Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Road Race

Road Race

Has anyone done The Penguin Road Racing School.

FireBallF4i

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Road Race

I did it on my R1. Totally awesome experience having never been "on" a track before. I have been out to Willow Springs before, but not on a bike. Do it!

Jeff
    Y2k R1 Wolf underseat exhaust
    WR blue wrx wagon

Road Race

Thanks Sprocket for your response. I was thinking about doin it on July 5. I don't know anything about safety wireing my bike to do it. Maybe you could give me some advice. I wanna pump my speed up and lean the bike way over but, not on a country road where I don't know what the road condition is around the apex of the turn. I can't wait to do the track. You don't live to far from me either. Maybe we could do a ride and talk about it. I take Rt. 4 some times to ride to work.

Thanx again.

Wayne

Road Race

I'd do a track day before you try a school. Track days are much more casual, and they're usually broken up into two or three groups to separate the experienced from unexperienced. And the prep needed for track days are much less involved...

I've never done Penguin, but from what I understand, they're there to help you go fast around NHIS. Not necessarily help you be a better street rider. From what I've been told, you'd benefit more from a more instructional class. There are several held at NHIS every year...

But if you're looking to learn NHIS and get your racing license and do a rookie race there, Penguin is definitely the way to go...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Road Race

Jay's advice is sound. Penguin is very good, but, unlike a track day which teaches you how to ride around the track, Penguin's focus is on how to ride the track fast. So it might not be exactly what you are looking for at this stage. Regardless of what you do, going to the track if you have not honed street skills can be asking for trouble. While you are less likely to get seriously racked up if you crash at the track v. the street, the likelihood of crashing at the track is many times greater than on the street. This I believe is due to several factors: 1. people feel that it is safer to speed so they ride harder than they should at the track. 2. MANY people that do track days unfortunately have limited street and riding skills and are not of sufficient skill level to push the speed that they do, which results in a crash (usually a low side).

Unless your immediate goal is to get your racing license, I'd do a track day first. That's the politically correct statement. My real thought is that street skills matter most, so if you want to get proficient at riding, RIDE MORE. Practice, practice, practice.

Chuck
    '02 Duc 998S Bostrom

Road Race

If you are not looking to get the license, go to Street rider day. Friday before race weekend school is for all "Nicky Hayden wannabes" who are looking to race that weekend. Street rider day is essentially same format as a track day, except you get to walk around the track with Eric Wood in the morning. He basically walks his racing line and talks about it.

Edit: No safety wiring required for that day. Only water in radiator is required and usual taping of lights and removal of license plate/mirrors. They recommend wiring at least oil and drain plugs, but it is just a recommendation.

[Edited on 5/21/02 by eug]