Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Road Glide vs. Street Glide

Lifer

Re: Road Glide vs. Street Glide

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    And it is very usable. Way, way more-so than any equivalent from any of the asian brands (in this segment at least). Possibly more usable than the BMWs.
    It’s to entertain you when you’re broken down on the side of the road

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

A former coworker of mine was really into Harleys and was a great resource for the brand. Furthermore, he actually rode...A lot. This is one of the more interesting details about him. He was legitimately into bikes and knew his stuff, yet he rode Harley's. He actually didn't get into Harley's until he was just over 50 and his history before that stretches accross the board, starting with vintage race bikes (he was once an avid racer) and moving up to the touring level as he aged. He is very humble and not brand loyal.

A while back another coworder asked him the SG vs RG question since he had owned both over the years. He said each has their pros and cons to both but nothing that really leads to one ranking above the other. In the end it's all a matter of preference. I remember him dwelling on the fact that the "cons" of the SG aren't that significant and he much preferred it over the RG because he liked the placement of the fairing much better. When I pressed about the supposed shake associated with the batwing he said it wasn't an issue. This is coming from a guy who rode into work daily rain or shine with an hour and a half commute.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    . When I pressed about the supposed shake associated with the batwing he said it wasn't an issue. This is coming from a guy who rode into work daily rain or shine with an hour and a half commute.
    I ride alot too. I have an ultra classic where everything is on a quick detach and unless I am doing a trip the tourpak stays in the garage and it looks and acts more like a SG. The batwing shake is real, not common, but real. I no real seat time on a RG so I can't compare, I have about 35K miles more to go until I'll be looking for a new bike. I also dont like the detachable fairings and bags. Its amazing what you can pack and leave on the bike with the fixed bags, rain gear, tire plug kit, better than factory tool kit, sun screen, hat for helmet hair, spare gloves, glasses and lunch. I ride most days rain or shine and pack my lunch so thats huge for me.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I've spent far more time on a Street Glide than I have on a Road Glide. With that being said, theoretically, I would prefer a Road Glide.

There are a few things that I did not enjoy about the Street Glide that I would expect would be improved on the Road Glide. First, the buffeting coming from the windshield that is set at a useless height. It is too low to be effective and it directs all the wind right to your helmet. At highway speeds this is very annoying. Second, the rear suspension is horrible on the Street Glide. Coupled with the feet forward riding position, your back will take up every bump. The Road Glide (depending on various sub-models) should have the standard touring rear suspension, not the lower rear suspension equipped on the Street Glide. These are both correctable problems though if you prefer the look and handling of the Street Glide over the Road Glide.

The Road Glide may put gauges and accessories further out of reach. As far as handling on the highway goes, unfortunately I haven't spent enough time on one to give a valid opinion. On shorter rides, I enjoyed a Road Glide and I suspect that, given the choice between owning either, I would prefer the Road Glide.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    I've spent far more time on a Street Glide than I have on a Road Glide. With that being said, theoretically, I would prefer a Road Glide.

There are a few things that I did not enjoy about the Street Glide that I would expect would be improved on the Road Glide. First, the buffeting coming from the windshield that is set at a useless height. It is too low to be effective and it directs all the wind right to your helmet. At highway speeds this is very annoying. Second, the rear suspension is horrible on the Street Glide. Coupled with the feet forward riding position, your back will take up every bump. The Road Glide (depending on various sub-models) should have the standard touring rear suspension, not the lower rear suspension equipped on the Street Glide. These are both correctable problems though if you prefer the look and handling of the Street Glide over the Road Glide.

The Road Glide may put gauges and accessories further out of reach. As far as handling on the highway goes, unfortunately I haven't spent enough time on one to give a valid opinion. On shorter rides, I enjoyed a Road Glide and I suspect that, given the choice between owning either, I would prefer the Road Glide.
    I should have mentioned that I'm currently looking at the Street Glide Special. Comes with the upgraded shocks, toolless adjustable.

The fairings were supposed to be improved somewhere about 2014, which is what I'm looking at.

Thanks for the input though!

Lifer

Just looked and I think the standard RG may be the raked out, lowered rear, big front wheel config as the SG is. (Did they always have a standard SG? Or was it the SG "special" until this year? Oh, they still have a SGS as well? WTF...)

They have the RG limited and the Ultra limited. Ultra being the same batwing setup as the SG. Both limiteds have the 18" chunky front, rather than the 19" skinny. I'm betting both have the taller touring rear shocks too.

I bet the standard and "special" SG and RG bikes are both the lower rear and big wheel. While the Ultra and RG limited is the touring config. If you want a SG with the touring wheels and suspension you can go for the Electra-Glide standard. But then you get no wiz-bang electronics. Electronics + touring config => Limited (either Ultra or RG), but that brings a top-box. Want to ditch that? Do the conversion like sheppo has.

Lots of variables. You can get almost any combo you want. Almost.

Also interesting is I was wrong; it looks like all RG models are priced a few $ less than equivalent bat-wing models. Although only by a bit. Top dog, all in, coolest kid on the block is a CVO Ultra limited.. priced in at FOURTY FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. Aka a very nice home downpayment. Seems HD puts the batwing at the top of the pile, RG below it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I should have mentioned that I'm currently looking at the Street Glide Special. Comes with the upgraded shocks, tool less adjustable.

The fairings were supposed to be improved somewhere about 2014, which is what I'm looking at.

Thanks for the input though!
    Definitely worth noting: my experience is based mostly on 2008-2010 models.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Top dog, all in, coolest kid on the block is a CVO Ultra limited.. priced in at FOURTY FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. Aka a very nice home downpayment. Seems HD puts the batwing at the top of the pile, RG below it.
    Down payment?!? My first house was only a little more than that!

Holy fuck, I sound like my parents!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    The batwing shake is real, not common, but real. .
    He didn't say it was non-existant, he just said it wasn't something that bothered him or would push him toward the RG over the SG.

The two Harley baggers that I've owned(Roadglide and ElectraGlide) with a combined 50k+ miles required far less maintenance and were much more reliable than any of the Japanese sport bikes I've owned.

This "Harley is an unreliable, oil pissing paperweight" shit has been outdated for 20+ years. Anyone who continues to spout it clearly has never owned or ridden one.

I call bullshit.

But finally I’m not the one triggered.
    Not triggered, just stating facts. And there's nothing to "call bullshit on." I'm not basing my claim off of second or third hand hearsay, I'm making that statement based on my own personal ownership. Once purchased, the two Harley's I've owned cost me far less in upkeep than my CBR, GSX-R, both TL1000R's, or my Daytona 675.

Lifer

Johnny is right.
    Modern Harleys are perfectly reliable.
    "More" reliable may be a thing to argue over. But only on the internet as in reality they are both (Japanese brands and Harley) reliable motorcycles.
    The 80's were 40 years ago. Stuff is different now.

Good thing that’s what I said. First made a clear joke. Then had a Harley hardo over exaggerate, and I called bullshit.

“Much more reliable”. He sounds like trump.

As far as upkeep, oh, a cutting edge race replicas materials might have been a bit more top shelf than an archaic vtwin cruiser? Did u not know that going in?

Not really much of an argument to truly validate the cost of a Harley except you’re buying into an image.

But none of it matters.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just dressed up Sportsters.

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Down payment?!? My first house was only a little more than that!

Holy fuck, I sound like my parents!

Boomer.

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Boomer.
    Ha ha! Not even close...

After transitioning over from Jap sport bikes to a Harley I must say I am pleasantly surprised at what I've learned in regards to Harley reliability. They are in fact super reliable and also VERY easy to maintain. Their crudeness yields a simplicity that's grown on me. In terms of basic maintenance and services, I've never owned something so easy to work on.

Thanks for totally fucking up my thread, asshole!

Now I have to sift through this bullshit.

Bit the bullet and FINALLY settled on a low mileage 2017 Street Glide Special.

Road Glide vs. Street Glide-sg-jpg

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I think you are going to love that motorcycle

I for one think you got yourself an awesome ride. I Totally would upgrade my 2000 Road King for this... LOL
    Congratulations!

When I go Harley this is what I'm going with. Congrats looks awesome.

I think you made a great choice. I think that twin cam motor was the last true H-D motor. The newer 4 valve head motors just don't have that off idle torque. Sure they run a bit hotter but they pull down low better than the new M8 engine. Plus they sound 100 times better with simple slip on exhaust. Best of luck with it.

Send cash... I need a track day

Lifer

Interesting.

I think the heat thing is undeniable. I have a '14 with the 103 twin-cam and it is very, very warm. I'm told I could solve a lot of that if I were to delete the cat. I normally would never even think about it, but the heat is bad enough that I have considered it. Mine will never see a slip-on.

The M8 I demo'ed definitely ran cooler, stock. This is the first take I've seen claiming there is less torque. Overall I found the M8 machine smoother and more powerful, although not significantly so. The smoothness at idle was a little weird for a Harley. But being I'm not Harleys typical demographic that actually appealed. Both my TC and the M8 were comparably smooth underway. It amazes me that the motor can shake so much at idle yet be so silky smooth at ~2k RPM and above.

And I do find the bottom end torque addicting. I love launching the bike. Kind of reminds me of the Bandit 1200 I had as a fresh college grad.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast