah, sure they do!) Gross.
    Or seek out a used FLHTP police. That's what I wish I'd done instead of the Road King Police + after-market batwing I wound up with. I thought I'd be popping the batwing off at least once a week. It's more like once per season.
    As I pointed out, I'm not a big fan of the fairing on the RG's. To me, it almost looks like it doesn't belong there. I like the classic look of the SG's front end while keeping that dirty down & low rear of the RG's & SG's. And I LOVE the instrument placement & infotainment location of the SG.

Lifer

Wow, seems like SG in a landslide. Isn’t the RG technically higher in the model range?

I have ridden both the SG and own a RG. The difference to me is how open the RG cockpit feels compared to the SG. The SG faring is right up to the bars and is close to you. On the RG I feel like I'm in a 60's Cadi compared the Jeep windshield in your face of the SG. That's why I chose the RG.

The ride at ulra fast speeds (>105mph) on the RG is supposed to be stable. The SG's I'm told will do it but can go into a wobble that escalates rather quickly. Same with 80mph and 25mph gusts.

But that's not what these bikes are about. They are about choosing a style over function. I've had the big K1600GTL and the thing eats miles with the alignment table smoothness only a big 6 cylinder bike can deliver. Yet the Harley has surprisingly better integration for GPS and audio. I never was one for music while riding but the HD welcomes the background soundtrack to your real-life, GoPro like, background music.

As an only bike I'd have to choose an ADV bike. But as a second bike it's a relaxing scoot for the back roads and an easy pace.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Lifer

Yeah. I think the RG is the top dog in the lineup. Although they have Ultras in both. I also think it is a superior design. Mind vs heart; I like the batwing look better. YMMV. Fortunately they make both.

The single worst thing about my RK is the idiotic tank mounted gauges. Fortunately mine is a cop bike and has the speedo on the bars where it should be. The gauge on the tank is just a tach. Turn signal and high-beam indicators are entirely out of view though.

As I say, I thought I'd value having a detachable screen more than I do. I'd trade my FLHP for an FLHTP of the same vintage in a heartbeat. But I've made my bed. And it really ain't so bad.

Wow, seems like SG in a landslide. Isn’t the RG technically higher in the model range?
    I guess you could say that. Like, one step up the ladder.

FWIW - I'm amazed at what some of the HD's have to offer in terms of technology. Touch screens, satellite radio, Bluetooth, USB docking, navigation, etc.

Lifer

And it is very usable. Way, way more-so than any equivalent from any of the asian brands (in this segment at least). Possibly more usable than the BMWs.

And it is very usable. Way, way more-so than any equivalent from any of the asian brands (in this segment at least). Possibly more usable than the BMWs.
    I'm shocked at the features. Shocked. Love the touch screen and will definitely renew my Sirius/XM subscription. Another thing I like over the RG is that on the SG it seems like the touch screen and manual controls are within a much better reach - for me anyway.

Some folks mention feeling claustrophobic on the SG. It actually feels the other way around to me. Although the fairing on the RG is further away, with it's fixed position, it kind of gives me that "locked in" feeling.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast